PDA

View Full Version : Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

Jeff Keller
23-Jun-2008, 14:08
I've been using the Photoclam Multiflex head with a digital SLR (real estate photogaphs) and have been very happy with it. It was shipped in a box that was intended for their ball head. I just received a phone call from a woman in New York saying that they didn't include a pouch when I bought it but they are going to send one to me.

It will probably be easier to buy the Multiflex head in the US now. Her phone no. is 210-220-0609

For architectural photography, the Multiflex head has been a great time saver. My experience with my digital SLR and a ball head is that I often don't have the camera leveled accurately. The Multiflex head has eliminated that problem and has been a joy to use.

I haven't had my Canham LF out taking pictures since I got the head but simple testing in my home makes me believe the head will be a great choice.

Reposting the link to the mfg
http://www.photoclam.co.kr/html/product/product_page_info.htm?key=48

-jeff keller

Robert Fisher
23-Jun-2008, 14:46
Jeff, I have had a B2 since 1996 and have had multiple copies of all formats on it. Never once have I had a level problem.

Steven Barall
23-Jun-2008, 15:04
WOW what a sweet ride pictured there. If I rush out and buy that tripod head right now maybe one day I'll be able to get myself a super hot p***y wagon like that one. Hey don't laugh, I can dream can't I ?

Jeff Keller
23-Jun-2008, 16:11
With a LF camera the image is much larger so it is easier to tell when the camera is level. I don't remember as many problems with 35mm film as I have with the dSLR.

Probably 80% of the time when I adjust the digital SLR image I have to rotate the image about 1 degree clockwise. Perhaps my sense of balance is off or the viewing image on the digital SLR is somehow slightly rotated. The bubbles on the Multiflex head seem to give me a perfectly aligned image. The hotshoe bubble level didn't seem to work as well so I didn't always use it.

For landscapes I seldom noticed a problem. With the real estate images there always seemed to be a straight line that was off. The time savings is what drove me to pay for the head. Now that I've been using it, I think the ease of operation could justify it. I've used an Acratech head for years which I'm very happy with ... smooth operation, light weight, very stable. The ease of adjusting the Multiflex head means I will carry it whenever weight isn't quite important.

The

Jeff, I have had a B2 since 1996 and have had multiple copies of all formats on it. Never once have I had a level problem.

Hollis
23-Jun-2008, 23:17
Jeff,

How much did you pay for the PhotoClam (one hell of a name too).

Aahx
24-Jun-2008, 10:44
Yeah.. I have been looking at one of those myself. But my short time budget likely wont afford one till late fall, so I may get a Manafroto 410 in the interim.

George Kara
24-Jun-2008, 14:17
I have the C1 and boy this thing looks a direct rip off. Perhaps Arca didnt patent their head.

If it works similar to the AS - I couldnt recommend it any higher. What a great tool.

evan clarke
24-Jun-2008, 14:34
Martin Vogt (Arca Swiss) told me that they do international patents on every last thing they offer for sale. I emailed him the first photos of this Photoclam and he said it was actually one of his heads in the advert. I have been using one of the C1s for about 2 years and it may be the best photo device I have bought..Evan Clarke

ifer
24-Jun-2008, 18:15
ohhh this looks cool.
how much is this baby?

JasonC
25-Jun-2008, 05:35
798000 Korean Won is the list price. That is about US$769.

Jason.

Jean-Louis Llech
25-Jun-2008, 11:35
A clone always dies sooner...

George Kara
25-Jun-2008, 13:34
Evan
Darn you are right. It is an arca swiss that has been altered(digitally) with the korean name instead of the AS.

I wonder if AS also applied for patents in the region where Korea resides? Clearly this device would be in direct violation of North American Patent Law. Perhaps the dollar amount is to little for AS to go after them.

Alan Rabe
25-Jun-2008, 14:29
This product has been beaten to death in another thread "Better than an Arca Cube? Korean Head"

butterflydream
25-Jun-2008, 17:54
It's a shame, this korean copycat must be direct infringe of the patent of arca swiss.

Well, I'm a proud owner of arca swiss f-classic 4x5 and I'm a Korean feeling shame for this copycat. But in front of the price tag of arca cube c1, $2,419.03 @ B&H and $750 for this copycat I don't know what to do. I would love to have the same logos on the camera and the head but my bank account says...

Robert Fisher
25-Jun-2008, 18:39
I owned an Arca Cube for a few months and IMHO it is GROSSLY over rated. Yes, it is eye candy, a novelty and a conversational piece. In actual use in the field, I will take my trusty Arca B2 any day of the week.

$2,500 for the real McCoy or $750 for a Korean knock off is just flat dumb (IMHO).

