PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Back From Foto 3

Eric Biggerstaff
8-Jun-2008, 16:00
Just got home from Foto 3 and what fun it was.

Saw many old friends and met many new ones. A shout out to the LF Forum community including Mark Sawyer, Hugo Zang,Wayne Lambert, Chauncey Walden, Al Olsen, Phil Augustin and many more whose names escape me at the moment.

Gordon Hutchings was great and I learned much about pyro developers (he has a new formula of PMK coming out that he announced and it sounds terrific) and John Sexton gave an outstanding presentation on "Inspiration" that everyone should hear. Later, Sexton and Hutchings held a workshop together that was terrific as well. I think John may of been the highlight of the weekend, he just gave an outstanding speech.

Got to see a lot of work from well and not so well known photographers. Karen Kuhen gave a great presentation on her portrait work, she is amazing. David Stocklien was fun and terrific for three hours of cowboy photography and adverstising. I was introduced to some interesting urban landscape work by Jennifer Little, Wayne Lambert displayed his very lovely platinum prints from Mexico and Mark Sawyer showed off the quiet beauty of his still life work.

Also, was able to attend workshops on digital workflow and the new Canon cameras which are areas I do not usually pay much attention too but I am glad I did, I learned a lot!

I also met many vendors and came away with LOTS of free LF film from both Kodak and Fuji! Sweet! The vendors were great, Bostick&Sullivan were there everyday letting anyone who wanted make some platinum prints, Kodak was represented by Scott DiSabato who is a gentleman, Jim Andrecki and the crew from Midwest was there and they were terrific (only wish I had some cash!), Hugo was there with his lovely Chamonix cameras, Curt Palm had is new CompnTemp timer software up and running, HP with some printers, and hell, many many more. It was fun to say the least!

Ran up to have my portfolio reviewed by Gordon Hutchings and then John Sexton. A bigh "THANK YOU" to both of them, that was fun and I learned a lot (now back to the darkroom for some work).

I think there were about 200 - 250 folks in attendance during the conference. Lots of different styles, formats and experience from all across the country. The facilities were first rate and a big thank you to Steve and his assistant Andrea who did a terrific job.

All in all not a bad way to spend a weekend. For those of you who were there, I really enjoyed meeting as many of you as I did and I only wish I could of met more!

Kirk Keyes
8-Jun-2008, 21:51
Make sure you post this on APUG and let them know what they missed.

keeds
9-Jun-2008, 00:46
Please please please don't let this turn in to a I told you so.... It would just be great to hear what people got up to for all those people who didn't go for whatever reason.

GPS
9-Jun-2008, 01:07

Indeed, Apug is the biggest looser here. Thanks a lot for you post, Eric. Hopefully more will come from other attendants.

keeds
9-Jun-2008, 02:35
So GPS did you go? What did you get from the event?

Eric Biggerstaff
9-Jun-2008, 06:19
Kirk,

I don't belong to APUG but if someone else wants to post it for me that would be great. I agree with Keeds, I didn't post this to be an "I told you so" thread or to open up the bashing doors, just wanted to post my experience and say thanks to the many new friends that I made this past weekend.

clay harmon
9-Jun-2008, 06:56
I also attended Foto 3. And I must say I was underwhelmed. For the price that was charged for this conference, the number of really relevant talks was minimal. I agree with you that Sexton, Hutchings and Kuehn are excellent and motivating speakers, and I liked their presentations. I did informal head counts in the presentations, and the best attended talks had around 60-75 people in attendance. And of course, the conference guide easily reached the required number of misspellings.

My overall impression was that it was like a small APIS conference sans the presentation quality.

The presentation quality was quite uneven, with a few of the presentations being excellent resources of information, while others were disorganized and messy. I suppose this would be expected in any conference of this sort.

The trade show really was disheartening to me. The vendors showed up, but I never saw more than a dozen or two people in the area at any one time. I hope that Kodak et al don't take this as any barometer about the health of film based photography. It was great to see Hugo (chamonix) and Bruce(photobackpacker, RPT) there with their new products. Bruce, in particular has a real winner with his new backpack system. I encourage anybody needing a comfortable LF-carrying backpack to check out his system.

Was it worth it? Not in my opinion. At the pre-registration price level, I could buy a lot of film and gas. I am glad some liked it. But for me, is no way I will waste my money on another one.

Just my two cents.

keeds
9-Jun-2008, 07:45
Thanks Eric and Clay for your comments on Foto3. I would like to have gone, but (me) being in the UK made it rather expensive. I certainly do hope that vendors such as Kodak and Fuji don't take it as any guide to the level of interest in film and LF.

Eric Biggerstaff
9-Jun-2008, 08:16
Keeds,

Wish you could of been there as well.

I understand where Clay is coming from, I counted a little over 200 at the Sexton speech and in my largest presentation there were around 60 and the smallest there were around 25. So, some larger and some smaller. By and large, the presentations I went to were well organized but I think the panel discussions could of been a bit better organized by the speakers.

I too would of liked to have seen more people, but to be honest the price of gas and the general state of the economy means many familes are setting different priorities this year so I didn't expect a huge turnout. In fact, had my friend Chauncey Walden not taken his RV up there I would not of been able to afford to go this year, and I live in Denver!

I am pretty much "glass half full" sort of person, so I enjoyed the time and getting to know several people.

jetcode
9-Jun-2008, 08:43
to be honest trade shows bore me and though this show would likely be of interest it is not worth the expense in my opinion, that is, the money is better spent on essentials

sanking
9-Jun-2008, 08:56
[QUOTE=Eric Biggerstaff;357232]
I too would of liked to have seen more people, but to be honest the price of gas and the general state of the economy means many familes are setting different priorities this year so I didn't expect a huge turnout. In fact, had my friend Chauncey Walden not taken his RV up there I would not of been able to afford to go this year, and I live in Denver!

