PDA

View Full Version : Wide angle fall off which lens

Larry Gaskill
29-Jan-2001, 15:37
I am just moving into LF.

I understand that there usually is light fall off with 90mm and wider.

Would the XL 72mm Super (the new schneider lenses)minimize light fall off with a 4X5

I have selected the 210mm Schneider Symnar 5.6 I need to select another wider lens

Thanks

Pete Caluori
29-Jan-2001, 16:33
Greetings,

I have the 72XL and center filter. If you use this lens without movements you can do away with the center filter, but if you plan on any kind of movements (and this lens can provide plenty) you should get the center filter. It will be most apparent if you are shooting chromes and have an evenly tones subject (i.e. the sky.) Personally, I use the CF every time I shoot this lens.

Regards,

Ellis Vener
29-Jan-2001, 17:06
You are right that there is usually light fall off with lenses of 90mm and below but to what extent it becomes a problem is partially a factor of (A.) the size of the image circle projected by that lens; (B.) the amount of shift involved; (C.) the subject matter (some subjects show the problem more than others -- this might be also related to where you are focusing, the closer you are focusing the larger image circle projected becomes since the lens is moved further away from the film plane when you focus closer); And (D.) the maker ofthe lens.

My experience is that Schneider Super Angulon lenses (excluding the XL series) seem to have more noticable fall off than similar Rodenstock Grandagons or Nikon SW-Nikkors. (i.e when comparing a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon to a 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon, or a 65mm f/5.6 Super Angulon to a 65mm f/4.5 Grandagon or 65mm f/4 Nikkor SW.)

andrea milano
31-Jan-2001, 15:33
..........On the other hand the fall off in landscape tends to help sky color saturation and if movements are kept within a 1>2 cm displacement should be acceptable. By the way fall off happens in all lenses, the thing is that we rarely see it due to not taking pictures of evenly coloured subjects.