Hollis
25-Jun-2008, 23:09
cant we just shoot handheld like everyone else?

George Kara
26-Jun-2008, 17:14
Mr. Fisher. I beg to differ. The cube is a superb over engineered intuitive piece of kit. I purchased mine used for somewhere around $ 1,300 with the ability to return it. Using it once convinced me to keep it forever. The IP issue is another matter. If we dont protect innovators, we will have no new products to market. Lets face it, there is a great amount of cost to engineer a new product and very little cost for a rip off.

Songyun
1-Jul-2008, 09:40
I've been using the Photoclam Multiflex head with a digital SLR (real estate photogaphs) and have been very happy with it. It was shipped in a box that was intended for their ball head. I just received a phone call from a woman in New York saying that they didn't include a pouch when I bought it but they are going to send one to me.

It will probably be easier to buy the Multiflex head in the US now. Her phone no. is 210-220-0609

For architectural photography, the Multiflex head has been a great time saver. My experience with my digital SLR and a ball head is that I often don't have the camera leveled accurately. The Multiflex head has eliminated that problem and has been a joy to use.

I haven't had my Canham LF out taking pictures since I got the head but simple testing in my home makes me believe the head will be a great choice.

Reposting the link to the mfg
http://www.photoclam.co.kr/html/product/product_page_info.htm?key=48

-jeff keller

Jeff, thanks for the update, my case is on the way.

Matus Kalisky
2-Jul-2008, 00:36
What are the specs of this head? Weight, size, load ...

evan clarke
2-Jul-2008, 04:08
Could somebody please post a picture of the actual head you received??...EC

Songyun
2-Jul-2008, 08:31
Could somebody please post a picture of the actual head you received??...EC

I posted one on the BSO post.

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jul-2008, 09:16
I posted one on the BSO post.

Boston Symphony Orchestra? I'm guessing you mean this one--

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=354456&postcount=42

Songyun
2-Jul-2008, 17:09
Boston Symphony Orchestra?

:D :D :D
good one

butterflydream
3-Jul-2008, 16:14
I had my old Gitzo 1227 and Makins head stolen recently, and I took this as a chance to buy new tripod and head - Gitzo 3540 and Multiflex.

However, I found that the head movement has a little play with the 'manual base tilt' at zero position. At its zero position the head can play about 1/2 mm upward even if I fully tighten the knob. Do you have the same?

I think I'll call the manufacturer and if necessary visit them (they are 10km from my office on the way to my home), but I would like to know if it's only my problem.

Other than that, all other movements are smooth, there's no backlash with any gear movement.

Jeff Keller
5-Jul-2008, 23:29
If I have the base tilt at 0 or at the full 60 degrees, it locks tight. If it is partially up, there appears to be a little play.

There is a small block of brass colored metal on the rod (which is connected to the lock knob) which has a small triangular tab sticking out. The triangular tab appears to grab the supporting arm at 60 degrees or a lip on the frame at 0 degrees. It doesn't take hardly any effort to lock the head. If too much force were applied it looks like either the triangular tab or the metal it locks against would be unnecessarily dented.

The movement, when the head is in between 0 and 60 appears to come from the pivots on the arms, not from the locking mechanism.

Sorry to hear you had your gear stolen.

I think the AS Cube comes with a lever lock quick release. My Multiflex has a quick release that tightens by turning a knob. It looks like the quick release adapter could be removed and replaced with a RRS adapter but I'm not sure about the hole sizes.

The Manfroto 410 head weighs 2.7 lbs and is rated to support 11.1 lbs. I believe Songyun found a published weight of 950g for the Photoclam Multiflex. The design of the cube/multiflex tends to keep the weight centered over the head so if your camera is balanced about the tripod adapter, there wouldn't be any significant force in a direction that would cause anything to flex or rotate. It looks like the weight limit would be determined by how much force the gear drive could withstand without being damaged.

Jeff Keller

[QUOTE=butterflydream;365479]

However, I found that the head movement has a little play with the 'manual base tilt' at zero position. At its zero position the head can play about 1/2 mm upward even if I fully tighten the knob. Do you have the same?

QUOTE]

butterflydream
6-Jul-2008, 01:22
Thanks, Jeff, for detailed explanation.

My problem was solved automatically(?), without knowing the reason. I just played with it and it locked tight. Now I understood the mechanism.

This is nice head and is quite addictive. This new head makes me feel a bit better with stolen old makins head and gitzo.

