PDA

View Full Version : Camera moves when changing film holders..

blevblev
17-Jun-2008, 17:53
How do y'all prevent your cameras from moving around when you change film holders? This is also a problem when using polaroid/fuji instant backs when removing the films. I realize that you have to tighten everything as much as possilbe from the tripod/tripod head perspective, but what else do you do?

windpointphoto
17-Jun-2008, 18:05
A bail back will solve these problems. There was recent thread on bail backs. I got mine for my Wisner made by Richard Ritter for a hundred bucks. It works great.

ic-racer
17-Jun-2008, 18:05
On my Horseman 4x5 I grab the spring loaded back and actually pull it open from the middle (like a bail might do) with my hand (large hands) and slide the film holder in and out gently.

lenser
17-Jun-2008, 18:10
Two of my 4x5 cameras have bails, The third does not. If you have a camera with a bail (a sort of lever to mechanically open the film gate for a large format), it is less torque on the camera itself and less chance of turning or moving the camera while loading or unloading a holder.

You hit the nail on the head with the need to tighten everything down. Regardless of which camera I use, I set the camera pointing a few degrees to the left of my subject and then tighten the tripod screw. When that is tight, I hold tight to the tripod head and actually use the monorail or camera bed to turn the camera back to square with the subject. That puts some strain on the camera, so I don't jerk it, just gently twist it into place to really lock it onto the tripod screw.

If I'm using one of my tripods with a mounting plate, I use the biggest coin I can find or a big screwdriver to tighten the plate onto the camera and then try to get just one more little twist out of that.

After that, when I'm actually putting a holder into the camera without the bale, I hold the gate open with my left hand while gently levering the holder into the gate. Then I put my left hand firmly over the left side of the back while gently pushing the holder into it's final seat.

You can still cause movement for the next shot when taking it out, so I again hold the gate open a bit with the left hand while gently pulling the holder out.

That's about it for me.

Bill_1856
17-Jun-2008, 18:49
How do y'all prevent your cameras...

Is it permissible for anyone from Long Island to use y'all?;)

seawolf66
17-Jun-2008, 18:50
try this thread for reasons for bail backs; http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=37262

blevblev
18-Jun-2008, 06:43

Well, I did room with a guy from Nashville in college, and that was in Florida. I think I might qualify for some kind of dispensation, no?

blevblev
18-Jun-2008, 06:47
Can someone post a photo of a 'bail back' so I might understand what it is?

Matt Miller
18-Jun-2008, 07:06
You could pull the back off, insert the holder, and put it back on. I do that sometimes when I have a holder that won't slide in smoothly.

steve simmons
18-Jun-2008, 07:11
I pull the gg frame away with my thumb and index finger while pushing back on the rest of the camera with my remaining 3 fingers. Works all the time.

steve simmons

Bruce Watson
18-Jun-2008, 07:40

It's permissible for anyone to use "y'all" as long as they know how to spell it and use it correctly in context. The OP has in fact demonstrated these skills.

If it makes you feel any better, I often use "oy" and "oy vey" and even "oy gevant" when the mood strikes. And I'm not Jewish and I am a southerner (a US term which really means someone from the South Eastern US). However, for me, there are certain feelings that can best be described in Yiddish. I'm just saying, be a mensch and use "y'all" when appropriate.

Brian Ellis
18-Jun-2008, 07:41
Nothing should move just from inserting or removing a film holder and you shouldn't need a bail back to prevent movement. If something is moving something is wrong somewhere. A bail back won't solve all movement problems so to me it's best to first try to find the source of the problem and fix it if possible. If that's impossible or would cost too much, and if you've identified the source of the problem as something that a bail back would cure, then have one installed. FWIW, I use the method described by Steve and have never found it necessary to use a bail back.

Mark Sawyer
18-Jun-2008, 10:17
If it makes you feel any better, I often use "oy" and "oy vey" and even "oy gevant" when the mood strikes. And I'm not Jewish and I am a southerner (a US term which really means someone from the South Eastern US). However, for me, there are certain feelings that can best be described in Yiddish. I'm just saying, be a mensch and use "y'all" when appropriate.

Oy vey, y'all! :rolleyes:

bbjorkum
18-Jun-2008, 15:22
Get a Razzlok-back from Dean Jones. Easy in, easy out.

Michael Roberts
19-Jun-2008, 05:11
In addition to advice above, I've found that getting the holder in half-way, then moving my left hand to the left side of the gg holder and lifting lets the holder slide in the rest of the way with less resistance. When the holder gets to the light trap, I then move my left hand to the left side of the rear standard for the final push to seal the holder (depending on the particular camera/back--some have a sort of raised "speed bump" light trap, some just have a cutout light trap).

Running some wax paper across the long ends of the film holders will help them slide in/out more easily also.

John Powers
19-Jun-2008, 08:06
Can someone post a photo of a 'bail back' so I might understand what it is?

There are two excellent pictures of a bail back, both closed and open, in the following auction. PHILLIPS 7x17 Camera Kit Excellent Condition Item number: 160251881607. I use a bail on both my Phillips 7x17 and 8x10. It will certainly work as well on a smaller camera, or keep yours and add this one with the bail already on.

I have no connection with the auction, but have used and loved a similar camera for about three years.

John

Gene McCluney
19-Jun-2008, 08:18
You know, you "could" use some common Johnsons Paste Wax and just wax the contact parts of the ground glass back, where they contact the film holder. Won't hurt a thing, and could provide a much slicker channel to slide the film holder in.

Ole Tjugen
19-Jun-2008, 08:47
Here's a bail back - on a Linhof Technika 5x7":
http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Linhof_Tech/DSCN0385.JPG

Eric Woodbury
19-Jun-2008, 08:52
Is the movement between the camera and the tripod? I use two screws to attach the camera to the tripod head, so it cannot twist.

Brian K
19-Jun-2008, 09:31
When I put the film holder in from the right I am applying equal force to the camera back from the left. It never moves on me........

anchored
19-Jun-2008, 11:10
How do y'all prevent your cameras from moving around when you change film holders? This is also a problem when using polaroid/fuji instant backs when removing the films. I realize that you have to tighten everything as much as possilbe from the tripod/tripod head perspective, but what else do you do?

I've also get camera movement... my fix: Whenever shooting something possible camera movement during film changing could be an issue... I use QuickLoads where the film holder stays in the camera.