PDA

View Full Version : Beattie Screen-The Right Way Round!!

greyspecks
21-Jun-2008, 11:26
Should it be the matt side facing the lens or the grain side to face towards the lens?

I'm totally confused now, I took it in to have the glass cover replaced, and the tech thought it been used the wrong way round!..?..:eek:

I've yet to use it, when I brought it, the seller took it off to remove the broken glass cover, I took it out the other day, so as to use a gg with the camera.

I've just looked at a PDF installation on installing Beattie screens and it say's to place the grain side towards the eye!

But the tech in store has installed it with matt side towards the eye, now I'm all eyeballs!

patfahey
21-Jun-2008, 21:00
Here's a link to Beattie's install guide (for large format screens).

http://www.display-optics.com/pdf/INSTALLATION_GUIDE_FORVIEW_CAMERAS.pdf

I went by this and mine is working fine.

-Pat

Dave Parker
21-Jun-2008, 21:29
If you have the original installation instructions, why would you ever question those? if bettiie says install it this way, then this is the way your suppose to install it...

Dave

greyspecks
22-Jun-2008, 04:28
If you have the original installation instructions, why would you ever question those? if bettiie says install it this way, then this is the way your suppose to install it...

Dave

Yes, I do have the original install manual and I've read it!

As in my post, the glass cover was replaced, on taking it apart, the technician.
Seemed to think that Beattie screen, had been placed the wrong way in on my Technikardan 4x5 . And fitted it with the grain side facing towards the lens?

Looking again at the manual though, this shows that, the matte surface should face towards the lens, for a type 1 installation: But shouldn't the grain side face out towards the lens..?

TYPE 1 Cameras are listed as - Calumet, Sinar, Deardorff, Zone VI, Graflex, Speed Graphics,
Dr. Phillips, Linhof, Cambo, Graphic View, Techihara, Nord I & II, Inka, Wisner & Plaubel.

TYPE 2 Cameras are listed as - Toyo, Horseman & Polaroid MP 3, 4, 5, show the matte surface facing towards the glass cover.

A polaroid test with 210MM lens was taken, with only 1 plane of focus selected,if the screen was fitted incorrectly, then the selected focus point would shift and more than enough to notice. The odd thing is that, the Polaroid print is showing the plane of focus was correctly placed!

So in theory the Beattie screen must be fitted correctly!..?

The Beattie-screen was originally fitted with the matte surface facing towards the glass cover, as in the installation instructions. I will have to go back to the technician who fitted the glass cover. Whose experience in LF is 30+ years or more!

Anyways it'll all come good by Monday, I'll update the outcome once it's resolved.