QUOTE]

I think you are right about the impact of the price of gas on this type of activity, especially for those who are more than one day drive away. Over the past several years I have made several extensive trips out west where I would up driving more than 10,000 miles over the course of 6-8 weeks. The first time I did this the price of gas was just over a dollar a gallon and the total cost of gas for the trip was less than $500. To repeat such a trip now would cost well over $2000 just in gas.
And things are not much better by air. Prices are up and many airlines are dropping routes.

Sandy King

Mark Sawyer
9-Jun-2008, 08:57
I'm still here at the hotel where foto3 was held, using the computer in the business center as my flight doesn't leave til this evening.

I suppose everyone will have their own experience at every event, and mine here was really positive. Some presentations were wonderful, some were a little clumsy as the speakers were nervous, but I can forgive that. John Sexton's keynote address was one of the better presentations on any aspect of serious photography that I've heard.

The trade show was a bit sparse, but I think that's the nature of the photography world today, unless you want a commercial event concentrating on technology, which is, let's face it, where the money is. Still, there was some great stuff going on there; Bostick & Sullivan had a booth and were making platinum prints every time I walked by, a sort of mini-workshop. A few people who were bright enough to bring along their own negatives went through the whole process and went home with several nice platinum prints of their own images. And it was great meeting and talking with Hugo and getting my grubby fingerprints all over his new Chamonix cameras. There were some new Canhams there too, and Midwest Photo had quite a selection of cameras and lenses, some at pretty strong discounts. And it was nice to hear from the fellow who owns Ries Tripods at his booth that my beat up old 1930's Model A is still covered under factory warranty! (Only problem is, I can't break it, no matter how many times I've tried...)

I had a really good half-hour portfolio review with Gordon Hutchings, very positive but with some good critical and technical insights. His presentations were all quite good too.

I had my doubts about the "Future of Film" panel discussion with the reps from Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji, but it was really pretty good, reassuring us in some areas, letting us know other areas were in trouble and why, and addressing some of their concerns (like grey market film).

But the best part came after the official events were over, and we'd just go out for dinner as a group or hang around the hotel bar swapping stories. Eric, Phil, Terry, Jim , Chauncy, Wayne, Diane, who else am I forgetting? It was good to just spend some time in person with a few of the people I've met and talked with here on the forum. And every night, John Sexton and his wife Anne would drop by the hotel bar and just chat informally for an hour or two with whatever little group was there.

So I'd have to say it was a good conference for me.

Rick Russell
9-Jun-2008, 09:37
On balance I thought Foto 3 was good, not great. My frame of reference in part is the fact that I attended the 2006 conference in Rockford, Ill.

It appeared the attendance over the weekend was less than two years ago. I do not wish to speculate as to the reasons why. Although I do not personally know many other large format photographers attended, I did sense that a number of folks who attended two years ago were not present this year. Frankly, this years conference did seem to lack some vibrance, as compared with that of two years ago; however, that may certainly be my own subjective sense. For example, I do recall having a great dinner with about ten other people in Rockford one night, most of whom I had not met until that moment. It seemed this weekend that the energy for a large spontaneous outing for dinner just wasn't there.

I'm a big proponent of the Large Format Conference. Just having the opportunity to interact with other large format photographers, and to attend seminars on large format photography is enough to justify my attendance. Visiting the Fuji and Kodak booths and coming away with free film also didn't hurt.

My plan of action for next years conference is then quite easy: I introduced myself to Steve Simmons, and offered to volunteer my assistance in organizing next years conference. I have no preconceived ideas at this point what, if anything, I can do to be of assistance, but I am willing to invest a part of myself to ensure that this very worthwhile conference gets better and better.

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Howard Tanger
9-Jun-2008, 09:50
I had my doubts about the "Future of Film" panel discussion with the reps from Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji, but it was really pretty good, reassuring us in some areas, letting us know other areas were in trouble and why, and addressing some of their concerns (like grey market film)...

Hi Mark: Could you possibly expand on the above info? This would be greatly appreciated. TIA Howard

Mark Sawyer
9-Jun-2008, 10:39
Hi Mark: Could you possibly expand on the above info? This would be greatly appreciated. TIA Howard

Just a few things off the top of my head...

Kodak Readyloads will be gone by the end of the year. They've given good notice so those who really depend on them can stock up. B/W films have a long life in the freezer, and one consideration if you're going that route is to buy an older freezer, as modern frost-free models have a defrost-cycle built in that may not be good for the film. (My own observation, fwiw, is that new freezers are much more energy efficient, so it may be worthwhile to buy one and have that cycle disconnected.) Readyload film is made by Kodak, but the Readyload packaging was subbed out, and was no longer economically viable, so it's just gone, period.

BTW, the Kodak rep said the photochemicals are still doing very well economically, and take much less overhead to produce, so those should be safe. He also said Kodak's standard sheet films should be around for years to come, (but then, in my mind, who knows...)

Ilford has no plans for a similar packaging of its films. And they aren't picking up on any of the discontinued Polaroid products. Their film and paper lines are doing well, and they're coating paper for Bergger under contract as well.

Fuji has some instant film products, but won't be introducing any replacements for the old Polaroid. It will continue with its Quickloads, so those may be an alternative for the loss of the Readyloads, but it won't be expanding the line.

There was a good discussion on a ressurgeance in interest in the darkroom among the younger crowd, and how some colleges that closed their darkrooms experienced quite a backlash and are re-opening some of them, and that when fine arts students consider which program to attend, whether there is an analog component is a big consideration with quite a few of them.

And all three reps said when the last film is made, it will be theirs. (Personally, I think if and when they go, there will still be a few little European film manufacturers celebrating their departure.)

There was quite a bit of discussion on other areas, too much for my head to hold it all in. But those are the things that caught my interest.

roteague
9-Jun-2008, 12:01
I think you are right about the impact of the price of gas on this type of activity, especially for those who are more than one day drive away.
Sandy King

You are right, of course. I had intended to go, I signed up and paid the event fee. However, since I'm currently between contracts (no job) at the moment, and the airlines charging ~$700 round trip from Hawaii to LA (not including that Hawaiian Airlines adds a $200 fuel surcharge on top of this), really meant that I was just unable to make it. I did have a friend call me last night from there and he really enjoyed it.

Hugo Zhang
9-Jun-2008, 15:13
I have just got back from foto3. The nicest thing for me is to see many smiling faces whose names were only familiar to me here. I have also met some new people. I didn't have time to go to different workshop, but I really enjoyed the keynote speaker presentation. The highlight for me at the conference was to meet and chat with Dick Phillips, such a wonderful gentleman who gave Chamonix people some very constructive ideas after spending his time playing with cameras borrowing from his ideas.

I have talked with a few trade show people and they were surprised and a little dismayed by the low number of participants. I guess the high gas price playing a role here.

Don Hutton
9-Jun-2008, 15:46
Anyone meet Bob Alden while they were there? Easy to spot because he has a Steve Simmon's disguise with a long Pinnochio style nose.

Bill_1856
9-Jun-2008, 15:51

I don't understand what you're referring to. Could you explain it, please?

David Luttmann
9-Jun-2008, 15:54
Anyone meet Bob Alden while they were there? Easy to spot because he has a Steve Simmon's disguise with a long Pinnochio style nose.

One down, one to go......:D

steve simmons
9-Jun-2008, 16:38
With regards to foto3 the program was terrific. We had 200+ at John Sexton's lecture and 125+ at David Stoecklein's even though it was the night before the conference started. To have secured two such wonderful speakers was very fortunate and the highlight of the program for many attendees. Karen Kuehn was another speaker who got raves. Her portraits, not all large format, are terrific. She regularly works for a variety of nationally known publications.

One of the challenges with such an activity as foto3 is to have the seminars to attract the people but not to keep them so busy they stay away from the trade show. I may have errored a little on keeping them too busy with seminars. Sexton's and Hutchings' seminar on the Art and Craft of Traditional Black and White ran 30 minutes over the alloted time and had people lined up for another 30 minutes to get the handouts from both speakers. A compliment to them and to the program.

Some of the exhibitors said they did better than last year and others did not do so well. However, even those who were disappointed asked about next year and made suggestions.

I appreciate all who attended, as attendees and exhibitors, and will be happy to hear constructive comments.

steve simmons

jetcode
9-Jun-2008, 17:16
The highlight for me at the conference was to meet and chat with Dick Phillips, such a wonderful gentleman who gave Chamonix people some very constructive ideas after spending his time playing with cameras borrowing from his ideas.

One of my former employers (company A) just settled a major lawsuit for borrowing ideas or rather die-casts from company C without knowing it. The original owners were wiped out. Company C, a long time competitor, couldn't wait to take down industry behemoth company A. Meanwhile company B whom I worked for briefly who were acquiring trade secrets from an insider working at company A were consumed in a lawsuit by company A. According to an employee at company B at the time I was working there ... "there's a lot of whoring going on" ... according to one owner at company A ... "name" is lucky to have both kneecaps ... and so the story goes in the competitive corporate world ...

Isn't sharing amongst friends wonderful?

I would count yourself blessed that Mr Phillips is truly the gentlemen he is ... he is the last of a breed that may never surface in business ever again ...

windpointphoto
9-Jun-2008, 18:29
One of my former employers (company A) just settled a major lawsuit for borrowing ideas or rather die-casts from company C without knowing it. The original owners were wiped out. Company C, a long time competitor, couldn't wait to take down industry behemoth company A. Meanwhile company B whom I worked for briefly who were acquiring trade secrets from an insider working at company A were consumed in a lawsuit by company A. According to an employee at company B at the time I was working there ... "there's a lot of whoring going on" ... according to one owner at company A ... "name" is lucky to have both kneecaps ... and so the story goes in the competitive corporate world ...

Isn't sharing amongst friends wonderful?

I would count yourself blessed that Mr Phillips is truly the gentlemen he is ... he is the last of a breed that may never surface in business ever again ...

Joe, What are you saying. It went over my head.

clay harmon
9-Jun-2008, 18:45
I think he is saying that Dick Phillips is a class act. He could be raising a ruckus over the use of many of his original ideas in the Chamonix camera line. But I gather he is flattered and happy that there is still such enthusiasm for big cameras, and happy that they are embracing and extending his ideas into formats he just never had time to make himself. Am I close?

Joe, What are you saying. It went over my head.

Alex Hawley
9-Jun-2008, 22:21
Just got home from Foto 3 and what fun it was.

I was there and had a good time. Eric, didn't meet you but got to meet Clay, Hugo, and Wayne.

Got excellent tips from Gary Sampson and Jennifer Little during the portfolio reviews. The free film from Kodak and Fuji were offers I couldn't refuse. Thanks to Scott DiSabatto and Kayce Baker.

Kirk Keyes
9-Jun-2008, 22:39
I don't understand what you're referring to. Could you explain it, please?

I meant what I typed. I think there are a lot of people at APUG that would have enjoyed a show like Foto3, and it would be good to post a review like this one there as well.

Ralph Barker
10-Jun-2008, 06:17
Reposting comments from one forum to another generally isn't a good idea, unless done by the OP, assuming he/she is a member of both groups. Considering the back-story, doing so in this case is probably even less desirable.

onnect17
10-Jun-2008, 07:30
[QUOTE=Eric Biggerstaff;357232]

QUOTE]

I think you are right about the impact of the price of gas on this type of activity, especially for those who are more than one day drive away. Over the past several years I have made several extensive trips out west where I would up driving more than 10,000 miles over the course of 6-8 weeks. The first time I did this the price of gas was just over a dollar a gallon and the total cost of gas for the trip was less than $500. To repeat such a trip now would cost well over $2000 just in gas.
And things are not much better by air. Prices are up and many airlines are dropping routes.

Sandy King

Guys,

In my case, the gas was not a factor. I drive a Yaris. :)
Traveling from Boston, I did search for airfare and hotel six months ago and it was around $600. But the price of the exhibit at $112 ? NOT WAY JOSE!!!! :(

No offense intended (just feedback). Whoever organized foto3 helped (intended or not) to limit not only the amount of participants, specially amateurs like me who could had learn a lot during the event, also the current and future consumer base in an environment with all the film manufacturers cutting production. Did the word Polaroid ring a bell?
Just my 2 cents.

Armando.

al olson
10-Jun-2008, 10:25
I have to echo Eric's and Mark's comments regarding Foto3. There were some sessions that were a little soft but there were others that were great ala David Shoeklein, Gordon Hutchings, John Sexton, Dick Phillips, and the Future of Film with Scott DiSabatto (Kodak), Kayce Baker (Fuji), and Michael Bain (Harmon Technology).

I was happy to get a chance to handle a Chamonix. They are very tempting. Hugo has announced that the orders for July/August delivery are filled so my bank account is safe for a few more months. However, my Technika is getting awfully heavy ...

The networking was great and I met many of the same people that Eric and Mark mentioned. Had dinner with Warren Clark, Brad Vogel, Dick Phillips, Jim Andrecki, and the folks from Arca-Swiss. Got my Microtek i800 problem solved with Parker Plaisted. Learned about Bostick&Sullivan's new Pt/Pd process that I will be trying later as well as Gordon's new PMK. This was a wonderful opportunity to meet and compare notes and stories with other large format photographers.

D. Bryant
10-Jun-2008, 10:50
[QUOTE=sanking;357252]

Guys,

In my case, the gas was not a factor. I drive a Yaris. :)
Traveling from Boston, I did search for airfare and hotel six months ago and it was around $600. But the price of the exhibit at $112 ? NOT WAY JOSE!!!! :(

No offense intended (just feedback). Whoever organized foto3 helped (intended or not) to limit not only the amount of participants, specially amateurs like me who could had learn a lot during the event, also the current and future consumer base in an environment with all the film manufacturers cutting production. Did the word Polaroid ring a bell?
Just my 2 cents.

Armando.
Armando,

With all due respect $112 for an event like this is very reasonable. Compare the cost of the recent f295 conference at $150 or APIS at the same amount and Foto3 comes up very affordable.

Don Bryant

D. Bryant
10-Jun-2008, 10:52
Learned about Bostick&Sullivan's new Pt/Pd process

What new Pt/Pd process?

Thanks,

Don

al olson
10-Jun-2008, 11:46
Actually this process has been out for a while. Wayne Lambert had work that used this Pt/Pd and I believe that Mark Sawyer's prints were also from this process.

The Pt/Pd kit sells for about $219 (I lost my brochure so this is from memory) and processes 35 8x10 prints. The solutions are hand-coated (very small amount) on fiber paper and allowed to dry. Then a contact print is made by exposing the paper to UV (say for 7 to 20 minutes depending on the negative). The process is carried out with the lights on.

Following the UV exposure the paper is developed (I think I heard Ferric Oxylate mentioned but I cannot explain the process). There are 3 baths and the paper is allowed to air dry. The tonality is very striking. I know that Photographer's Formulary also has Pt kits but I think they are more expensive for the number of prints... now I will have to go and compare.

I just did a search. You can check this out further at:
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/product.php?productid=854&cat=49&page=1

D. Bryant
10-Jun-2008, 11:58
Actually this process has been out for a while. Wayne Lambert had work that used this Pt/Pd and I believe that Mark Sawyer's prints were also from this process.

The Pt/Pd kit sells for about $219 (I lost my brochure so this is from memory) and processes 35 8x10 prints. The solutions are hand-coated (very small amount) on fiber paper and allowed to dry. Then a contact print is made by exposing the paper to UV (say for 7 to 20 minutes depending on the negative). The process is carried out with the lights on.

Following the UV exposure the paper is developed (I think I heard Ferric Oxylate mentioned but I cannot explain the process). There are 3 baths and the paper is allowed to air dry. The tonality is very striking. I know that Photographer's Formulary also has Pt kits but I think they are more expensive for the number of prints... now I will have to go and compare.

I just did a search. You can check this out further at:
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/product.php?productid=854&cat=49&page=1

This isn't a new process! It's been around for a while!:)

Don Bryant

Louie Powell
10-Jun-2008, 12:13
This isn't a new process! It's been around for a while!:)

Don Bryant

Yeah - like more than a century!

Chauncey Walden
10-Jun-2008, 13:31
What Dana Sullivan was demonstrating was the use of sodium chloroplantinate as a contrast control. This has only been around a few years, I believe, and it works superbly!

steve simmons
10-Jun-2008, 13:46
What Dana Sullivan was demonstrating was the use of sodium chloroplantinate as a contrast control. This has only been around a few years, I believe, and it works superbly!

Yes, View Camera has an article in progress about this, probably in our Sept/Oct issue.

steve simmons

davidb
10-Jun-2008, 13:58
Was Kevin Sullivan there?

Don Hutton
10-Jun-2008, 13:58
It's been around for a good while. Dick Arentz has had a webpage up on using Na2 for 5 years. It really is not new by any stretch of the imagination. Dick's updated book (2nd edition) is an excellent resource for making Palladium prints using the process - and it is very simple.

Wayne Lambert
10-Jun-2008, 14:34
Well, I must have hit a wrong button. No digital expert here. I'll try it again. Years ago I saw some platinum prints by Laura Gilpin (made in the 1920s-30s, I believe.) I was struck by their beauty and tactile quality. Shortly thereafter I began to work in 8x10 but never tried platinum until 2004 when I decided I had better do it or forget about it. I signed up for Dick Arentz's 1 week course at Photographer's Formulary and found the process easier than I had imagined. You need a bit of special equipment, the main expensive items being a densitometer and a UV light box, but other than that most darkroom workers probably have what they need. I'm using palladium metal and NA2 contrast agent, which as noted above, is fairly new. I haven't had any major problems. It's a beautiful process and I highly recommend it---and Dick's course.

re foto 3: I thought it was a good meeting---covered a lot of topics---and meeting and visiting with Forum folks and others made it especially worthwhile.

Jim Graves
10-Jun-2008, 20:33
I am also just back from Foto3 ... attended a pre-conference workshop (Gordon Hutching's darkroom), both evening speakers, as many sessions as I could fit in (and when they say 60 was max at any of the sessions ... there were at least 3 sessions running simultaneously all weekend), the Trade Show as much as possible, and had a great time!!

I'm relatively new to all this (2 1/2 years) ... and enjoyed the scope of subjects offered (quality varied as at any conference.)

Met and shared meals and drinks with people from all over the country.

I'm surprised at the previous comment claiming the trade show was weak ... I counted 29 booths including Kodak, Fuji, Canon, HP, Arca Swiss, Midwest, Chamonix, Microtek, Lee Filters, Ries, Photo Backpacker, Bostic & Sullivan, and many others.

Came home with 1) free film, 2) free paper, 3) 4 platinum/palladium prints from my own 4x5 negatives ... that I made ... thanks to Bostic and Sullivan ... and all for FREE, 4) A FREE drum scan from my own 4x5 negative (and a full demonstration of the digital setup and control of the scan) from Eiger Studios in Petaluma, CA (now I know why they charge what they charge!), 5) some misc. items from other vendors at special show prices (without any shipping charges) ... and, 6) some GREAT conversations with people from all over the country who are interested in the same thing I am ... Priceless!!! Oh yeah, and also talked Mark Sawyer out of one of his original prints that appeared in View Camera Magazine in exchange for some equipment for his high school students.

I'm only waiting to hear when the next conference is scheduled ... I'll be there for sure!

D. Bryant
11-Jun-2008, 05:41
re foto 3: I thought it was a good meeting---covered a lot of topics---and meeting and visiting with Forum folks and others made it especially worthwhile.

Long drive for you? :)

Don Bryant

clay harmon
11-Jun-2008, 06:10
If you are referring to my comment, I was intending to convey that the number of attendees browsing at the trade show seemed pretty small compared to previous experiences. There were a number of vendors. They just weren't getting a whole lot of attention.

I'm surprised at the previous comment claiming the trade show was weak ... I counted 29 booths including Kodak, Fuji, Canon, HP, Arca Swiss, Midwest, Chamonix, Microtek, Lee Filters, Ries, Photo Backpacker, Bostic & Sullivan, and many others.
!

steve simmons
11-Jun-2008, 06:34
Some of the venders did better than last year and all asked about next year.

It is always a juggling game to plan as many seminars as possible yet leave time for the trade show. From 9-5 on Sat and Sunday and 1-5 on Friday we had 2 and 3 seminars running all the time.

steve simmons

D. Bryant
11-Jun-2008, 07:11
Some of the venders did better than last year and all asked about next year.

It is always a juggling game to plan as many seminars as possible yet leave time for the trade show. From 9-5 on Sat and Sunday and 1-5 on Friday we had 2 and 3 seminars running all the time.

steve simmons

So how about a VC conference in the south eastern US next time Steve? Preferably in early or middle spring time.

steve simmons
11-Jun-2008, 07:14
Maybe's for next year

Monterey
Albuquerque/Santa Fe - this would be in collaboration with PhotoArts Santa Fe and would be in July

San Francisco

????????????????

With gas prices as they are and will be, it may become sensible to keep it near a population center

steve simmons

Bill_1856
11-Jun-2008, 07:16
Laura Gilpin virtually alone kept platinum printing alive in the US.
As a photographer, she deserves more attention.

D. Bryant
11-Jun-2008, 07:51
Maybe's for next year

Monterey
Albuquerque/Santa Fe - this would be in collaboration with PhotoArts Santa Fe and would be in July

San Francisco

????????????????

With gas prices as they are and will be, it may become sensible to keep it near a population center

steve simmons
Wouldn't that compete with APIS?

Don Bryant

steve simmons
11-Jun-2008, 07:53

It might be combined with APIS. It was Melanie Bostick who asked me to meet with her and others in Santa Fe to discuss possibilities.

steve

clay harmon
11-Jun-2008, 08:03
Doing something right after or before APIS might be a very good thing. I know quite a few people who regularly attend APIS who did not make it to Ft Collins.

It might be combined with APIS. It was Melanie Bostick who asked me to meet with her and others in Santa Fe to discuss possibilities.

steve

Denise Fuson
11-Jun-2008, 12:44
I, too, enjoyed Foto3 (my first)--in particular, John Sexton's keynote was excellent.

I attended a total of six seminars, all of which were enjoyable. In particular, Sexton/Hutchings' The Art and Craft of BW, Hutchings/Phillips' Getting Started in LF and John Latimer's Digital Darkroom were just outstanding presentations.

Between lectures I was able to walk through the trade show. There was a nice representation and I always had to stand in line to speak with the vendors. So, it seemed well attended.

The highlight for me was a portfolio review with John Sexton and Anne Larsen. A very positive experience for this newbie to LF. Gently delivered, constructive criticism is an art in itself! Thank you, John and Anne.

I would have liked for all of the presenters to have handouts or have this available pre- or post conference (as online downloads?).

I would love to see next year's event in the Bay Area, but would also attend if it were in Santa Fe. Ever any thought to a Death Valley venue?

Denise Fuson
Oakland, CA

Blacky Dalton
12-Jun-2008, 08:43
Maybe's for next year

Monterey

San Francisco

????????????????

steve simmons

Mr. Simmons,

If I may, I would like to put forth a few ideas. First let me offer my praise of you and View Camera Magazine for your support of the photographic community. Though I was unable to attend this years conference, I have heard about it and dearly wish I could have been there. Having said all that, here are a few ideas from my point of view;

* Get back to basics. Concentrate on a simple, direct photographic conference.

* Hold the conference locally to you so that you have close access to the facilities. If this means having the event in Albuquerque or Santa Fe every year, then fine. Traveling around the country and hosting distant events is expensive and time consuming.

* Find a local facility that is a nice, clean facility with plenty of room. No need to spend the money on a five star hotel. You will also save your participants money on their lodging, and in theory, attract more people.

* In short, keep it simple. Do not spread yourself and your resources too thin.

* Bring in well known speakers like John Sexton this year.

* Present a diverse number of topics and have as large a trade show as possible. Get back to basics as mentioned above and make it an event that appeals to as many as possible.

Just a few ideas from my point of view.

Thank you for your time,

B. Dalton

steve simmons
13-Jun-2008, 11:06
Here are some thoughts for 09

San Francisco - what time of year?

Monterey - what time of year

Albuquerque/Santa Fe this would be in July

thanks

steve simmons

Blacky Dalton
13-Jun-2008, 11:20

thanks

steve simmons

Albuquerque/Santa Fe in July is my first choice, centrally located, easy to get to and an art center for sure

Monterey, difficult to get to and expensive

San Francisco, not centrally located and extremely expensive

B. Dalton

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Jun-2008, 11:21
I like Santa Fe.

Can be a tad hot in the summer, but hey, there is SO much to do, it is an art center, lots of great places to photograph, etc, etc,

Alex Hawley
13-Jun-2008, 11:22
I could go for Albuquerque/Santa Fe, but not anywhere in California. Too expensive.

D. Bryant
13-Jun-2008, 12:21

thanks

steve simmons
Santa Fe in July is fine with me. ABQ is okay but I would prefer Santa Fe at St. Johns College.

Don Bryant

Mark Sawyer
13-Jun-2008, 14:30
I suspect San Francisco might be prohibitively expensive for a good host hotel, though I could be wrong...

Consider Tucson some year too... the Center for Creative Photography has amazing and very accessible archives, and the University of Arizona has large, well-equipped darkroom facilities nearby that *might* be made available. I wouldn't recommend summer, (although the monsoons could be spectacular!)

davidb
13-Jun-2008, 15:47
I think ABQ or Santa Fe a few days after APIS would be terrific.

domenico Foschi
13-Jun-2008, 23:35
San Francisco! No questions about it.

Scott Davis
14-Jun-2008, 05:47
San Francisco is a terrific location for something like this - Actually, there are decent convention hotels that do not cost a mint per night, the city itself is gorgeous, and if you don't like urban photography, drive five miles and you've got amazing seascapes and landscapes. The Cathedral Hill hotel in San Francisco has rooms for around $110 a night (less for a convention rate) and conference rooms, is centrally located, and even has on-site parking. If their convention facilities are inadequate, just up the street the Unitarian Universalist church has a very large education center which they rent out (I have attended at least two separate conferences held there).

Hugo Zhang
14-Jun-2008, 06:41
Aother vote for San Francisco!

Merg Ross
14-Jun-2008, 07:15
If San Francisco is selected, spring and early fall are good weather months with fewer tourists and less pressure on accomodations. The weak dollar has made San Francisco and the Bay Area an even more attractive destination for those outside the US.

The Oakland Airport is less hassle than SFO and has BART service to San Francisco. There is also an Amtrak station in Oakland.

D. Bryant
14-Jun-2008, 08:33
San Francisco is a terrific location for something like this - Actually, there are decent convention hotels that do not cost a mint per night, the city itself is gorgeous, and if you don't like urban photography, drive five miles and you've got amazing seascapes and landscapes. The Cathedral Hill hotel in San Francisco has rooms for around $110 a night (less for a convention rate) and conference rooms, is centrally located, and even has on-site parking. If their convention facilities are inadequate, just up the street the Unitarian Universalist church has a very large education center which they rent out (I have attended at least two separate conferences held there).

Frisco might be a great location. There is a rental darkroom there that supports wet plate. Perhaps a good location for a wet plate workshop by Kerik.

Don Bryant

steve simmons
15-Jun-2008, 11:34
Where is the rental darkroom? This is important becasue we like to do pre-conference wokrshoips.

Thanks for the tips about The City (they hate being called frisco). We will check them out. There is also the Ft. Mason center. They have space for the trade show but I am not sure about the smaller seminar rooms.

steve simmons

D. Bryant
15-Jun-2008, 11:36
Where is the rental darkroom? This is important becasue we like to do pre-conference wokrshoips.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art105.html

Don Bryant

steve simmons
15-Jun-2008, 11:46
Thanks. I will contact him and this might make a good story as well.

steve simmons

Terry Hayden
16-Jun-2008, 22:03
I took a rather circuitous route back to central Ca. from Ft. Collins.

Got snowed on in the Grand Tetons, spent a number of days in s. Utah,
went through Death Valley ( 110 degrees at badwater - actually saw
a guy jogging there...) hit the Alabama Hills and then over Tioga to
home.

The conference was a worthwhile venture. I was a bit concerned about
it because of the late breaking drama beforehand, but it all went pretty
darn well.

The highlight for me ( while in Ft. Collins ) was meeting all of the other photographers and talking "shop" in the lounge in the evenings. There are
precious few times that I can delve into these subjects in my more
routine life.

Film choices are narrowing - so we need to keep our skills sharper and
take advantage of what is available now. The three film vendors that were
there were quite explicit in their corporate outlook on supply and demand.
I appreciated the candor, even if I didn't like the message.

Being in the great central valley of California, S.F. or Monterey are just
fine with me for next year. The only down side is that it won't be as much
of an excuse for a major road trip.

Thanks to all that I met there for being so open and sharing - it's a great
community.

Later,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

jetcode
17-Jun-2008, 23:57

Thanks for the tips about The City (they hate being called frisco). We will check them out. There is also the Ft. Mason center. They have space for the trade show but I am not sure about the smaller seminar rooms.

steve simmons

Fort Mason has tons of space ... I know for a fact you could have your show there and have rooms for seminars, lots of space, and SF is a virtual wonderland of subjects with the addition of West Marin within an hour to the North, Pacifica and the Peninsula to the South, and Mare Island and the East Bay ...

steve simmons
18-Jun-2008, 05:35
Ft. Mason does not have the small breakout rooms, at least as far as I can tell. The Cathedral hotel's rooms are much more expensive than what was described in a post a couple of days ago. However, we are working on these ideas.

thanks
steve

Scott Davis
18-Jun-2008, 07:17
Ft. Mason does not have the small breakout rooms, at least as far as I can tell. The Cathedral hotel's rooms are much more expensive than what was described in a post a couple of days ago. However, we are working on these ideas.

thanks
steve

Steve- The room rate I quoted was gotten off of Expedia.com . And it was merely one example of a good-sized hotel with conference facilities. There are many hotels in that same neighborhood on Van Ness that range from less to more expensive. Using this July 10-14 as a proxy, I got the following room rates:

http://www.expedia.com/Hotels?c=8974128e-c6b5-488b-b0c7-b7dd9baa5373&

an average of $137 a night.

If you change the dates to the week of July 7-11, you get $96.95 a night.

http://www.expedia.com/Hotels?c=9be9b5e1-5f46-4dbf-b81f-77e54b762dee&

So if they start quoting higher prices at you, toss that back in their face and tell them to give you a date range that rooms can be had in those price ranges.

steve simmons
18-Jun-2008, 07:20
Thanks. I have copied your note and sent it on to my office manager.

Summers can be cool and foggy in The City. Any thoughts about time of the year, does school being in or out make any difference?

steve

Merg Ross
18-Jun-2008, 08:33
Steve, what size rooms do you need? Building C at Fort Mason has a number of different sized rooms.

Best weather and fewer tourists would be in the spring or fall. You are correct, the summer can be foggy and cold in The City.

Many areas have been suggested to photograph, I would add Portrero Point along the southern waterfront.

For those flying, Southwest has low fares into Oakland.

Robert Brummitt
18-Jun-2008, 08:40
I agree with the idea of SF for the next site. Lots of hotels, lots of space, lots of attractions. Can be pricy because it is SF but there are ways of beating high costs.
You should contact Foothill Community College in Los Altos. They had a great darkroom. Ansel Adams help supported it during his day. Some of his assistants and friends taught there as well.

steve simmons
18-Jun-2008, 09:45
We are checking out all of your suggestions.

thanks

steve simmons

jetcode
18-Jun-2008, 09:57

thanks
steve

Fort Mason is a series of buildings to the east and west with the main show building to the north, the west building has many rooms of varying sizes on several levels, some are rented full time some are available.

http://www.fortmason.org/venuerental/index.shtml

jetcode
18-Jun-2008, 10:21
Thanks. I have copied your note and sent it on to my office manager.

Summers can be cool and foggy in The City. Any thoughts about time of the year, does school being in or out make any difference?

steve

Fort Mason is in a sun belt meaning that when the sunset district is socked in the fog often breaks just east of GG park, that is, much of the city east of the ocean is sunny.

However fog will sometimes come in and take over the entire bay area though that is not too frequent in summer. Fog hangs on the inversion layer at the ocean front or something to that effect.

There are many motels on Lombard and Van Ness that are in walking distance of Fort Mason.

Merg Ross
18-Jun-2008, 10:37
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco".

Mark Twain

However, Joe is correct; for the most part, weather in The City during the summer can be pleasant and sunny. Just be prepared!

jetcode
18-Jun-2008, 11:01
You should contact Foothill Community College in Los Altos. They had a great darkroom. Ansel Adams help supported it during his day. Some of his assistants and friends taught there as well.

That's where I studied photography.

roteague
18-Jun-2008, 11:02
We are checking out all of your suggestions.

thanks

steve simmons

You could always come to Hawaii. :D

jetcode
18-Jun-2008, 11:05
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco".

Mark Twain

Mark didn't dig ditches under hospitals in 30 below starting at 6am 5 days a week in the dead of a Maine winter ... my father will be happy to tell you all about it ... he talked about the clam diggers ... if you climbed out of a hole for a smoke you were replaced with a clam digger and they would stay in the hole 12 hours at a time ... ahh the legends of his day

no wonder we ended up in California

Robert Brummitt
18-Jun-2008, 11:22
That's where I studied photography.

