PDA

View Full Version : Dust on negatives

Bill Henick
27-Jan-2001, 17:14
I've noticed dust on my negatives that I'm sure has to do with my film loading t echnique. Do most people use compressed air? Need advice on 4x5 film loading t echnique to do it dust free. Thanks in advance.

Guy Anderson
27-Jan-2001, 19:09
I had dust problems prior to purchasing a HEPA filter. When I load film I will wipe down the floor & counters of the room where I load film. I then bring the filter in & run it for about 20 minutes. During that time I use a blow brush to clean each holder. Then I load the film. Have not had any dust problems since getting the filter.

I also store my holders in zip lock bags inside of a camera case.

David F. Stein
27-Jan-2001, 20:47
Global thinking-local action. I like the Ilford antistatic dust cloths; also consider cleaning holders with damp cloth and Ilford LFN solution.

Cal Eng
27-Jan-2001, 21:34
Another new product for the home which works great in the darkroom is called "Swifter" which attracts dust. The room has never been as dust free.

Raven Garrow
28-Jan-2001, 11:02
I vacuum the film holders with a regular vacuum. You could even use a hair dryer on a cool setting. I keep a paint brush with very soft bristles to brush out any dust in the holders as well.

Bruce Schultz
29-Jan-2001, 12:04
I use a technique I found on this board. You don't need to buy another piece of equipment, just use your shower. Go into the bathroom ahead of time and run hot water in the shower long enough to fog up the mirrors. The steamy atmosphere will suppress the dust. Since I started using this idea, I've had no major dust problems. Sometimes I load film after I take a shower but I have to remember to dry my beard first.