PDA

View Full Version : Franconia Notch

Navy Moose
15-Jun-2008, 05:39
Hello Friends,

Next weekend I'm heading up to Franconia Notch with a group, and I'm looking for interesting places to shoot within the Notch itself. I've done the Kanc, Rt. 302, and West Side Road.

I'm looking for good sunrise and sunset locations :)

I know the Old Man in the Mountain finally succumbed to the ages a few years ago.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

Zach In Israel
22-Jun-2008, 03:55
Please post your pictures, I now live in Israel but grew up in Boston and NH and miss it a bit

ASRafferty
22-Jun-2008, 04:20
Hello Friends,

Next weekend I'm heading up to Franconia Notch with a group, and I'm looking for interesting places to shoot within the Notch itself. I've done the Kanc, Rt. 302, and West Side Road.

I'm looking for good sunrise and sunset locations :)

I know the Old Man in the Mountain finally succumbed to the ages a few years ago.

You may want to contact Bruce Barlow or Richard Ritter... the Fine Focus Workshop crew was up there shooting last year. The Old Man left in 2003, but Profile Lake is prime sunrise/sunset material, and Cannon Mountain is right next door. My husband always got great shots at the Flume. All tourist meccas, I know, but tromping past the points where the tourists turn around and head back to their cars is the key.

Let's face it... you'd have to work pretty hard to MISS great sunrise and sunset locations up there... Have fun! :)

David Schaller
22-Jun-2008, 07:23
One of my favorite places in the Notch is the Falling Waters Trail, which will give you some nice waterfalls, as you might expect. Lonesome Lake, a one-mile hike, has great views of Mt. Lafayette. For climbing Lafayette itself, I prefer the Skoocumchcuk trail, which is beyond the Notch a bit on Rt. 3 toward Twin Mountain. That trail also has a nice brook, and, if you hike up to treeline, has spectacular views of the Pemi Wilderness. Bald Mountain, accessed from the parking lot across from the Peabody slopes of Cannon, is an easy 20 minute walk up for classic views of the Notch, and west for sunset.
I grew up in Littleton, so if you have more specific questions feel free to ask.
Dave

Navy Moose
22-Jun-2008, 15:10
Hello Gentlemen,

I was up in the Notch today shooting and missed your postings. Last night I drove part way up the Kanc and got some nice sunset shots. I had both my DSLR and my Crown on their pods shooting the Golden Hour. I was astonished by all the people leaving as the sun went below the horizon. There was still beauty to behold.

It was heavily overcast and rained early this morning, so I didn't bother heading out to shoot a sunrise.

I went to Flume Gorge early this morning and hiked the route. I got some wonderful shots of water running down the flume. I was there before the crowds, so my tripod didn't inconvenience anyone. I got to my car just before the skies opened up.

Daniel Webster Highway is a wonderful drive. I took it most of the way back to MA to avoid the traffic and the affect of highway driving in heavy rain. It took forever, but it was well worth it.

Sugar Hill Sampler has some great views of the mountains. I shot it both digitally and with my Crown. The lupiens were in bloom in many places.

Thank you all for the ideas for my next trip up, hopefully sometime in July or early August.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose