PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 4x5 film in Southern CA?

David Conley
10-Jun-2008, 12:57
Greetings,
Friend of mine is loaning me his 4x5 for a trip to Yosemite. I have casually shot 120, but no experience with 4x5. I need a local source for film quiclkly (in stock) to avoid large shipping fee. Any ideas? Paul's in Torrance has some expired.

Anywhere between San Clemente and Torrance is ideal. Any advice?

I am hoping to get some Velvia maybe a Kodak line, maybe IR? I know Kodak two brands are Efke and Rollei.

Thanks in advance.

David

Louie Powell
10-Jun-2008, 13:01
Calumet has several stores in Southern CA.

Freestyle in LA.

Bob Salomon
10-Jun-2008, 13:04
Samy's

Mike Boden
10-Jun-2008, 13:04
Also, Samy's Camera. www.samys.com They have several locations.

David Karp
10-Jun-2008, 13:09
Freestyle. www.freestylephoto.biz.

Daniel_Buck
10-Jun-2008, 13:19
I 2nd all 3 of those suggestions!

Walter Calahan
10-Jun-2008, 13:22
All the above, and probably more.

BrianShaw
10-Jun-2008, 14:30
Anywhere between San Clemente and Torrance is ideal. Any advice?

Calumet has an office in Irvine. That is between "here and there". You might do OK there, but you might also get a better selection if you venture north to Hollywood an visit Freestyle.

Harley Goldman
10-Jun-2008, 15:33
Samy's. If you ask for a discount, they will usually give it to you. Just tell them a friend always gets a discount and told me to ask for one. Usually works.

John Kasaian
10-Jun-2008, 15:36
Just in case you run out of film on your trip---4x5 is also available at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley---call ahead to see whats in stock.
Horn's in Fresno, along the way(about a nano-second off of FWY 41) also stocks 4x5.

Eric Leppanen
10-Jun-2008, 15:57
Regarding sources in Orange County: the Calumet store in Santa Ana is virtually all digital and stocks relatively little film. I would suggest either Samy's Costa Mesa store (their Pasadena store is also a good source and conveniently located near I-210) or Pro Photo Connection (http://www.prophotoirvine.com/index.html).

jasonjoo
10-Jun-2008, 20:35
I've been going to Freestyle since I started my venture into traditional photography (which is only a few months now). Their customer service is great and their prices seems fair. Their Arista.EDU sheet film is absurdly cheap. I'd buy a pack just to practice loading film into holders and such.

I've had good experience with Samy's in Santa Ana as well, but will not support the Samy's in LA any more (well, their digital department was terrible. I hear better things about the other departments, but that first impression was enough for me).

athanasius80
10-Jun-2008, 21:50
There's the Freestyle distribution center off the 605 in Santa Fe Springs. I usually go there because I don't get to browse at all sorts of stuff that I want but can't afford.

Jim Noel
11-Jun-2008, 18:23
Freestyle has the largest variety of makes, speeds and prices. Since you are new at 4x5 perhaps one of the Arista films from Freestyle would be a good way to go.

Freestyle is on Sunset Blvd, east of Hwy 101.

domenico Foschi
11-Jun-2008, 20:35
There's the Freestyle distribution center off the 605 in Santa Fe Springs. I usually go there because I don't get to browse at all sorts of stuff that I want but can't afford.

Freestyle as well.
The facility in Santa Fe Springs is about 5 miles from my house, a great convenience.
Athanasious, are you related with Manos and Georgette by any chance?

David Conley
13-Jun-2008, 14:40
Wow, what great replies. Thank you all.

I did not think of Calumet because I have never been able to catch it open, always wanted to though when visiting REI. Samy's also never occurred to me as I only went to the LA store once.

I will hit Samy's Santa Ana and later Freestyle. Thanks also for the Ansel Gallery in Yosemite, and the other sources as well.

My next question will be reccomendations for processing. Anyone use Swan Photo Labs in San Clemente? That is where Paul's sends their 4x5.

Thanks!

Eric Leppanen
13-Jun-2008, 16:06
My next question will be reccomendations for processing. Anyone use Swan Photo Labs in San Clemente? That is where Paul's sends their 4x5.Haven't heard of Swan but their processing fees look pricey. I'd suggest checking out Datachrome (http://www.data-chrome.com), Custom Images (http://www.customimgs.com) and Pro Photo Connection (http://www.prophotoirvine.com). All are located in the Costa Mesa area near the airport.

domenico Foschi
13-Jun-2008, 22:08
Wow, what great replies. Thank you all.

I did not think of Calumet because I have never been able to catch it open, always wanted to though when visiting REI. Samy's also never occurred to me as I only went to the LA store once.

I will hit Samy's Santa Ana and later Freestyle. Thanks also for the Ansel Gallery in Yosemite, and the other sources as well.

My next question will be reccomendations for processing. Anyone use Swan Photo Labs in San Clemente? That is where Paul's sends their 4x5.

Thanks!

Swan is a good place.
The quality is excellent, they took the place of A&I in my heart...