PDA

View Full Version : Phillips cameras, any experience?

Ellis Vener
24-Sep-1998, 12:45
Anyone in here with experience with Phillips cameras? I have this slightly insan e idea to get an 8x1o camera and my choices have narrowed to Canham and Phillips . Canham I am familiar with so some input about Phillips would be helpful. Thank you! Ellis Vener Houston, Texas

Brian Ellis
27-Sep-1998, 11:38
If you're interested in a new Phillips 8x10 you'd better move quickly. I believe Phillips recently announced that they are discontinuing manufacture of everything other than 4x5, though you might want to check with them on this rather than taking my word as gospel. FWIW, I've played around with the basic Phillips model 8x10, I believe it's called the "Compact." It was amazingly light for an 8x10 - 5 or 6 pounds. The downsides were (1) very short bellows - I think on the order of 20", and (2) no ability to take verticals, unless you shifted the camera on its side (not a comfortable thing to do with an 8x10, even one as light as this).

B.Woods
3-Oct-1998, 14:09
I have had the opportunity to own two Phillips cameras 1)the Compact and the 2) Advantage. The Advantage has more bellows extension 30inches and weighs approximately 8.8lbs, while the original CompactI only weighed 7.4lbs and only had 22 inches of bellows extension. Both were useful field cameras and could be used vertically as well as horizontally. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

B.Woods
3-Oct-1998, 14:26
I would like to add to my prior comments about Phillip cameras that there is another model known as the "8x10 Explorer Series" and this is the model which the other person is commenting on. This model weighs 5.6lbs and has 21 inches of bellows extension and is basically a horizontal format camera. The other models Compact I,II,and Advantage are all horizontal and vertical format cameras. The Explorer models are backpacking models.

Ellis Vener
3-Oct-1998, 16:00
Thank you for your notes about th Phillips cameras. Since posting my questions I have decided not to pursue 8x10 in the immediate future. the Phillips appear to be very good cameras, but if I do decide to pursue larger than 4x5 format again I will probably go with the 5x7 or 8x10 Canham. If you do not mind me asking: are you primarily a photographer of landscapes, ar chitecture/environments, people or still life? And why did you choose the Philli ps over the other choices?