PDA

View Full Version : glass plates

scott russell
17-Jun-2008, 05:35
Being that my combi plan can apparently develop 6 glass plates at a time, id figured id look into it. anyone know a good starting point to start reading?

jnantz
17-Jun-2008, 06:15
Being that my combi plan can apparently develop 6 glass plates at a time, id figured id look into it. anyone know a good starting point to start reading?

scott

do you want to know the best way to make dry plates,
or process them ?

i've done both, but i only process them in a tray.

it is not very hard, and a lot of fun ...

john

Gene McCluney
17-Jun-2008, 09:09
In general "ready made" glass photography plates are not available. There is ONE company in Russia that makes a limited amount, but there is no distribution of them in the USA.

Your best course of action is to learn to coat them yourself.

Kirk Keyes
17-Jun-2008, 13:01
TO make your own, check out:
http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/GlassNegatives/MapTopic.htm

Denise Ross' website on making emulsions is really the best out there now.

Rob_5419
17-Jun-2008, 17:34

Sure you gain faster quantity development. Might as well go digital if you want fast! ;)
I'd be reluctant to blow 6 plates at once, just because they fit a combi plan.
Glass plates need to be caressed slowly in developer and developed by eye. There are some old stock Ilford FP, panchromatic and ortho plates from the 70's still lurking around.

If you're coating your own, it's a whole new ball game. Since you coat each one individually, each deserves to be developed individually.

Why would you want to do that over development by inspection? :confused: :confused: