PDA

View Full Version : Places to stop along my I-80 road trip?

vinny
9-Jun-2008, 21:50
I'll be leaving los angeles in less than two weeks for home (Cross Village, Michigan) and i'll be taking I-15 to Utah then I-70 to I-80 the rest of the way. I shoot landscapes mostly but i'll stop for abandoned factories, farms, etc. I'm okay with doing short jaunts off the freeway and i plan on taking maybe 4-5 days on the way there.

On the way back i may go through the Upper Peninsula and catch I-90 to Wyoming then I-25 south to Boulder, Colorado where i'll spend a day or so.

I need some places to shoot!

thanks

vinny

Walter Calahan
10-Jun-2008, 04:39
There are wonderful opportunities all along the way, but it might take you years to get to Michigan if you shoot like me. Grin.

Safe travels.

Scott Davis
10-Jun-2008, 05:23
Definitely worth a side trip off I-80 is Flaming Gorge National Park. It's a short distance from I-80, in Wyoming. My strongest recommendation when driving through there is to make sure you have a full tank - towns and gas stations in Wyoming are few and far between.

MIke Sherck
10-Jun-2008, 06:29
I'll be leaving los angeles in less than two weeks for home (Cross Village, Michigan)

Heading up to Bill's place for the APUG gathering?

Mike

vinny
10-Jun-2008, 07:32
I will check out Flaming Gorge, sounds cool.
Yes Mike, Bill's party! My folks live about 3 minutes from his place.

MIke Sherck
10-Jun-2008, 08:47
I will check out Flaming Gorge, sounds cool.
Yes Mike, Bill's party! My folks live about 3 minutes from his place.

Fabulous, see you there! I'm the old bald fart with some sort of hat. Usually a green floppy thing but I'm going to Arizona next week and maybe will pick up something a little nicer.

Mike

Jim Thompson
10-Jun-2008, 09:03
Vinny,

I just returned from the Foto 3 conference in Colorado, traveling along I-80 both ways. Most of the way thru Nebraska, I spent on Hwy 30, which pretty much paralles the interstate, but takes you thru the little settlements and towns with lots of interesting subjects. It was one of the most rewarding road trips I have taken in a long time. There were numerous grain storage facilities, many abandoned buildings, and vehicles all right by the roadside. As a plus the railroad also takes that same rout, and if your a bit patient,you can also include a Union Pacific freight in your landscape, they seem to run every few minutes along the two or more tracks the pretty much follow the Hwy. One spot I found especially intresting were a couple of buildings in Roscoe Ne, just the right amount of decay along with some climbing vines, will be very interested to see if I captured what I saw in the ground glass.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Jim

Eric Woodbury
10-Jun-2008, 09:07
Right on the interstate in southern Utah is Zion. It is the upper part and is very pretty. Arches in northern Utah is a favorite, but very busy and hot. Often forgotten, is Colorado National Monument at Grand Junction. You'll be surprised there if you've not been before. Or, just get off the interstate for all of Utah.

Take lots of water and ice. Get a loose fitting long sleeve white shirt and a big hat. Have fun.

C.S.Walters
10-Jun-2008, 09:18
Rocky Mt. National Park is a must see IMHO. Only thirty miles or so north of Boulder. In Boulder, Eldorado Canyon State Park is home to world class climbing and scenery. Oh, and there are also the Flatirons! Need a guide, pm for contact info.

Steve

vinny
10-Jun-2008, 09:35
Zion will be too hot. Rocky mtn. nat'l park is a must see. I went last year and loved it. I'll check out Eldorado Canyon though. I've got the nat'l parks covered, i'm looking for the less obvious stuff that's not on the U.S. map.

Dave Brown
10-Jun-2008, 09:58
Leadville, and the the Collegiate Peaks south of Leadville (also the Independence Pass area) is one of my favorites; it's a reasonable side trip off of I-80 in Colorado.

When you're in Boulder, be sure to drive up Boulder Canyon to the Peak to Peak highway, and check out the Indian Peaks (for the Grand Tour, take highway 6 out of Golden, continue on the Peak to Peak north to Estes Park, then return to Boulder via US 36).

Also, you'll be passing over the Mississippi between Iowa and Illinois. Just north of I-80 is Port Byron, IL and LeClaire, IA. To the south on the Iowa side is a Corps of Engineers lock and dam that could provide some interesting opportunities.

Michael Graves
10-Jun-2008, 10:10
Out in Nebraska, just past where I-78 bifurcates and heads south, there is a rather nice lake about four or five miles north of I-80. You might want to check that out.

Robbie Shymanski
10-Jun-2008, 11:18
In illinois, there are many stops along the I & M Canal which runs from La Salle to Chicago. The I & M Corridor parallels I-80. Every town along the way has an afternoon worth of shots at least. Also there are a number of state parks in the Illinois River Valley including Starved Rock that are just off 80. Easy landscapes and nature shots. Starved Rock is also home to many Bald Eagle nests.

Alan Rabe
10-Jun-2008, 13:30
Arches and Canyonlands are only 35 miles south of I-70 about 50 miles before you hit Colorado. But you could spend a life time there. Moab has a multitude of Motels and such. You might be able to plan a night there.

christopher walrath
10-Jun-2008, 16:45
Make sure to take a picture of someone crying in the big house in anticipation of yet another drubbing at the hands of the Bucks in November.

robert amsden
24-Jun-2008, 18:13
In nebraska between lincoln and omaha on north side of I80 is an old church. Never got to photograph it because no place to park tractor trailer.

Toyon
24-Jun-2008, 18:45
Unless you are a control freak, I suggest you stay off the Interstate. You might see something unexpected and serendipitous. Parallel state and federal highways will be nearly as fast.

robert amsden
25-Jun-2008, 15:46
Out in Nebraska, just past where I-78 bifurcates and heads south, there is a rather nice lake about four or five miles north of I-80. You might want to check that out.

I78 is not in nebraska,its in pa&nj. Nebraska has I80 & short section of I76 that goes to Denver. Drove truck for 11 1/2 years so I know roads.