PDA

View Full Version : Pinkham's, Petzval's, & Petrol on Pater's Day 2008

Jim Galli
17-Jun-2008, 13:16
You know the drill. You guys seem to like these little blogs (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Pinkham&Smith/Synthetic/Of_Pinkhams_and_Petzvals_on_PatersDay.html) with ecclectic lenses.

If not, nothing to see here, move along.......

I'll double post this over at APUG for my many friends there.

Mark Sawyer
17-Jun-2008, 14:37
Well, there's a reason we like these little blogs, Jim, something about well-seen and well-made images from lenses that hold a bit of history and magic. I think we appreciate your own appreciation of them as well...

"I'll repay his graciousness with a portrait that he likely couldn't have gotten on purpose in all of Los Angeles."

I've sometimes wondered whether a photographer could keep a small commercial studio going by making large-format portraits with the old lenses. But perhaps it's an acquired taste, enjoyed mostly by a few over-the-hill... excuse me, "well-seasoned" photographers.

Jim Galli
17-Jun-2008, 14:47
Well, there's a reason we like these little blogs, Jim, something about well-seen and well-made images from lenses that hold a bit of history and magic. I think we appreciate your own appreciation of them as well...

"I'll repay his graciousness with a portrait that he likely couldn't have gotten on purpose in all of Los Angeles."

I've sometimes wondered whether a photographer could keep a small commercial studio going by making large-format portraits with the old lenses. But perhaps it's an acquired taste, enjoyed mostly by a few over-the-hill... excuse me, "well-seasoned" photographers.

My fantasy is to open a studio like Mike Disfarmer's and do penny portraits like his until I die. First I have to win lotto.

Hugo Zhang
17-Jun-2008, 15:31
Delicious!!!

Brian Bullen
17-Jun-2008, 16:23

I think Mark has said it perfectly here!:)

Jim, I hope you do win the lotto and open up a studio, I would love to see the results from that project.

eddie
18-Jun-2008, 21:08
awesome. now lets see some work from that old dallmeyer! :)

Jim Galli
19-Jun-2008, 06:13
awesome. now lets see some work from that old dallmeyer! :)

Really hope I can get to that this weekend!

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jun-2008, 23:10
Jim, these are great. I love them all! The portraits are especially good. I sent you an e-mail on a lens I picked up. A big Darlot. Let me know what you think.

Jim