Jeff Keller
7-Jul-2008, 12:35
I just discovered the phone no. I posted had a typo. Sukue Jeong can be contacted at: 201-220-0609 or photoclam@gmail.com

Jeff Keller

Schaubild
8-Aug-2008, 06:38
I don't see how Arca could patent a double goniometer which is already well known.

http://www.newport.com/store/genproduct.aspx?id=144554&lang=1033&Section=Graphics

Aahx
8-Aug-2008, 11:04
I don't see how Arca could patent a double goniometer which is already well known.

http://www.newport.com/store/genproduct.aspx?id=144554&lang=1033&Section=Graphics

Yeah.. esspecialy since that very link shows a U.S. Patent 6,601,524 in it. <grins>

paul r w freeman
1-Dec-2008, 00:59
I just discovered the phone no. I posted had a typo. Sukue Jeong can be contacted at: 201-220-0609 or photoclam@gmail.com

Jeff Keller

Jeff,

What country is that Phone number in ? The US? Not known in South Korea anyway.

Frank Petronio
1-Dec-2008, 05:39
Every geared head I've seen or used has some play in it.

People should respect the Arca patents. But cripes, I bet they use the same CAM machines and metal stock, so why is it 3x more? If we're having a global economy I guess that leaves Europe out of every market except for the one for snob appeal.

Songyun
3-Dec-2008, 18:16
Every geared head I've seen or used has some play in it.

People should respect the Arca patents. But cripes, I bet they use the same CAM machines and metal stock, so why is it 3x more? If we're having a global economy I guess that leaves Europe out of every market except for the one for snob appeal.

hmmm... Apparently the Korean knockoffs are acceptable, while Chinese knockoffs are evil.

BTW, I bought this geared head this Spring, very well made.

Jeff Keller
4-Dec-2008, 12:00
Sometimes patents aren't that inclusive. There may be several features on the Arca head that are patented but as Shaubild pointed out the basic design quite likely isn't patented by Arca. I don't see anything wrong with buying the Multiflex head.

As Songyun mentioned, it seems to be very well made. It compares very well with RRS, Acratech, and Kirk for quality. It is hard to see how it could look better.

The only negative points for me are that the bubble levels have a fairly viscous fluid making them slow to respond and concern about cleaning it when it gets sand in the gears.

I'm very glad I bought it.

Jeff Keller

Jeff Keller
4-Dec-2008, 12:13
The movement mentioned earlier in the thread is due to the arms that allow the head to be oriented 90 degrees. There is a lock mechanism that will stop the movement.

There may be play in the gear mechanism but I do not notice it. The head uses heavy grease which makes the movement rather slow but very smooth. It seems ideal for LF. It would probably feel sluggish for someone wanting rapid adjustment. However if you release the lock on the pan movement, it provides a nice smooth rotation like you would want for a video camera.

Jeff Keller

AutumnJazz
6-Dec-2008, 00:01
Not a bad price at all, compared to other geared heads, and especially to the now $2,500 CUBE.

evan clarke
7-Dec-2008, 09:15
The movement mentioned earlier in the thread is due to the arms that allow the head to be oriented 90 degrees. There is a lock mechanism that will stop the movement.

There may be play in the gear mechanism but I do not notice it. The head uses heavy grease which makes the movement rather slow but very smooth. It seems ideal for LF. It would probably feel sluggish for someone wanting rapid adjustment. However if you release the lock on the pan movement, it provides a nice smooth rotation like you would want for a video camera.

Jeff Keller

I'm surprised by the grease, my Arca is completely dry. I have used this now for about 3 years, sometimes in sand and lots in extreme cold and there is no sign of any wear or tear on it and absolutely no play. I use it almost daily...Evan Clarke

more photography
15-Feb-2009, 10:38
Tried to Email the folks at Photoclam, but the emails are returned/relay rejection, any body has made contact or bought one of these tripod heads and where from.

Jeff Keller
15-Feb-2009, 22:23
Try Kerry at: http://reallybigcameras.com/

from a later thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=42428

I had originally contacted photoclam in Korea but have lost my email records.

Jeff Keller

more photography
16-Feb-2009, 12:18
Try Kerry at: http://reallybigcameras.com/

from a later thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=42428

I had originally contacted photoclam in Korea but have lost my email records.

Jeff Keller

Hi emailed Kerry before and again today via a PM

Jeff Keller
17-Feb-2009, 09:36
I did some more digging through my files. I had received a PayPal request from master@kipc.co.kr

I believe they have one person who translates English. It can take several days to get a response (unless you know Korean). Also be sure your spam filters allow email from Korea.

Probably Kerry is out using his cameras. He will probably respond as quick as PhotoClam.

