PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao

stejo
26-Jun-2008, 05:23
Hi!
New to this forum.
Planning to buy a Shen-Hao for my landscape work.
Used to do this with my Eos 5D and 16-35mm, I like wideangelshot with itīs priority to
the foreground.
Going to buy a fujinon 75/5,6.
But which Shen-Hao should i buy?
The Tz45-IIB or the HZX 4x5-IIA, whats the difference.
Think I need a recessed lensboard and a bagbellow also.

Best regards

Stefan Jonsson / Stockholm, Sweden

Scott Davis
26-Jun-2008, 06:32
Stefan-

I have an older Shen-Hao HZX 45-IIa. I haven't used the TZ so I can't comment on it over the HZX. The HZX is a great little camera - I think you will be very happy with it if that is the one you get. I have used a 75mm on it with the bag bellows, and with the bag bellows it is not necessary to use a recessed lensboard.

Benno Jones
26-Jun-2008, 07:56
I've had my Shen HZX 45-IIa for several years now and like it very much. I have a 75mm SA in a recessed lensboard and the bag bellows and have had no problems at all. I've also used this lens without changing bellows when I know the shot does not need much in the way of movements and it's worked perfectly well.

walter23
26-Jun-2008, 08:38
I've looked at the specifications and I think the finish and control setup is nicer on the TZ but the HZX has more movements and is a more useful camera in that respect. The difference is pretty minor though. Shift has been moved to the front instead of the back, and reduced to 12mm either way from 40mm on the HZX. I do use shift and I'd probably want the older model for the larger range, though the mechanism for this back movement is maybe the most cumbersome thing about the HZX design and so I can see why they opted to change it. It's not a bad design, it's just that on mine it needed an additional washer installed to increase the tension when it's locked down.

Turner Reich
26-Jun-2008, 09:17
One has Aluminum metal and one has Stainless Steel. I have the Stainless Steel and Walnut model. The weights are the same but the price is less for the Stainless Steel hardware model. I really like the design and function of the camera, there is simply nothing to complain about. They are inexpensive enough that it's hard not to pick one up.

ric_kb
26-Jun-2008, 10:00
I have a new Shen, have had it for under a month and to make it comfortable to my way of work, I've moded the knobs ... putting non slip grip covers on and adding synthetic compression washers... stuff picked up from local "electronics, mechanical" industrial surplus store (weird stuff, sunnyvale)... my initial impression of it was that it had added to the feature list by cutting down on the tactile quality... but as my wife says " It is such a pretty camera" ... of course most people like the camera, that's a reason I opted for it. In my past life in a commercial studio I was pampered by Sinar, luvly... by the way my camera is called Shane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_(film))...Roped into field work, only to find himself in conflict between good and evil...

Patrik Roseen
26-Jun-2008, 16:02
Welcome to this forum Stefan.

I think you will find lots of competent and friendly people here. And good luck with your Large Format Photography.

(In case you need some more help to get started you can PM me.)

Patrik, (Stockholm, Sweden)

stejo
27-Jun-2008, 09:10
Welcome to this forum Stefan.

I think you will find lots of competent and friendly people here. And good luck with your Large Format Photography.

(In case you need some more help to get started you can PM me.)

Patrik, (Stockholm, Sweden)

Great Patrik!
I will PM you when iīve got my kamera .

And thanks you everybody for the answer.

Gordon Moat
30-Jun-2008, 11:25
TZ45-IIB will work better for shorter lenses than the IIA. The TFC45-IIB would be even better for short lenses, though costs a bit more. The HZX45-AII is a good all around choice for many lenses, though a bag bellows is recommended to use a 75mm.

I have been using an HZX45-AII for a few years, though mostly with a 135mm. I did borrow a 75mm on a flat board a few times, and it works okay. The stock bellows is a bit stiff when compressed, which makes movements tougher than with longer lenses. You should also know that focus and composing with a 75mm is vastly tougher than with a longer lens, especially with the stock ground glass.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

stejo
30-Jun-2008, 12:58
Thanks everybody, iīve ordered the HZX45-AII at Badgers.
Now I canīt hardly wait.

Best regards / Stefan

BigSteveG
1-Jul-2008, 10:41
Just rec'd my TZ45-IIB on Sat. Used it on Sunday. Seems pretty nice for an inexpensive camera. I used a 210mm and worked fine. Will try my 90mm fuji lens next outing. My only problem so far has been figuring out the rear shift. There's a locking lever which releases the rear swing, but it doesn't seem to release the shift. Can anyone explain?

willwilson
3-Jul-2008, 12:24
Anyone tried the IIB with a 75mm on a flat board compared to the IIA? Gordon have you actually tried this? I have a IIB and it works fairly well with my 75mm on a flat board, but I'm thinking about switching to the IIB for the weight savings? If it handles my 75mm better that would be an extra plus!

BigSteveG, I would to hear you comments as well.

Thanks, -=Will

Don Dudenbostel
3-Jul-2008, 13:41
Badger is an excellent company. My wife purchased a Shen Hao for my birthday about three years ago from Badger. The SH was an excellent camera and worked fine with a 65 Nikkor that I had at the time. I don't remember if I had a recessed board for it or not but it was fine with a 6x12 back and the SH bag bellows. Excellent cameras at a reasonable price. I sold the SH this year because I often use long lenses and needed more bellows.

If you use a lot of ultra wides you might want to look at the Shen Hao 6x12 back. 120 roll film and six shots per roll. It's a great format for landscapes IMO. 120 film is easy to get processed and economical. The price of the back is reasonable for a pano back and the construction is like a tank. Simple, nicely finished and reliable.

Enjoy your camera and make some great images.

Turner Reich
3-Jul-2008, 14:59
You got the wrong model it has the shortest bellows. One reason they are cheap is that they have thin short bellows.

Gordon Moat
3-Jul-2008, 15:46
I only used the 75mm on a flat board on the HZX45-AII, so I don't know how much better the TZ models might work with that. On the HZX45-AII, the stiffness of the stock bellows makes movements a bit of a chore with a 75mm. A recessed board would help, though the optional bag bellows would be even easier to use.

A 75mm is a very wide field of view. I just don't find it is a lens I use often enough to justify a more specialized camera. If you found that you used many short focal length lenses, then very likely a more specialized Shen-Hao might be a better choice than the HZX45-AII.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

otzi
4-Jul-2008, 09:03
This address will show a couple of Shen Hao's with specifications.
Click on Products then Large format then cameras.

http://www.studiogear.com.au/

stejo
4-Jul-2008, 13:08
Got my shenHao HZX45-AII now, two days from Badger to Stockholm with UPS, impressing!
Shot my first Tri-x with my fujinon 75mm yesterday and developed the it today.
Iīm impressed over the result, havenīt seen such sharpness before.
I used a bagbellow and have no problem with the movements.
For me this camera seems to be good value for money, but iīm new to largeformat :)

Nana Sousa Dias
12-Jul-2008, 17:01
I have the HZX 45 IIA, and use it with Rodenstock Apo Ronar 360mm, Nikkor 210mm, Schneider Symmar S 150mm, Super Angulon 90mmXL, Super Angulon 65mm, and Super Angulon 47mmXL.
You can use the 47 on a normal board, but, no movements at all, with a recessed board, you can use rear tilt and swing (the coverage of this lens doesn't allow much more).
The TZ45IIB it's much lighter, the controls are much smoother and precise. The overall look of the camera is better and the finish is better, too. The HZX has some more movements and longer bells. The new TZ, allows the use of the 47 without the need of a recessed board, too.