PDA

View Full Version : Format change on Sinar X

W K Longcor
10-Jun-2008, 12:42
When purchased, I was told that one shortcoming of my Sinar X was that it was limited to the 4X5 size. (I have never really thought of this as a shortcoming since I bought it for 4X5 work and had a studio full of other cameras - including multiple 8X10). A while back, I was told by someone who claimed that he knew -- that It WAS possible to do format changes (ie: 5x7 or 8x10) but it took a little doing and Sinar wasn't about to tell you how! Oddly - time did not permit , and the guy in question did not tell me how either. Now, I am retired - with time on my hands (Don't tell my wife -- she will have projects for me!) and these puzzles keep my mind spinning -- anybody know for sure about format changing a Sinar X??:cool:

Ling Z
11-Jun-2008, 23:04
Check here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32958

I have some instructions for your convert a Sinar X to P2.

W K Longcor
12-Jun-2008, 05:04
Ling Z -- Thank you so very much! The photos and instuction are most helpful! WK

Keith Pitman
12-Jun-2008, 06:34
Check the PM I sent you for a contact for parts.

W K Longcor
12-Jun-2008, 07:38
Check the PM I sent you for a contact for parts.

Thanks Keith: Very helpful. I'm tagging him as a "favorite seller". :)

W K Longcor
12-Jun-2008, 07:43
Check here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32958

I have some instructions for your convert a Sinar X to P2.

After doing this rotation of the mounting post -- do I need to turn it back to the original position to remount the 4x5 Sinar X rear?:confused:

Ling Z
12-Jun-2008, 08:21
After doing this rotation of the mounting post -- do I need to turn it back to the original position to remount the 4x5 Sinar X rear?:confused:

Yes, if you wanna your original Sinar X rear frame, you have to turn it back. Otherwise, you have to get a Sinar P2 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 rear frame. Attached is a picture of Sinar P2 rear frame. As you can see from it, the major difference is how the mouting screw goes.