PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 75mm f4.5 - CF necessary?

Paul O
17-Jun-2008, 12:58
Hi. Just wondered if anyone out there finds a centre filter necessary on a Nikon 75mm 4.5 shooting 5x4 transparency film? TIA Paul

IanG
17-Jun-2008, 13:05
Well some say you need to use a centre filter on a 90mm. There is slight fall off with my 75mm on 6x17, and I'm sure there would be a little on 5x4 too.

With B&W I have no problem dodging the corners but I would buy a centre filter if I was going to shoot transparencies.

Ian

Ron Marshall
17-Jun-2008, 13:13
I have the Rodenstock 75mm f4.5. For color neg, and of course b+W no problem, but for transparencies I would want a CF.

Walter Calahan
17-Jun-2008, 13:25
Depends on your esthetics.

Some like the drama that comes from the fall off. Others can't live with it.

If it doesn't work for you, get a center filter.

RDKirk
17-Jun-2008, 13:29
Agree with Walter. For what I shoot, I'd darken the corners anyway.

Brian Ellis
18-Jun-2008, 07:55
Try making some photographs without a CF and see what you think.

Paul O
18-Jun-2008, 13:34
Thanks for the replies - I'll give it a try without and see what happens :o

If I find the darkening objectionable can anyone recommend a particular brand/model CF to use?

Thanks Paul

Scott Rosenberg
18-Jun-2008, 21:38
paul,

i had a nikon 75/4.5 for a while and never found the need for a CF with any film. fantastic lens, btw.

anchored
18-Jun-2008, 23:04
For what those filters cost ($500-ish)... definitely try and see if you like or can live with the vignetting. One benefit of NOT using a centering filter is the heavy loss of light... my filter requires 2.5-stops more exposure when it's used.

As for brands... I don't believe there's a lot of choices... Rodenstock, Schneider, and Marusu (sp?) are the ones I know of. I use a Rodenstock centering filter because my lens is a Rodenstock. If Nikon makes a centering filter for their lenses, I would lean towards matching the lens and filter brand.

I use a centering filter all the time on my Rodenstock 75mm f4.5 with Velvia 50... if vignetting is wanted on an image I prefer to add it myself and control the effect.

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2008, 02:15
For what those filters cost ($500-ish)... definitely try and see if you like or can live with the vignetting. One benefit of NOT using a centering filter is the heavy loss of light... my filter requires 2.5-stops more exposure when it's used.

As for brands... I don't believe there's a lot of choices... Rodenstock, Schneider, and Marusu (sp?) are the ones I know of. I use a Rodenstock centering filter because my lens is a Rodenstock. If Nikon makes a centering filter for their lenses, I would lean towards matching the lens and filter brand.

I use a centering filter all the time on my Rodenstock 75mm f4.5 with Velvia 50... if vignetting is wanted on an image I prefer to add it myself and control the effect.

Heliopan makes excellent center filters.

butterflydream
19-Jun-2008, 16:43
Heliopan makes excellent center filters.

Kenko makes cheaper (~1/2) center filter.

Dan Baumbach
20-Jun-2008, 13:21
I use my 75mm Nikkor without a center filter and there is some vignetting. You'll have to decide if it's too much for you or not. Heliopan makes a great center filter for the lens and the last time I checked, Midwest Photo had the best prices on them.

- Dan.