PDA

View Full Version : Bodie

Blueberrydesk
22-Jun-2008, 22:18
I'm heading to Bodie tomorrow for a couple of days. Just wondering if there are places to camp close to the town without driving all the way to Bridgeport or Lee Vining. Also, any specific suggestions? I'm gonna spend a couple of days there, so I think I'll be able to get to everything, but I'll be lugging around an 8x10, MF and 35mm, so I'll be walking slow. :)

Thanks for any advice you care to share.

Paul

John Kasaian
22-Jun-2008, 22:55
Not as far as Lee Vining, but still quite a drive from Bodie, my favorite camp ground in the area is Trumbull Lake. The Virginia Lake Resort cafe across the road serves excellent pie. Ahhh, If I could only be there now, sleeping under the stars! :D

Bodie would be perfect terrain for something like moderator Ralph Barker's baby jogger contraptions for carting around your gear.

Daniel_Buck
22-Jun-2008, 23:07
Hope you get some great photographs, I look forward to seeing some! I'm hoping to go up there sometime myself as well!

Ralph Barker
22-Jun-2008, 23:37
The soil at Bodie is moderately soft, so conventional rolling cases don't work well. Unfortunately, that's all I had at the time. I later found a folding golf cart that works fairly well, and has wide wheels.

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/Misc/Photo-gear/Cart-C.jpg

As I recall, there is a National Forest site part way up the road to Bodie, near the Bristlecone Pines, but I don't recall if there are camping facilities there. You should be able to find it on a map, however.

matthew blais
23-Jun-2008, 05:20
I second the Viginia Lake cafe has four cabins and the campground...the owner Jim has been very accommodating..staying open for us in off season, etc.

Scott Davis
23-Jun-2008, 07:04
There's also a campground at Lundy Canyon, a little further on past Virginia Lakes Road. All I'll say for it is that it exists- I did not stay there so I have no opinion on the facilities. I just drove through it on my way up the canyon, which has a dazzling alpine lake buried back in behind the reservoir and the campground.

Glenn Thoreson
23-Jun-2008, 11:26
I want to know more about this alleged pie. :D Just kidding. Everyone knows that donuts are the most important photographic accessory. :D

Darren Kruger
23-Jun-2008, 12:55
As I recall, there is a National Forest site part way up the road to Bodie, near the Bristlecone Pines, but I don't recall if there are camping facilities there. You should be able to find it on a map, however.

There are Bristlecone pines on the road to Bodie? I didn't think the elevation was high enough in the area for them.

-Darren

steve simmons
23-Jun-2008, 14:27
There aren't any Bristlecones on the road to Bodie. They are further south out of Big Pine where the elevation is higher

I also don't think there is a campground up either road to Bodie.

Come on Barker, if you are going to post get the info correct. Posting wrong info could get somebody who relies on the info into a lot of trouble. For everyone's safety this type of info should always be checked out beforehand.

The real campgrounds suggested by others are good and there are motels in Lee Vining as well. There is also a campground/trailer park in Lee Vining with showers.

steve simmons

Rick Russell
23-Jun-2008, 14:40
Try the Virginia Creek Settlement. It offers motel, cabin and campground, and is located about one mile north of the turn-off from Highway 395 to Bodie. I will be staying there next month while attending a workshop in Bodie.

www.virginiacrksettlement.com

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Glenn Thoreson
23-Jun-2008, 14:47
My map, though pretty out of date by about 28 years, shows Bodie as a state park. Doesn't California have a web site that tells where you can find a campground nearby?

Darren Kruger
23-Jun-2008, 15:01
My map, though pretty out of date by about 28 years, shows Bodie as a state park. Doesn't California have a web site that tells where you can find a campground nearby?

Bodie SHP (http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=509)

Camping
There is no camping at Bodie. You must camp at least three miles from Bodie on BLM land. Fire restrictions are often in effect.

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Jun-2008, 15:25

There aren't any Bristlecones on the road to Bodie. They are further south out of Big Pine where the elevation is higher

I also don't think there is a campground up either road to Bodie.

