PDA

View Full Version : Graphic View II fresnel

Stephanie Brim
21-Jun-2008, 11:18
I did a quick search of the forum (like you're supposed to do) and I didn't come up with a good answer to my question.

What fresnel screens will work with the Graphic View? I know that the Graflok back with the Ektalite screen will work, but I kinda like the spring back for now. Keeps me away from shooting medium format film in my large format camera. I'd like one that could go either in front of or, even better, behind the ground glass so that I can more easily focus.

A cheaper solution would be best as well, but I can consider a more expensive one if the difference in quality is a lot.

Glenn Thoreson
21-Jun-2008, 11:37
Any screen an be placed outside the ground glass, "the rear". If you want to put one in front of the ground glass, you will either have to devise a way to attach it without disturbing the position of the ground glass or have the focus panel machined to accomodate the thickness of the screen. The ground glass position must be maintained as it is, or the focus will be off. Having never had a Graphic View, I will go out on a limb and say that some Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphics had a spring back that was equipped with an Ektalite screen as an option. If you could find a focus panel from one, it should fit your camera. Try ebay seller canyonlandgraphics.

Dave Parker
21-Jun-2008, 11:47
Glenn,

The pacemaker and crown backs will not fit the View Models, if you want a fresnel in front of the ground glass, you are going to have to do some work to the back to maintain focus plane, the easiest is to pick up a book magnifier at Home Depot or Staples and have it cut to fit your opening, I shot this way for many years with no problems at all, the book magnifiers only run about $9 a piece and they are easy to cut down to the right size. The backs for the View are pretty square, and have a lip on them that fits a channel on the back of the camera, the pacemakers and the crown backs screw into the wood surrounding on the back of those cameras and a bit oblong.

Dave

Glenn Thoreson
21-Jun-2008, 12:10
Thanks, Dave. That's what I wasn't sure of. Mounting a book magnifier or other screen to the inside if the panel could probably be done with double sided tape, to avoid disturbing the register of the glass. A piece stuck in each corner????

SMBooth
21-Jun-2008, 16:48
Thanks, Dave. That's what I wasn't sure of. Mounting a book magnifier or other screen to the inside if the panel could probably be done with double sided tape, to avoid disturbing the register of the glass. A piece stuck in each corner????

Im new to LF and the positioning of a fresnel screen has been interesting me, so your saying if the fresnel screen is between the GG and lens, the GG is still the focal point?

Shane

Dave Parker
21-Jun-2008, 17:25
Im new to LF and the positioning of a fresnel screen has been interesting me, so your saying if the fresnel screen is between the GG and lens, the GG is still the focal point?

Shane

Shane,

No it is not, on average, it will be 2/3rds, because the fresnel is actually a magnifying glass that you put between your lens and your focal point. and you will have to computate the amount of light magnification to determine the actual focal point on your screen.

Dave