PDA

View Full Version : help with some old brass. Hermagis and C. Berthiot

eddie
13-Jun-2008, 05:19
hi all,

attached are some pictures of some "new to me" lenses that came out of the infamous lens mine...:) :)

i am looking for any and all info that i can get about them. i am interested in their coverage, performance and value.

i learned that the Hermagis and C. Berthiot are Aplanat designs. they are about 22-25 inch focal lengths, i will try them soon to confirm. they are old and BIG. in the attached photo from L-R they are Voitlander 7B, a Dallmeyere 2a (already mounted to a kodak 2D by our favorite soft focus guy, Jim Galli), the Hermagis Apl No. 2 and last is the C. Berthiot.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=840954

you will all be happy with this story.....the "Little Green Man" that i got these lenses from told me he got them minutes before they were to hit a 12 yard dumpster.....isn't that the type of story we all love to hear? :) :)

thanks for the help. please note that is some of the best IPA beer available!

eddie

eddie
13-Jun-2008, 05:22
Hello Mr. Galli got any pictures on what that dallmeyer looks like on a 2D?

eddie
13-Jun-2008, 16:05
no one has any info on these babies? they can not be that rare!

any one?

any one ?

beuler?

Brian Bullen
13-Jun-2008, 17:08
Hey Eddie, email this guy http://emilschildt.com/ if he doesn't post over on Ape-Hug. I know he has a Hermagis a size smaller than yours. I think the Berthiot in that size isn't too common, so it might be hard to find someone with direct, hands on experience. I think the 7b is a big petzval and if the glass is good, will be worth a pretty penny.

eddie
13-Jun-2008, 18:58
thanks for the tips bulley.

i thought i had the only one in existence. :) the big 7b i know about. i will be shooting with that shortly.

the other lenses are 22+ inches. i do not have a camera to test them on to make it worth while. what good effects could i get with a lens that long that covers ULF by shooting it on an 8x10? i guess i will have to beg and borrow a 12x20 or 20x24 to try this out with......

eddie

Brian Bullen
13-Jun-2008, 21:11
thanks for the tips bulley.

the other lenses are 22+ inches. i do not have a camera to test them on to make it worth while. what good effects could i get with a lens that long that covers ULF by shooting it on an 8x10? i guess i will have to beg and borrow a 12x20 or 20x24 to try this out with......

eddie
You know, they make x-ray film in 14"x36", you could have one made.:)

What's the focal length of the 7B? It probably weighs more than my 2 year old.