PDA

View Full Version : !!!WANTED!!! -> Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5

Caracalla
11-Jun-2008, 00:57
Good day,

I won a lottery:p just kidding..... I sold my Canon gear and I am ready to purchase Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5 in mint/good condition!!!

Anybody selling one here... or where else can I find one?

Do I have to be lucky or rich to find one, or both:p

Any images/Attributes/Pros & Cons/Advice highly appreciated!!!

Cheers!!!

Toyon
11-Jun-2008, 05:36
Try Lens and Repro in New York. They also have America's best displayed photography collection on view in their store.

Petzval Paul
11-Jun-2008, 05:59
The Bi-Quality was made by Pinkham only and is a later model. The Visual Quality is the P&S model and is the "original" one. The designs are similar and I hear that the quality is pretty much the same.

Personally, I feel that there has way to much hype over that particular model, however. It was meant to be a middle-of-the-road kind of lens: soft wide open and sharp closed down. Sure, it's nice and I've seen beautiful pics made with it, but I think you could get fine images for a lot less money. Jim Galli's website had a whole page on this... maybe someone could provide a link?

Since Cooke offered the PS 945 everyone seems to equate "Pinkham and Smith" with the VQ model when, in fact, it was the Semi Achromat that established their reputation, being favored by a large number of early pictoralists. The VQ and certainly the Bi-Quality were introduced pretty much after the pictorial craze had subsided and seemed to be more aimed at the portrait photographers of the day.

I only have the Synthetic model and I think it's really a winner! Read the P&S literature available on Cameraeccentric's website [www.cameraeccentric.com, I think] and see what they were advertising.

Best of luck with your quest. Please do post some images when you find your baby!

- Paul

Hugo Zhang
11-Jun-2008, 07:34
Based on the selling price of last Bi-Quality on ebay, I sometimes feel the strong temptation to let my mint Bi-Quality lens go.

Caracalla
11-Jun-2008, 10:16
Try Lens and Repro in New York. They also have America's best displayed photography collection on view in their store.

Toyon, Thanks for the reference (Lens and Repro in New York) Some times they do have nice things, but I don't like it when they tell you it's MINT and they end up not to be MINT at all!!!

The Bi-Quality was made by Pinkham only and is a later model. The Visual Quality is the P&S model and is the "original" one. The designs are similar and I hear that the quality is pretty much the same.

Personally, I feel that there has way to much hype over that particular model, however. It was meant to be a middle-of-the-road kind of lens: soft wide open and sharp closed down. Sure, it's nice and I've seen beautiful pics made with it, but I think you could get fine images for a lot less money. Jim Galli's website had a whole page on this... maybe someone could provide a link?

Since Cooke offered the PS 945 everyone seems to equate "Pinkham and Smith" with the VQ model when, in fact, it was the Semi Achromat that established their reputation, being favored by a large number of early pictoralists. The VQ and certainly the Bi-Quality were introduced pretty much after the pictorial craze had subsided and seemed to be more aimed at the portrait photographers of the day.

I only have the Synthetic model and I think it's really a winner! Read the P&S literature available on Cameraeccentric's website [www.cameraeccentric.com, I think] and see what they were advertising.

Best of luck with your quest. Please do post some images when you find your baby!

- Paul

Paul, of course I will post more than few images.... I just wanted to find out what everybody thinks and perhaps to see some images rendered!!!

I love the Cooke lens, friend of mine is getting a new version next month... so we'll see.

Jim is amazing, I think if he was F1 Driver riding on turtle.... he would still find a way and end up first:) Basically , Jim had made some amazing images even with US$50 lenses..... JUST AMAZING!!!

Based on the selling price of last Bi-Quality on ebay, I sometimes feel the strong temptation to let my mint Bi-Quality lens go.

Hugo, I guess you're the man to talk too;) I would appreciate few images/PM to negotiate:D

Caracalla
12-Jun-2008, 19:47
Nothing yet?:(

Hugo Zhang
14-Jun-2008, 10:12
Some pictures...

Jim Galli
14-Jun-2008, 11:25
Not nice to tease Hugo!

Brian Bullen
14-Jun-2008, 11:40
Tell me about it!:rolleyes:
Now you should have to share it with the rest of the class!!

rknewcomb
14-Jun-2008, 13:29
Can you say LUST!

Mark Sawyer
14-Jun-2008, 16:56
I want one too...

domenico Foschi
15-Jun-2008, 10:42
Hugo, I'll take the rear element.

Colin Graham
15-Jun-2008, 10:44
Hell, if you're parting it out, I'll give you scrap value. ;)

Caracalla
30-Jun-2008, 16:31
Some pictures...

Hugo, I guess you're the MAN:p

Since Hugo didn't use the lens yet, could anyone forward the link/links or even post
number of images... i would highly appreciated!!!

Caracalla
2-Jul-2008, 21:07
Jim Galli,

I would appreciate it if you could post some images taken with your Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5?

This lens is mighty expensive!!!

Come on... Hugo, you're not using the lens much.... you sell it to me for a good price and anytime
you want to us it... you are welcome;)

Jim Galli
3-Jul-2008, 06:46
Jim Galli,

I would appreciate it if you could post some images taken with your Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5?

This lens is mighty expensive!!!

Come on... Hugo, you're not using the lens much.... you sell it to me for a good price and anytime
you want to us it... you are welcome;)

I have used my 12" version more than my 14" version. Here are pages that include images made with both of these lenses.

12" P&S Visual Quality;

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/PinkhamSmithLens.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/TailgatePortraits/TheTailgatePortraits.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Downings/Some%20uncommon%20portaiture.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EasternSierraWorkshopOct2006/PerVolquartzWSsierras.html

14" P&S Bi-Quality (late run of Visual Quality) exactly the same as Hugo's

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/JapaneseLanterns/The_Japanese_Lanterns_7_Portrait_Lenses.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/Apricot_Blossums.html

They are both treasures and I wouldn't sell either one at any price :D

Caracalla
3-Jul-2008, 09:47
I have used my 12" version more than my 14" version. Here are pages that include images made with both of these lenses.

12" P&S Visual Quality;

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/PinkhamSmithLens.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/TailgatePortraits/TheTailgatePortraits.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Downings/Some%20uncommon%20portaiture.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EasternSierraWorkshopOct2006/PerVolquartzWSsierras.html

14" P&S Bi-Quality (late run of Visual Quality) exactly the same as Hugo's

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/JapaneseLanterns/The_Japanese_Lanterns_7_Portrait_Lenses.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/Apricot_Blossums.html

They are both treasures and I wouldn't sell either one at any price :D

!!!T H A N K S Jim for both examples!!!

Actually, I loved both examples... 12" P&S Visual Quality & 14" P&S Bi-Quality. I would pick whichever one I am more likely to find..... l presume, later version 14" P&S Bi-Quality would probably be more often on the market... Although, in my experience so far... they do come up for sale 2,3 times on ebay per year..... but definitely not as often as we would like.

I also loved the one with 13.5" Voigtlander Portrait Euryscop Series II!!!

3D look is just Amazing..... I was looking to find some info or perhaps one one ebay, unfortunately no luck yet....

How rare is 13.5" Voigtlander Portrait Euryscop Series II?

Are there any European Stores/Auction houses in France/etc. where I could pick one or at least look for one.... The problem going to Europe is strong Euro conversion to US$.. but I would pay a little more if I have to!!!

They are in the right hands, so I can't blame you for not selling them because unlike our friend Hugo you are using them....

!!!Come on Hugo, you are better off selling it to me and along with that get a free lifetime weekend barbecue pass at my place:p !!!

Jim, BTW Amazing Photography..... and THANKS Again!!!

Jim Galli
3-Jul-2008, 10:20
[QUOTE=Caracalla;365368]
They are in the right hands, so I can't blame you for not selling them because unlike our friend Hugo you are using them....QUOTE]

Ouch! I've seen some lovely examples of Hugo's work. His price probably just went up.

I've only ever seen 1 of the Series II Portrait Euryscop. The one I bought. Guess that makes it rare. I have a 12" Series III I would sell but no examples to show you. They are marvelous lenses but not in the same class as the Pinkham's imesho.

FWIW, I think my portraiture personal best to date was done with that Euryscop Series II. May have more to do with the subject and opportunity than the lens. It has never been shown.

Caracalla
3-Jul-2008, 10:41
[QUOTE=Caracalla;365368]
They are in the right hands, so I can't blame you for not selling them because unlike our friend Hugo you are using them....QUOTE]

Ouch! I've seen some lovely examples of Hugo's work. His price probably just went up.

I

Hugo told me, he is not using it much..... so I have to believe him:D

Come on Hugooo, make the SALE, I am throwing a
FREE Lifetime Weekend Barbecue Pass:p!!!!

[QUOTE=Caracalla;365368]
I've only ever seen 1 of the Series II Portrait Euryscop. The one I bought. Guess that makes it rare.

That is what I am talking about... I couldn't find nothing other than the link you posted.. THNAKS AGAIN!!!

[QUOTE=Caracalla;365368]
FWIW, I think my portraiture personal best to date was done with that Euryscop Series II. May have more to do with the subject and opportunity than the lens. It has never been shown.

I totally agree!!! I've noticed the flavor of Euryscop Series II right away... unbelievable look!!!

As far as having more to do with the subject and opportunity than the lens.... NO MY FRIEND... It's you, your taste... than the lens and you better believe it... it is AGAIN YOU choosing your subject!!!

wfwhitaker
3-Jul-2008, 11:45
Sorry Percival. He's already married.

Caracalla
3-Jul-2008, 12:26
Sorry Percival. He's already married.

So am I... and I have six children;)

Oh... Sorry, I am probably interrupting one of your many (endeavors) I mean scripts now am I:D .... Furthermore, considering your extraordinary efforts, it wouldn't be fair to brake the spirit or God forbid the rhythm of your mischievous plot?:p

Caracalla
19-Aug-2008, 02:37
Does anybody know who purchased this one on ebay... looks like a very good QUALITY!!!

Ash
19-Aug-2008, 03:58
You're very excitable.

Caracalla
19-Aug-2008, 04:02
You're very excitable.

Perhaps more than a little, but can you blame me:p Folks here have tons of experience so if they don't now nothing about it... than I'm fine with that, hehehehehe!

tom thomas
11-Nov-2008, 16:29
Hi, It's Tom Thomas again, back after a year of odd distracting experiences that took priority over my camera hobby. Like helping my son paint the outside of his house in Sept/Oct, vacation to France to settle mother-in-law in assisted center last November, Ice storm in December, epidural steroid shots in lumbar vertebrae at XMAS and after, all kinds of diagnostic tests for nerve related health problems, hail storm in April resulting in new roof and many appts with roofers. Summer lawn care, fall leaf raking, laying tile and flooring at son's house, painting, etc.

Phew, now I have a moment to discuss selling my LF lenses including a Pinkham Bi-Quality 14-inch that Caracalla is seeking.

For Caracalla, I did sent you a private message last week about the lens but haven't had a reply. Perhaps because I came out of the blue with my message after such a long absence and you don't feel comfortable about it. I'll let you have first crack at it should you still be interested. As I mentioned to you, I'll accept what Igor of Igor's Camera's offered me wholesale for it. If you are still on the forum and received my email, contact me and I'll give you my asking price. I think you will be surprised at it.