I'm still very happy with the head. Good luck,
Jeff Keller

more photography
17-Feb-2009, 09:59
I did some more digging through my files. I had received a PayPal request from master@kipc.co.kr

I believe they have one person who translates English. It can take several days to get a response (unless you know Korean). Also be sure your spam filters allow email from Korea.

Probably Kerry is out using his cameras. He will probably respond as quick as PhotoClam.

I'm still very happy with the head. Good luck,
Jeff Keller

Thanks Jeff

I think my provider is bloicking any emils to PHotoclam. However would prefer to deal with Kerry, for obvoius reasons. I will await the response, and thanks again.

Aahx
17-Feb-2009, 13:56
I tried to get one of these through Kerry this last December. He told me then he was not going to carry them at that time because of a patton dispute. Though I could find nothing online regarding such so I then contacted the company via there direct email and asked for current price. They responded to me within a week in clear english asking for zip code to get shipping cost estamate. Then on my reply said I wanted to order one. Two or three days later I got the paypal request for 995.00 (for head) + shipping which was 29.00 or 39.00. I accepted it and then recieved the head within four days following payment. The email was the one here on the forums, and there contact with me was very proffessional and to the point. Just be paitent with them as you will not get an imediate "same day" reply.

I will check at home later (at studio now) and see what email it was I used to contact them. As I did not use my studio email for the transaction.

more photography
19-Feb-2009, 01:11
I tried to get one of these through Kerry this last December. He told me then he was not going to carry them at that time because of a patton dispute.

Hi I got a similar email, Patent Dispute, and Kerry will not be selling the Multiflex.

That explains everything, it is clear Arca-Swiss have sold or receiving any royalties onthis from Photoclam, but I would still like to get one.

shadowleaves
15-May-2009, 10:46
I got mine today! $985+shipping. Expensive yes, but works like a charm! Great quality and precision.

watanabe
2-Sep-2009, 13:52
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seems to have the most number of people who have experience with a multiflex.

Mine arrived last week and I've been really excited to use it, but couldn't as I didn't have a QR plate that would work. My PZ-39 from Kirk showed up today, so I attached that to my Norma and then placed the whole shebang on the new gitzo gt5531s that I bought along with the multiflex.

I was (am) sad to find that both panning platforms(the one which attaches to the tripod, and the upper one which attaches to the camera) will not lock down completely, they're not totally loose, but a nudge on the camera's rail will make the whole assembly move.

Is this common? Do I have a bad sample? anyone encountered this behavior in their's and found a fix?

I opened up the bottom of the assembly, the 60degree rotation part, and I can see that the piece the 3/8" screw goes into is not rotating, but the piece around that, the one which interfaces with the screw plate through a circle with grease, is moving...

thoughts?

Jeff Keller
2-Sep-2009, 15:09
The locking screws for the two panning platforms have small heads and thus it's difficult to apply much force. When my head was new it was quite difficult (perhaps almost impossible) to completely lock the panning. However it definitely took more than a nudge to move the head. I probably never had either panning swivel completely locked but never worried about it moving either. After a year of use it is noticeably easier to completely lock the panning action. I still seldom completely lock both panning swivels, normally only completely locking the top one.

I feel that the grease they used (and how much) made it very difficult to completely lock the panning action but gave it have a very high non-binding resistance. I actually like the head to work that way. I believe with use, the amount of grease on the friction surfaces has decreased making it so that it is easier to lock down the panning action.

Not knowing how much of a nudge it takes to move your head it is hard to say if yours doesn't lock because of the grease or if there is something else going on. If you can tighten yours enough that it would take a significant accidental bump to mis-align your picture I would recommend just using it as is, since it will probably get easier to completely lock with use. If you can't tolerate it the way it is now, you could look into removing some of the grease but use caution because it isn't obvious how to add grease back in.

Jeff Keller

I was (am) sad to find that both panning platforms(the one which attaches to the tripod, and the upper one which attaches to the camera) will not lock down completely, they're not totally loose, but a nudge on the camera's rail will make the whole assembly move.

Is this common? Do I have a bad sample? anyone encountered this behavior in their's and found a fix?

watanabe
2-Sep-2009, 15:36
Thanks for the reply, looking into the assembly (without taking anything apart) I agree that there does seem to be quite a bit of grease in there, and that does seem to be the cause of my problem.

I tend to do 16 minute to 1hr exposures, which is why I erred on the overkill side with my tripod selection, as it is now it is possible to move the camera by exerting(hardly) force through my left hand pinky, on the little hex rod of the sinar compendium lens hood. Which leads me to believe it would not be up to snuff against even light wind for the length of exposure I am going for, or evening inserting a film holder without being very careful about it.

Sent a mail off to 'Cindy', the master(at)photoclam.com person, asking for a possible solution or replacement. Will update here with any response.