Come on Barker, if you are going to post get the info correct. Posting wrong info could get somebody who relies on the info into a lot of trouble. For everyone's safety this type of info should always be checked out beforehand.

steve simmons

Shouldn't anyone take most of what they read on free internet forums with a grain of salt, anyway? I would hope that anyone using logistical information from this website would double check it before planning a definite trip...

The bristlecone pines are about 24 miles outside of Big Pine. Big Pine is on the road to Bodie (395) if you're coming from the south. The National Forest ranger station is right there in Big Pine, just after the turn on the road to the bristlecone pines. A few miles south of the Patriarch bristlecone grove in the White mountains is a great campground, at about 10,00 feet up, with awesome skies for stargazing and it's usually pretty empty. It's actually pretty cheap, too- a $3.00 donation per night is recommended. However, this campground is probably about a 3 hour drive to Bodie.

As has been mentioned before, the Virginia Creek settlement, on the 395 about 15 miles north of Lee Vining, is much closer to Bodie (about half an hour to 45 minutes) and has more facilities, and there are also a number of National Forest service campgrounds along the 395 between Lone Pine and Lee Vining. Have a look at the NFS website. By the way, Bodie is only opened from 9:00 to 5:00 (summer hours may be slightly longer), so the rangers will kick you out just as the light is getting good.

Jim Galli
23-Jun-2008, 17:19
Probably too late but the Tioga Lodge (http://www.tiogalodgeatmonolake.com/index.pl?id=0&isa=Category&op=show) is about 15 miles S of Bodie at the base of Conway Summit and in view of Mono Lake. A gorgeous spot. Didn't Ansel Adam's grand daughter own this? Anybody know? I remember something about that. Camping this time of year at 8500 feet can be very cool in the early AM. You can drive on up towards Aurora and just find a place to wilderness camp. Or take the road up to Masonic and camp near there.

Turner Reich
23-Jun-2008, 17:28
Ralph, can you tell me what model the golf cart is? It looks fantastic the way you have it loaded.

Jon Shiu
23-Jun-2008, 17:37
Probably too late but the Tioga Lodge (http://www.tiogalodgeatmonolake.com/index.pl?id=0&isa=Category&op=show) is about 15 miles S of Bodie at the base of Conway Summit and in view of Mono Lake. A gorgeous spot. Didn't Ansel Adam's grand daughter own this? Anybody know? I remember something about that. Camping this time of year at 8500 feet can be very cool in the early AM. You can drive on up towards Aurora and just find a place to wilderness camp. Or take the road up to Masonic and camp near there.

Hi, I think you might be thinking of the Mono Inn owned by the Adams?

Jon

Jon Wilson
23-Jun-2008, 19:39
We were at Bodie last week and the commentators are correct, there is no camping at the Bodie State Park. Also, even though it isa higher elevation, during the day it was bright, hot, and dry. I would recommend you bring your own water.....that ground water may not be too tastie. :)

D. Bryant
23-Jun-2008, 20:39

Jim,

That's the Mono Inn, owned by Ansel's grand daughter (she even looks a bit like Ansel though I can't think of her name.)

Don Bryant

steve simmons
23-Jun-2008, 20:39
The Mono Inn is owned by Ansel's son and daughter-in-law Michael and Jean Adams and run by a grand daughter - Sarah. I don't know if there is lodging there, they were going to build some a few years ago but I do not know if they did. The food is good for dinner but not cheap.

As I said, there is no camping in the Bodie area. Otherwise, there have been many good suggestions.

steve simmons

Jim Galli
23-Jun-2008, 20:54
Right neighborhood, wrong Inn. :)

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2008, 21:25
I believe the Mono Inn is closed but excellent food can be found nearby, try the Whoa Nellie Deli, at the Mobil (Gas Mart) on Tioga Rd. & 395 just south of Lee Vining. Terrific menu and food! (At least last time I was there).

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2008, 21:30
The Mono Inn is owned by Ansel's son and daughter-in-law Michael and Jean Adams and run by a grand daughter - Sarah. I don't know if there is lodging there, they were going to build some a few years ago but I do not know if they did. The food is good for dinner but not cheap.

