PDA

View Full Version : My darkroom is...

Ash
29-Jun-2008, 16:43
....tiny, crap, cramped, ill-equiped and stuffy, but I wouldn't be without it.

I managed to develop a couple 4x5 Kodalith Ortho negatives, rated EI-10 in Suprol 1+10 by inspection (a few minutes, 5 tops?). I then went about printing some of my 35mm negs I'd not gotten around to yet.

Rather than on RC or FB paper, I used the Direct Print Kodak Linagraph 1895 6"x100' paper. It's very difficult to use. Same developer as above, but maybe 1-5 seconds exposure (where a sheet of Ilford MG RC would take 30-50 seconds). The resolution of the paper is very low. It looks more like a dodgy old facsimile, but that's quite nice sometimes. The pink tone isn't though!

So there I am sat on the floor in a tiny little shed with a Beseler CB-7 in front of me, with a wobbly Super Chromega F 10x10 diffusion head attached above the 5x5 condenser. I lean across the power supplies and drop each exposed paper into one of three 12x16 trays squeezed into the corner, and as I turn around, past the 'stored' LPL6700 and the pile of crap with a safelight and fan on top, I reach the little film drying cabinet that is full of the Linagraphs I have drying out inside.

Above me and along the walls are spider's webs, and a new feature by the door is a miniature (hopefully abandoned) wasp nest. I'll be removing this nest tomorrow!

This darkroom is impossible to use, but I make it work because I just can't bear a pure-digital workflow.

Patrik Roseen
29-Jun-2008, 17:15
Enjoy your darkroom Ash.

I build and tear down my temporary darkroom in my apartment bathroom. My Linhof condenser enlarger (4x5") with a Componon-S 150mm sits on the rim of the bathtub together with the developer tray (50x60cm). The fix tray (same size) is located under the bathtub. I use a jobo drum for the stop bath by rolling it on the floor. The safelight is located on the lid of the T-seat. The washer tray is on my kitchen sink and the papers dry on my refriger and freezer doors held up with magnets. My current exhibition was created there i.e. 14 bw prints...people would only know. Do I wish for a permanent darkroom? YOU BET!

jasonjoo
29-Jun-2008, 17:36
That sure is dedication Ash! I work out of my bathroom for now, but have only been developing 35mm and 120 roll film. It's easier with the inversion tank, but once my Chamonix gets here, I'm not sure if I should invest in a dip/dunk system or try tray processing! Maybe even a Jobo system, but those are quite expensive.

Best of luck in your darkroom. I'm sure the time spent in there is well worth it!

Jason

Mark Woods
29-Jun-2008, 17:55
Guys, your commitment to making pictures on in a wet environment is amazing. I built my dark room from the foundation up. It's not large, but it can handle up to 20x24 inch enlargements without too much of a problem. The Besler enlarger has an 8x10 cool light head and a Metrolux II timer. It is insulated beyond belief to keep the heat out and has forced filtered air that goes under the foundation and exits next to the enlarger -- all powered with muffin fans in 6" PVC pipe. I can't imagine the effort and stamina you guys go through. My hat's off you!!

BTW, I am going to begin podcasting my street photography (mostly 35mm, but some 2 1/4 x 2 1/4) from Berkeley 1968 -- 1973. A lot of the material was used for my graduation project in Anthropology from Cal. I'll post a notice when I get it all up and running.

Hang in there.

Glenn Thoreson
29-Jun-2008, 18:33
My hat is off to you, Ash! I guess I can't complain about my piece-o-crap darkroom, after all. :D

Bill_1856
29-Jun-2008, 18:47
For the first time in nearly 40 years I don't have a darkroom. And you know what?
I don't miss it!

ic-racer
29-Jun-2008, 20:08
Commitment, dedication and hard work...the ingredients of artistic expression. Computers, digital storage media, ink-jet printers, built in obscelscence...the ingredients of consumerism.

Greg Lockrey
29-Jun-2008, 20:15
For the first time in nearly 40 years I don't have a darkroom. And you know what?
I don't miss it!

:):) I know what you mean but I've been looking into alternative processes lately. Namely ziatype and carbon. I guess I'll need a wet area for these won't I.

Ash
30-Jun-2008, 03:28
I'm too embarrassed to post a photo of the mess in there, but I might just do so for you all.

That way I can explain what is there, what shouldn't be there, and what will be there soon.

I've been using this shed darkroom as-is for almost a year now.

Prior to that I had a Rank-35mm and Gnome-6x6 enlargers both on the same cylinder column located on a desk in my room. I'd pad around the door with bedsheets and once the print was exposed I'd place it in the Paterson Orbital.

From there I'd rush down the stairs and into the utility room (full of clothes and home appliances now, but once the site of my mother's temporary darkroom) and fill up the developer, stop, fix, rinse. Dry the Orbital, then rush back upstairs.

Doing that for maybe twenty 5x7 prints at around 11-12pm at night was enough to convince my parents to give up a shed to save their downtime ;)

Patrik Roseen
30-Jun-2008, 04:03
I'm too embarrassed to post a photo of the mess in there, but I might just do so for you all.

That way I can explain what is there, what shouldn't be there, and what will be there soon.

I've been using this shed darkroom as-is for almost a year now.

Prior to that I had a Rank-35mm and Gnome-6x6 enlargers both on the same cylinder column located on a desk in my room. I'd pad around the door with bedsheets and once the print was exposed I'd place it in the Paterson Orbital.

From there I'd rush down the stairs and into the utility room (full of clothes and home appliances now, but once the site of my mother's temporary darkroom) and fill up the developer, stop, fix, rinse. Dry the Orbital, then rush back upstairs.

Doing that for maybe twenty 5x7 prints at around 11-12pm at night was enough to convince my parents to give up a shed to save their downtime ;)

I look forward to the pictures of your darkroom Ash.

It seems these type of darkrooms are nearly always used in the middle of the night. Maybe it's because of the difficulty to have them light tight.

My darkroom (bathroom) is located at the end of a 4 meter long hallway, and to keep the darkroom dark during the work I need to switch the light off outside, i.e. in the hallway. I wonder what my neighbours think I am doing when they here the rolling sound on the floor, the pouring water in the sink and the bad words as I stumble through the hallway in the dark.
Will they call the police?

Ash
30-Jun-2008, 04:21
Here we go then:

That's the mess left over from last night in the utility room. Beneath that directly is a tumbledryer, and under the sink is a plastic storage container with 5L bottles of develop, fix, and the 35mm/120 developing tank.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02291.jpg

Now for the shed...

Light trap:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02292.jpg

The Beseler/Chromega
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02294.jpg

The Developing trays right next to the power supply. Here I want to get that platform off the floor. Raise it to a good height, have the LPL enlarger right next to the Beseler, with the power supply below. Although the fan will need moving to avoid excessive vibrations.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02295.jpg

Ash
30-Jun-2008, 04:22
If I got that extra storage space sorted then all this wouldn't be in the way....stored LPL, safelight on top facing away from chemicals.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02299.jpg

Right by the door, the drying cabinet. This should be against the other wall, but it is about 2ft or more in the wrong place due to mess and lack of space.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/DSC02296.jpg