PDA

View Full Version : Graflok Ground Glass

downhome11138
14-Jun-2008, 10:00
I'm entertaining the idea of replacing the ground glass on my Crown Graphic. I'd like to increase the brightness and ease of focusing. But my question is, Is this is an easy operation that can be executed by a novice technician like myself? My concern is that I somehow throw the focus off. Any advice or counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Fromm
14-Jun-2008, 10:51
Well, the GG is held down by a pair of springs that are held in place by four screws. Two each. Easy to change. To get at them, pop the folding hood out of the focusing panel.

The only risk is that you'll put the new GG in backwards. The ground side should face the lens, the smooth side should face the photographer.

gevalia
15-Jun-2008, 05:21
I just did this a month ago. Bought a Speed Graphics off fleebay but the GG was scratched up real bad. So I bought the new GG off fleebay (there are 2 or 3 good guys for this). 4 screws and its in. Real easy and nothing to worry about. When you take the old GG out, you will probably see a fresnel screen back-to-back with the GG. Make sure you put the Fresnel back in with the new GG. You might want to wash the Fresnel 1st with Dawn in the sink carefully. Also make sure that you put both the GG and Fresnel back in facing the right way. This was my 1st LF camera and I've already had the rails off and rangefinder out so it's pretty easy to work on.

Bill_1856
15-Jun-2008, 06:44
EARLY Graflock backs (like the spring backs before them) had a plain piece of ground glass, so all you have to do it to replace it, with the rough side of the Maxwell (or whatever) screen facing the lens.
However, most of the Graflock backs had Ektalite Fresnel screens in front of the ground glass, so you can't just drop a new "super screen" in, and I think it would have to be shimmed by a professional repair person (like Richard Ritter) to work properly.

Navy Moose
15-Jun-2008, 07:54
EARLY Graflock backs (like the spring backs before them) had a plain piece of ground glass, so all you have to do it to replace it, with the rough side of the Maxwell (or whatever) screen facing the lens.
However, most of the Graflock backs had Ektalite Fresnel screens in front of the ground glass, so you can't just drop a new "super screen" in, and I think it would have to be shimmed by a professional repair person (like Richard Ritter) to work properly.
I have an more recent Crown, and it was just as described here. Quick and easy. The machine screws were small and I wish I had my needle nose pliers with me for the task. I am going to be ordering a new glass from a firm in Belgium that Dave from SatinSnow told me about. I spoke to the owner and she (?) said the measurements on her website are correct, she has a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The link is here (http://sheetfilm.be/groundglass_45.htm).

Geert
16-Jun-2008, 02:30
I have an more recent Crown, and it was just as described here. Quick and easy. The machine screws were small and I wish I had my needle nose pliers with me for the task. I am going to be ordering a new glass from a firm in Belgium that Dave from SatinSnow told me about. I spoke to the owner and she (?) said the measurements on her website are correct, she has a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The link is here (http://sheetfilm.be/groundglass_45.htm).

Thanks Navy Moose, but I'm definitely male :-)
The female variation of my name is 'Greet'.

Geert

Navy Moose
16-Jun-2008, 13:13
Thanks Navy Moose, but I'm definitely male :-)
The female variation of my name is 'Greet'.

Geert
Hi Geert,

I sent you an apology via email a few minutes ago, but I wanted to make sure to apologize to you here as well. I couldn't tell by your name if you were male or female, some Dutch names I have trouble identifying.

Navy Moose