PDA

View Full Version : What is this "ANASTIGMAT PORTRAIT 270MM F6.3" lens?

Frank Petronio
29-Jun-2008, 19:26
Just curious... I doubt a no-name junker would be in a nice Compur -- but no brand name -- wadda think? Seems over priced at $300 except for the shutter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110265772014&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

Jon Wilson
29-Jun-2008, 19:42
Keep it for 30+ years and then call it a Verito....you will then be able to sell it for $800 not counting inflation factors. :)

It may be an Illex lens which even they did not wish to claim! :0

Paul Fitzgerald
29-Jun-2008, 19:43
Looks too new to be a B&J house brand, maybe Cambridge Camera. Could be worth it if you need the shutter.

John Cahill
29-Jun-2008, 19:52
Re: Mystery portrait lens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote on:
No mystery it is a Rodenstock 270 tele that was discontinued by Rodenstock and Linhof purchased all that were left and labeled them "Portrait" We sold the last ones in 1981 or 82.
Quote off.

Cut and pasted from an earlier thread. The "We" is B and H, and it was posted by Bob Salomon.

Jim Galli
29-Jun-2008, 20:30
I'll throw my guess into the pool to see if it floats to the top. Some big house like Ritz or Prinz camera buyer buys a bunch of 270mm off brand telephotos and they're so bad that they sit around for a few years until some smart guy makes up new front spinners that say "Portrait". The magic word for every lens that sucks right?

jnantz
29-Jun-2008, 20:41
Taylor-Hobson Cooke made something called an anastigmat portrait lens,
but it was a f4.5 / 380mm ...

John Cahill
29-Jun-2008, 21:08
With Bob Salomon saying its a Rodenstock via Linhof and B and H, I might think I should be bidding on it. Just don't tell anyone.

Darryl Baird
30-Jun-2008, 06:43
I wouldn't bid on it, and wait to see if it gets relisted... there is some good stuff from the seller's other auctions. But that price is way high for an unknown manufacturer and style/type. IMHO

Ask if he/she has taken photos with the lens... claims "Takes amazing photos." Shutter inscribed "Made in West Germany," but have have been for a previous lens...??

Bob Salomon
30-Jun-2008, 07:22
I wouldn't bid on it, and wait to see if it gets relisted... there is some good stuff from the seller's other auctions. But that price is way high for an unknown manufacturer and style/type. IMHO

Ask if he/she has taken photos with the lens... claims "Takes amazing photos." Shutter inscribed "Made in West Germany," but have have been for a previous lens...??

No mystery. It was a Rodenstock tele lens sold private label by Linhof in the early 1980's. Covered a 158mm circle at f22 at infinity. It had a 57mm front diameter and no filter size was listed for it Covered 32 degrees AT F22 AT infinity. It was a pretty good lens.

Unfortunately we no longer have copies of our price lists from when this lens was current so we can not pass on what it cost back then. If I remember correctly Ken Hansen bought most of them from us.

Bob Salomon
30-Jun-2008, 07:23

The lens and shutter were both made in what was then called West Germany. The lens in the Rodenstock plant.