PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger Suggestions?

loismclewis
14-Jun-2008, 10:51
Hello all,
I am in the market for an enlarger: I want it to be able to print up to 4x5 using variable contrast paper, and have either a condenser or diffusion lamphouse. I was thinking either the Omega D5 or the Saunders/ LPL 4500. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

snuck
14-Jun-2008, 10:58
My suggestion is that you aren't too picky, wait for someone who wants to clean their basement or studio. This was how I picked up my Beseler MX and most of the rest of my studio, complete with an Aristo high output cold light head, for a whole 80 bucks. There was also a studio here in Toronto that was getting rid of their big heavy LF enlargers. A 8x10 enlarger went for $200...
Cheers

Robbie Shymanski
14-Jun-2008, 11:40
Right time & place. I was use given a "loaner" of a Omega 5x7 with a Coldlite. The key is to befriend older photographers. That or faithfully watch Craigslist. My DII almost cost me more in the gas it took to drive the 20 miles there and back plus road tolls.

loismclewis
14-Jun-2008, 14:36
I had already been looking on craigslist and ebay. There is a D5 available with a 50mm Rodenstock Rogonar-S f/2.8 ~ f/16, a 80mm Nikon El-Nikkor f/5.6 ~ f/32, 135mm, and a Schneider-Kreuzach Componar f/4.5 ~ f/22 for $1000.00. There is also a Saunders/ LPL 4500 for $1650.00 without any lens' or negative carriers.

Jon Shiu
14-Jun-2008, 14:44
Hi, those prices are too high. You should be able to get a good used D5 with lenses for $400-500 or an LPL 4550 for $500-1000. Also any lens ending with "ar"- such as componar, rogonar are lower cost lenses that aren't the best. Look for Rodagon, Componon S. The El-Nikkors are also good.

Jon

snuck
14-Jun-2008, 15:10
You know the other place to get good things are fairs. At the last Photo Historical Society of Canada photographica failr, I had a guy virtually GIVE me a lovely geared Elwood 5x7 enlarger.

wfwhitaker
14-Jun-2008, 16:34
There's a D5 in the classifieds section of this forum here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=37045). It's local pickup, though, so it depends on where you are.

Brian Ellis
14-Jun-2008, 20:47
I had already been looking on craigslist and ebay. There is a D5 available with a 50mm Rodenstock Rogonar-S f/2.8 ~ f/16, a 80mm Nikon El-Nikkor f/5.6 ~ f/32, 135mm, and a Schneider-Kreuzach Componar f/4.5 ~ f/22 for $1000.00. There is also a Saunders/ LPL 4500 for $1650.00 without any lens' or negative carriers.

Even if the Saunders includes the Saunders variable contrast head, it's still an extremely high price, the D5 is quite high too IMHO. With a little patience you should be able to pick up a good 4x5 enlarger and at least one excellent lens for a whole lot less than $1000. If you don't have any darkroom equipment look for package deals that include things like negative carriers, easels, timer, trays, filters, etc. The cost of buying that stuff separately can add up. Any enlarger can make prints on variable contrast paper but an enlarger with a color head (or, much harder to find used, a variable contrast b&w head such as the Aristo VCL4500 head) will make printing on variable contrast paper much more enjoyable than using filters.

Geary Lyons
14-Jun-2008, 21:08
Hello all,
I am in the market for an enlarger: I want it to be able to print up to 4x5 using variable contrast paper, and have either a condenser or diffusion lamphouse. I was thinking either the Omega D5 or the Saunders/ LPL 4500. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Where are you located?

Cheers,
Geary

lenser
14-Jun-2008, 22:28
If you are any where near Springfield, MO., I can help with a 4x5 Beseler in darn good shape for a very reasonable price. Where do you call home?

Jim Ewins
14-Jun-2008, 23:24
I really like my Saunders 4500 LPL with dichroic head. I don't know about prices as the value of the American dollar isn't worth warm spit (thanks to both parties). The enlarger uses light diffuser boxes, one for 4x5, one for 6x9 and a combo diffuser/condenser for 35mm. Normally using three lenses and three neg carriers although the 4x5 is glass and has one of them anti-neuton.

loismclewis
15-Jun-2008, 06:17
I am in Texas

barger
15-Jun-2008, 11:54
I have a Beseler 45V-XL with the Minolta/Beseler 45A light source and the companion system controller that I would like to sell. The unit is in near perfect condition, and the light source was professionally serviced recently (I have probably printed less than 30 prints since the work was done). I also have a second light source head and controller that are not working, but serve as a parts source. The "package" also includes the following items: 2 extra lensboards, a 3 lens rotating lensboard, Fujinon EX 135mm 5.6 lens, Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm 5.6 lens, Fujinon EX 75mm 4.5 lens, and a Schneider Comparon 105mm 4.5 lens. The lenses are mostly in good condition, one or two have some "fungus" internally, but I have not noticed any loss of print quality with them. I have a 35mm slide carrier, a 6x6 glass film carrier, a 6x9 film carrier and 2 4x5 film carriers. Other equipment I would add to the purchase would be a Kostiner 16x20 4 blade easel and an Omega 20x24 easel that has some rust, but is repairable. I would also include a ceiling mountable "super safelight" that can be used for all papers and film.

I am asking $1700 for the entire set up, and for that price will deliver within one driving day (about 700 miles) of Kansas City. Otherwise, shipping would have to be determined or pickup arranged.

neil poulsen
15-Jun-2008, 23:07
Go for a D5 condensor enlarger or color enlarger. I'm not sure about the situation where you live, but these have been sold on www.craigslist.org in Portland, OR. for under $100. The condenser D5's can be used with Kodak or Ilford 6" variable contrast filters.

As another poster recommended, wait for someone who's trying to clean out they're basement. Enlargers are hard to sell. Consequently, they can be found for very reasonable prices.

PViapiano
15-Jun-2008, 23:39
I found my D5XL on craigslist for $150, and included was the Super Chromega head and timer/power supply...perfect condition.

Carlos R Herrera
16-Jun-2008, 11:43
Well, Texas is a big state, but this one just popped up in Austin:

Omega D5
http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/721634529.html

Prices vary to be sure...those guys that found similar setups for under $200 were blessed...

CH