VictoriaPerelet
2-Sep-2009, 18:53
For those who does not mind making adapter plate, here's another "affordable" version of Cube like design:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310148736444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

watanabe
2-Sep-2009, 19:05
Just got off the phone with Cindy. She was sitting next to one of their engineers and translating the problem back and forth.

Once they understood what my issue was, they suggested trying to tighten the panning knobs, I explained I had done so as tight as I could using my fingers, and asked if they wanted me to try using (!) pliers. They said no.

During the course of the phone call Cindy explained that they were surprised that I was having this problem, as (it seemed like she was saying) every unit is made as it is ordered, and then tested to make sure it's working.

She offered, without my suggesting, sending me a new unit, which they would personally retest again to make sure it worked.

The whole phone call took 10 minutes (they called me, after I provided them my cell # and ideal contact times) and I was very pleased with the level of support provided. It may be a knock-off, but at least they are backing it up the way I would expect a $1000 knock-off to be.

Victoria: if I had known about those sooner I may have tried to make my own adapters, have access to 3 CNC machines at my school, although I have no idea how to use them yet.
Following up on Victoria's lead: http://www.kohzueurope.com/Manual-Stages.77+M5a3aa96a99d.0.html

Ellis Vener
8-Sep-2009, 20:28
After going back and forth on this I think I'm just going to stick with my Majestic 1600 and Arca-Swiss B2 heads and putthe money towards a quad processor Mac Pro tower The Majestic is neither small nor light but it does the job very well. The one thing I wish it had was a geared lateral tilt. Mostly these days I use the big heads to support a Really Right Stuff Ultimate Pro panoramic rig carrying a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark 3

watanabe
12-Sep-2009, 09:31
My replacement arrived a few days ago, it's exhibiting much less movement than the original, however it still moves a bit. I think this might be due to the gitzo tripod however, I'm not sure.

Photoclam/cindy was very helpful and I have nothing but good things to say about their service. They shipped the replacement without having me send back my original, still waiting for their instructions on who/where/how to send that back.

gd whalen
22-Nov-2009, 06:34
The arca-swiss cube is an amazing head when used for the style of photography that it is best suited: architecture, landscape and table top studio work.

wildtypitch
16-Oct-2011, 07:26
Arca swiss own no patent on the C1!
It's a 3 axis stage goniometer with a quick release stuck on top, google it. It's basically a precision stage used for a variety of applications.
http://spectracore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=B5580&Category_Code=MDGTS&Product_Count=41

I can pick them up second hand in my local industrial hardware store for about $75, exactly the same as the c1 without the clamp and pan.

Korean photoclam has marketed an equal product at its market cost without inflating it like arca swiss have.

R Mann
16-Oct-2011, 08:40
I can pick them up second hand in my local industrial hardware store for about $75, exactly the same as the c1 without the clamp and pan.

Could you explain a little more on this, where are you located and what stores are you referring to?

Noah A
16-Oct-2011, 08:48
Yes, please explain more Nathaniel. I've seen good goniometers like the one you linked to but often they cost $1000 and up. So by the time you adapt it to a tripod, add a pan function, etc., you may as well just get the Arca.

By the way, how much are the Photo Clams going for these days? I saw one on ebay for around $1400, but the C1 is $1700 at B&H. To me that's not enough of a difference to go with a knock-off named after a clam.

If I could get a precision xy3 goniometer for $75, well that would be worthwhile.

wildtypitch
23-Oct-2011, 20:09
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I live in Beijing. I'm considering doing it myself but want to see the multiflex in person to see how sturdy/tight it is, and to compare with the goniometers available. From the one I saw in the DIY store it was uncannily similar, even having the same latch that enables the whole thing to be tilted to a 90 degree position. I have an appointment with a dealer here. It sells for 6400RMD (wholesale Price as I got contact via the Korean mfr apparently). Will keep you posted. But perhaps after buying two pan bases and getting to thing machined it may not be worth it. Mind you I have just seen a nice pan base by Chinese benro. Going for 600rmb.
The other highly tempting on for the wallet option is a manfrotto 410. Negs- no arcade style release, no on axis movements. Plus- sealed mechanism, over 1/4 of the cost of the multiflex. Won't impress clients as much though.

evan clarke
24-Oct-2011, 10:17
I have been using my Arca C1 on an almost daily basis for 5 years and still say it's the best single photo thing I ever bought..Evan Clarke

Emmanuel BIGLER
25-Oct-2011, 07:37
An interesting reading

US patent #6,252,727 (http://www.google.com/patents?id=oakIAAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Look at figures 6, 7 and 8.