PDA

View Full Version : Color or B&W

ignatiusjk
19-Jun-2008, 16:24
Have any of you used color neg film for b&w photos. I tried to turn off the color on my scanner and was wondering if any of you have ttried it.

Ron Marshall
19-Jun-2008, 16:34
Have any of you used color neg film for b&w photos. I tried to turn off the color on my scanner and was wondering if any of you have ttried it.

Scan in color and then discard two of the channels, green is the sharpest with my scanner.

Bill L.
19-Jun-2008, 17:30
I use color transparencies on occasion for B&W. While the transparencies aren't as forgiving on exposure as B&W negs, you can use the channel mixer in photoshop to simulate the effect of most any color filter when you convert to B&W.

Bill

Ron Marshall
19-Jun-2008, 20:48
Scan in color and then discard two of the channels, green is the sharpest with my scanner.

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. Ignore my previous advice. You would have to scan in color and then use channel mixer or other PS method(s) to blend the color channels, then convert to greyscale.

I copy each of the RBG channels to a separate layer and then mask different areas on each color layer.