As I said, there is no camping in the Bodie area. Otherwise, there have been many good suggestions.

steve simmons

I was by there less than two weeks ago and it looked to me as if there were now rooms at the Inn. It is a classy old resort and it appeared that all the old bungalows have been rebuilt and modernized while still keeping the classic retro atmosphere. There were cars parked out front and it looked like the bungalows were being occupied anyway. It would be worth a phone call to find out. :cool:

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2008, 22:15
Hi John, thanks for the Inn update; that is good news if it is open for business.

How about the Whoa Nellie Deli, is it still going strong and still serving the good food?

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2008, 22:52
Hi Merg! The Whoa Nelle Deli is open for the season, complete with the circus trapeze out front. I had dinner there and the food was excellent. They still have lobster taquitos and mango margaritas(my bride's favorite) seared ahi tuna salad, buffalo meatloaf, pizza etc... on the menu. I don't think the schedule for their parking lot concert series is out yet though. It's a fun place.

Preston
23-Jun-2008, 22:54
"How about the Whoa Nellie Deli, is it still going strong and still serving the good food?"

Merg, I was there in mid-May, just before Tioga opened...The food was excellent, the service was great, and the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce is one of the all-time greats! Highly recommended!

-PB

steve simmons
24-Jun-2008, 05:34
Here is the web site

http://www.monoinn.com/

The restaurant is closed for 2008. There does not appear to be any lodging there.

steve simmons

Robert Brummitt
24-Jun-2008, 10:14
Stop it-Stop it. Your making me sick with envy! I had family who lived in the area between Bishop and Momouth along 395. Had a hotel called Wally and Jo's. I understand that it may still be there. You can see Crowley lake from it. I've been feeling the urge to revisit and seeing some of the sites again.
Oh if gas were cheap!
:) :) :)

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2008, 12:39
Here is the web site

http://www.monoinn.com/

The restaurant is closed for 2008. There does not appear to be any lodging there.

steve simmons

Interesting!
I wonder what all the activity going on there is about?? They didn't look like contractors doing rennovations. It sure is a beautiful piece of property.

I guess I'll just have to settle for the Lobster taquitos and mango margaritas at the Whoa Nellie next time I'm passing through Lee Vining :)

Blueberrydesk
24-Jun-2008, 18:42
Wow! Thanks for all the replies, I wish I'd asked earlier as I left yesterday morning and missed most of them. I ended up staying at a motel in Bridgeport. For some reason I thought the distance was greater that it is.

This was my first trip to Bodie and it definitely won't be my last. Unfortunately, the entire route up to Tahoe on 50, then over Monitor Pass and down 395 was choked with smoke. I think the fires in Fairfield, along with all the little ones around Sacramento contributed to it, but there was a prescribed burn going on somewhere around Bridgeport that didn't help matters any. So the sky was a complete white while I was there.

Still, I managed to burn 10 sheets of 8x10 and 5 rolls of 120. The rangers were very friendly. (I was the first one there this morning, even before the ranger had raised the flag :) ) As soon as I got there yesterday afternoon I knew that there was too much to try and do in only one short trip, so I focused (pun intended) on most of the structures near to parking lot. The next trip will be for the cemetery and the eastern part of the park.

No matter how often it happens, I still love it when people walk up to me and compliment me on 'that pretty wooden camera'. It's a great ice breaker and I had wonderful conversations with a couple from Montana and a guy from Texas. I just wish they would wait until I get out from under the darkcloth. ;)

Jim, I did one shot with the projection petzval I got from you; I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out ok. It was of an interior with a broken down wagon.

The real surprise for me, though, was coming home. Instead of driving back up to Tahoe I decided to take the Sonora Pass to Rt. 49. Holy S***! That is one spectacular drive. I saw one valley that held it's own against Yosemite, and there were several waterfalls going at around 10K feet. Not much snowpack left, though, and still very smokey. On a clear day it must be amazing.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. John, I'm gonna have to get that pie on the next trip. :)