The lens is not "mint" as someone mentioned about those at Lens and Repro but it has been gently used by a professional studio photographer and the barrel has been rubbed a bit with minor wear scratches on the lens cap. The lens appears clear, aperature is smooth throughout it's range. The lens is mounted on one very heavy chunk of wood then attached to a standard backplate. I guess the previous owner must have supported it with a tripod under the bellows.

I'd originally posted photos of it back on Sep 14th but will attach a couple again as it's easier than describing the mounting it has.

In the photo of the lens cap taken through the lens, you can see the minor scratches on the lens cap clearly. Guess that shows just how clear the lens really is too.

I'm also ready to sell my Verito 8 3/4", and the other lenses I have. Mine doesn't have the ding for $895 like the one for sale at Lens and Repro. Plus it has some accessories like extension tube, filter mounts and glare shield.

As I'd mentioned back in September, I'm not a large format photographer, I just lucked into these lenses at an auction.

I did finally open a Paypal account too which will make me feel more comfortable and I hope you guys too when selling/buying. Will speed up shipment too.

It's Veteran's Day and to you veterans like myself, I thank you for serving. I served nearly 21 years in US Air Force. Oh, I did spend last Thanksgiving Day in France with the US Marines lying at Belleau Wood today. What a beautiful and well-maintained cemetery and monument. They rest in American soil too as it was brought from the US for the cemetery. I did get a couple nice photos.

tom thomas
11-Nov-2008, 16:38
Oh, I forgot to mention. Mine is machined with number 114 at the top of the barrel behind the aperature ring. I guess this is the serial number.

Tom Thomas

8x10 user
11-Nov-2008, 21:23
How much are you selling it for?

8x10 user
15-Jun-2009, 10:41
Anyone else looking for one of these? PM me for details.

goamules
15-Jun-2009, 11:47
The question probably should be, "is anyone not looking for one of these..."

seven
15-Jun-2009, 13:38
as they said on the news - now is the time to buy a house, a car... a Pinkham...

PINKHAM BI-QUALITY 14" on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230347864306&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&salenotsupported)

goamules
15-Jun-2009, 17:21
I agree but only if the price is truly down and matching what the market bears. I've seen some pretty crazy asking prices on lenses recently, actually higher than they were at the peak a year ago. But the majority don't sell at those high prices, and there are others. Have you noticed the large Veritos that went for 600-800 last year are going for 300 this year? Then there'll be someone advertising some standard 5x7 brassy rapid rectilinear for $450. Ok, so each of us has to ask himself, what is a P&S worth to me right now?

8x10 user
16-Jun-2009, 05:12
The Pinkham that I mentioned before is no longer available. Thank you.

Caracalla
20-Jun-2009, 08:32
as they said on the news - now is the time to buy a house, a car... a Pinkham...

PINKHAM BI-QUALITY 14" on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230347864306&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&salenotsupported)

nooooooo... I'm late for this one too!!!

ozlandscaper
12-Mar-2010, 11:19
Hello All,
I'm a long time lurker here, but have just registered so I can get some advice about a Pinkham and Smith lens I'm planning to sell.
It's a P+S Visual Quality No.3 Series IV, and I'm pretty sure it's a 14", but would like to be sure.
It has a front mounted Packard shutter that was modified to fit by Lens and Repro in NYC, with the addition of a flash sync PC socket. For me, it made shooting in the studio a real pleasure.

In the next week or so I'm going to put it up on eBay, and want to make sure that the listing is as accurate as possible. Anyone who's likely to want this lens is also likely to know a great deal about it already, but I always like to be on the safe side.

Would someone take a moment to look at the pictures I'm putting up to let me know what focal length it's likely to be? FWIW, the serial number is 2623.

Thanks!

Angus

CCHarrison
12-Mar-2010, 11:31
Yes, a # 3 is a 14 inch "equivalent focus" lens....

See my article here with more Pinkham & Smith Lens information...

http://antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenses.html

Dan

Jim Galli
12-Mar-2010, 11:48
...and my catalog here (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ps_3.html).

