PDA

View Full Version : Fotoman 617

EastWest
9-Jun-2008, 03:00
Hi,

Just bought a Fotoman 617 and was wondering if any users of this camera had any instant tips. I am not new to photography but I am new to large format.

Roger Hein
9-Jun-2008, 14:53
I have one of the earlier versions of the Fotoman 617. Other than winding the film tight before each exposure my only 'tip' is to carry a small penlight. When working in any situation other than broad daylight I find it difficult to read the numbers on the back of the film through the red window. Otherwise it's a great camera.

Dominique Cesari
10-Jun-2008, 09:30
Some suggestions : train operating before real shoot - calibrate the helicoidal - load/unload in dim light - don't trust the viewer for critical framing.

If you baught your camera new, it has a led to read the numbers in dim light.

Paul Droluk
10-Jun-2008, 09:50
I have one of the earlier versions of the Fotoman 617. Other than winding the film tight before each exposure my only 'tip' is to carry a small penlight. When working in any situation other than broad daylight I find it difficult to read the numbers on the back of the film through the red window. Otherwise it's a great camera.

Roger... our current MkII-L version has an internal low powered red LED, which illuminates when you open the ruby window blind... a penlight is no longer required for low light hours.

Roger Hein
10-Jun-2008, 13:20
Roger... our current MkII-L version has an internal low powered red LED, which illuminates when you open the ruby window blind... a penlight is no longer required for low light hours.

Now that's a cool feature!

EastWest
10-Jun-2008, 18:07
Hey guys, thanks for the all the replies. Paul didn't know you were on these forums too and I really appreciate the phone call yesterday to answer my query (yes this is Phil in Singapore).

Haven't had time to even load a film yet but maybe this weekend. Will definitely shoot a roll off at home first. I live on the 16th floor with views all around so it won't be a total waste either.