PDA

View Full Version : Where can I have Kodak 400 (new) and Astia 8x10 cut to 5x7?

Robert Fisher
11-Jun-2008, 08:11
Thanks!

John Kasaian
11-Jun-2008, 08:44
I don't know what the cost would be, but I'd consider getting a paper trim and making a jig so you could do this at home :)

As an alternative, you might take the idea to Photo Warehouse, which used to cut their film to any size you want---perhaps they still do.

Gene McCluney
11-Jun-2008, 09:45
Probably the "only" place you can have film cut down to 5x7 is in your own darkroom. It is not hard, difficult or complex. Just get a nice tabletop rotary trimmer and go to it.

Robert Fisher
11-Jun-2008, 09:56
Thanks Gene and John. I just checked with Ultrafine (Photo Warehouse) and they said no therefore I will just try to master cutting with some old 810 film.

Michael Alpert
11-Jun-2008, 10:26
Robert,

I recommend an 18" Rotatrim cutter. They are expensive, but are very well made. In order to avoid scratching the film, it is important to bring the cutter all the way to the far end, and then lift the plastic holding guide when putting the film in place. Then, of course, you need to press lightly on the guide while moving the cutter. (It's easier to do the cutting than to write about it!) I found an Internet supplier that was quick and (relatively) economical.

http://www.thebestthings.com/photoimg/rotatrim.htm

Ken Lee
11-Jun-2008, 10:47
I have a trimmer, and also use an Infra Red monocular (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/tech.html#Monocular) when handling Black&White film.

With such a device, you can see exactly what you are doing - so cutting film is no longer performed "in the dark" at all.

Kevin Crisp
11-Jun-2008, 12:03
I avoided doing this for a long, long time then started shooting 4X10. It is easier than you think. I use a plain old Ingento guillotine-style cutter. I put several layers of masking tape on the 4" mark, hold my very big hand on the film to keep it against that fence, then cut it. The masking tape is tall enough to be accurate and short enough to remain on the paper cutter all the time. I then use a handheld hole puncher to nick the edge since one sheet won't have notches. I made just a few mistakes early on but with very little practice this is pretty quick and reliable. Obviously you would need two cuts for 5X7. I am sure a rotary trimmer is even better but I don't have one of those.

As to the issue of dust when cutting your own, and having it exposed to the air in the darkroom, was easy to solve. After loading the holders, I pull the dark slide out and hold the film over the output of a Honeywell HEPA filter machine, turned up to high. I haven't had a dust issue since I started doing that and it is pretty close to the top of my list of photographic things I wished I learned a long time ago.

wfwhitaker
11-Jun-2008, 14:17
Last year I when I was needing some 6x10, I spoke with someone at Photowarehouse who told me that they could cut down 8x10 to my specification. While they no longer sell large format sheet film, they apparently still have the equipment they used to cut from master rolls. The charge quoted me was by the hour with a one-hour minimum. At the time I believe that was $45. For one box that's a lot. But for several boxes it makes a lot of sense. I think we figured something like five boxes per hour. Again, that was for cutting 6x10 from 8x10 which is only one cut. 5x7 would be two cuts, so I would assume that an hour's yield would be less, driving up the cost per shot. But check with them and see. I still haven't followed through with having 6x10 cut, so I can't comment further. But I'd happily ante up the dough to avoid cutting film in the dark.

Robert Fisher
11-Jun-2008, 15:21
Will, I spoke to Photo Warehouse today and was told that they are not interested.