That is a lovely prize. Wish I could have it, but, does anyone really need 2 14" Visual Quality lenses :D:D

Robert Hughes
12-Mar-2010, 12:52
From Jim's catalog: "As was to be expected, the American tendency to carry things too far soon manifested itself.... a lot of mushy stuff was turned out in the old days and dubbed pictorial photography."

Hah! Nothing succeeds like excess! :p

I love the "depth" lenses described later - the 3D glasses of the 20's!

Jim Galli
12-Mar-2010, 12:56
From Jim's catalog: "As was to be expected, the American tendency to carry things too far soon manifested itself.... a lot of mushy stuff was turned out in the old days and dubbed pictorial photography."

Hah! Nothing succeeds like excess! :p

It's the American way! :D:D

ozlandscaper
12-Mar-2010, 17:03
"Wish I could have it, but, does anyone really need 2 14" Visual Quality lenses"

If it's the American way, and some is good, surely it follows that more is better!

With two lenses, you could do P+S Stereophotography...

Richard K.
12-Mar-2010, 17:24
Yes, a # 3 is a 14 inch "equivalent focus" lens....

See my article here with more Pinkham & Smith Lens information...

http://antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenses.html

Dan

Hey Dan when is installment 3 coming out?

Richard K.
12-Mar-2010, 17:26
...and my catalog here (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ps_3.html).

That is a lovely prize. Wish I could have it, but, does anyone really need 2 14" Visual Quality lenses :D:D

Can someone remind me: who actually manufactured these?

ozlandscaper
22-Mar-2010, 07:52
The lens is now up on eBay. Meant to post this when I listed it, but forgot!

http://item.ebay.com/200451627019

Ken Lee
22-Mar-2010, 08:08
Hi ozlandscaper -

We don't allow sale of items via links to eBay here.

Perhaps you weren't aware.

In the future, if you want to sell something, just place it in our For Sale section, without any links to eBay.

Following the rules, you can sell directly to fellow forum members, without any fee :)

I'm sure someone will buy it, enjoy it, and make good photos with it.

Stephanie Brim
22-Mar-2010, 09:29
Also, trust me...you didn't need to post it. Most who would want it here know how to search Ebay for them. ;) I'm watching, but I'm broke...I just want to see how high it goes. ;)

SAShruby
25-Mar-2010, 13:05
Damn, didn't win this one. $4550.

8x10 user
25-Mar-2010, 13:05
Wow!

Jim Galli
25-Mar-2010, 13:09
Wow!

what he said........

Stephanie Brim
25-Mar-2010, 13:29
Yeah, I was watching it, too, just for interest's sake. That's outrageous. I hope, at least, that the person buying it intends to use it.

cdholden
25-Mar-2010, 14:10
Yeah, I was watching it, too, just for interest's sake. That's outrageous. I hope, at least, that the person buying it intends to use it.

I hope, at least, that the person buying it intends to make money with it.

Hugo Zhang
25-Mar-2010, 14:17
I'd better list mine. Strike the iron while it's hot.

Jim Galli
25-Mar-2010, 14:23
I'd better list mine. Strike the iron while it's hot.

Yeah, like, who was that 2nd place bidder? I've got a lens for him.

SAShruby
25-Mar-2010, 15:11
Jim? You're saying you would let go your lens for this price?

I'm not a second bidder though. My last bid didn't go through because of his.

Stephanie Brim
25-Mar-2010, 18:13
I hope, at least, that the person buying it intends to make money with it.

It could be a very, very rich hobbyist. ;)

anjarval
26-Mar-2010, 06:09
When i´m comparing Jim Gallis pictures taken with the P&S and the Verito. I cant see any difference, well excuse me i´m a nouvelle but whats the fuzz?
:confused:

Stephanie Brim
26-Mar-2010, 11:08
You probably have to look at a print. I'll never have one, so I can't say I'll ever know. :D