Same here. Back in 1982-85 then was a lab assistant in 1990's. Met Ansel there once.

jetcode
18-Jun-2008, 11:35
Same here. Back in 1982-85 then was a lab assistant in 1990's. Met Ansel there once.

Did you shoot LF and work there in '96 by chance? There was a man who was shooting some absolutely stunning LF images. I bet meeting Ansel was an interesting event all to it's own.

Robert Brummitt
18-Jun-2008, 11:42
Did you shoot LF and work there in '96 by chance? There was a man who was shooting some absolutely stunning LF images. I bet meeting Ansel was an interesting event all to it's own.

Sorry. I had moved to Oregon by '95. It was great being at Foothill though, met lots of great photographers there. Ansel was the top of the heap followed by Cole and Brett Weston, Alfred Eisenstadt and having Marian Patterson and Ted Orland as instructors was fun!

Vaughn
19-Jun-2008, 21:49
I agree with the idea of SF for the next site. Lots of hotels, lots of space, lots of attractions. Can be pricy because it is SF but there are ways of beating high costs.

I also vote for a SF site.

Kate Jordahl teaches photo at Foothill -- wonderful person/teacher/photographer.

She and her husband Geir run PhotoCentral, a darkroom and teaching facility in the East Bay (Hayward)...a possible workshop location for the conference (I am giving a carbon workshop there this weekend). A little farther out of SF, but still might work.

http://www.photocentral.org/

Vaughn

jetcode
19-Jun-2008, 21:51

Kate Jordahl teaches photo at Foothill -- wonderful person/teacher/photographer.

She and her husband Geir run PhotoCentral, a darkroom and teaching facility in the East Bay (Hayward)...a possible workshop location for the conference (I am giving a carbon workshop there this weekend). A little farther out of SF, but still might work.

Vaughn

I met Kate but studied with Steve Kiser

Kirk Gittings
19-Jun-2008, 21:54
Vaughn, I love the marketing technique for your workshops. Who are you? I can't find your whole name here or on their website!

Jim Graves
19-Jun-2008, 22:21
Having spent many years on the N. Calif. coast ... the best month is September ... no question.

Vaughn
20-Jun-2008, 00:18
Vaughn, I love the marketing technique for your workshops. Who are you? I can't find your whole name here or on their website!

LOL! I had not thought my post as a marketing tool...I think the workshop is full and I should be getting back to packing up my darkroom as I am driving it down to Hayward tomorrow! I mentioned my workshop just to indicate that the facilities at PhotoCentral can support workshops. But perhaps that is not what you meant. PhotoCentral's on-line description of the workshop is a generic one, I believe the full names of the instructors are in their newsletters and updates.

I am the photographer formally (and presently) known as Vaughn...a prince of a guy if I do say so myself. Full name is Vaughn Hutchins. Not many other "Vaughns" out there so I don't worry too much about shouting my last name.

I have a couple images in Christopher James' recent edition of his book Alternative Photographic Processes. He gave me a very generous write-up...one I will have to try to live up to. I am just a photographer who worked his butt off trying to figure out the carbon process in order to make prints I was satisfied with...at a time when the carbon process was relatively unknown and unsung...and before the internet was what it now is. I did not break any new ground, though I might have re-invented a few accessories for the wheel.

I surprised some folks at the 2001 APIS in Sante Fe during the "5 prints in 5 minutes" introduction of the conference...just about no one had seen a live carbon print, and certainly none with a raised relief. Hell, I had never seen any carbon prints other than my own until that conference when I saw those of Sandy King's (a speaker at the conference and excellent carbon printer).

So since then, with the rise of the WWW, I have become known in the carbon circles because I enjoy helping others on-line. I have made most of the mistakes, so I can reconize it when others make them. I have written no books nor manuals -- there is nothing in my technique that one can't pick up in the info that is already out there. The expertise in carbon printing is growing...pretty exciting really. There are now others out there using techniques far more complex and controlled than mine, but I can show folks how to get started and to find their own path to making carbon prints.

Vaughn

PS that was a bit log-winded and a bit off topic...sorry about that.

Greg Lockrey
20-Jun-2008, 01:08
I sure would also like to see a carbon print. They seem to look good on line. Between Vaughn and Sandy discussing it they definitely have me intrigued. (Not to be off topic).

Vaughn
20-Jun-2008, 01:28
I sure would also like to see a carbon print. They seem to look good on line. Between Vaughn and Sandy discussing it they definitely have me intrigued. (Not to be off topic).

Well, if you (or anyone) happen to be passing thru Redwood Country, stop on by. I'd be happy to share a little of the gospel of carbon...

Vaughn

PS...and if Foto 4 (or whatever number) ever makes it to San Fran, I'll drive down the highway the 275 miles and participate...and bring a few carbons with me!

Greg Lockrey
20-Jun-2008, 01:46
Well, if you (or anyone) happen to be passing thru Redwood Country, stop on by. I'd be happy to share a little of the gospel of carbon...

Vaughn

PS...and if Foto 4 (or whatever number) ever makes it to San Fran, I'll drive down the highway the 275 miles and participate...and bring a few carbons with me!

Thanks, I'm in Michigan and don't see traveling out there anytime soon. :(

All the cool photography seems to be out there doesn't it.

I was thinking of buying one of Sandy's (I like the wrought iron window) but I don't have a spare $800.00. ;)

I've been collecting the necessary books on the topic though.

KEK
20-Jun-2008, 05:59
Kirk where have you been? I live in Chicago and I know who he is. He presents at a conference in your backyard and you've never heard of him ?

sanking
20-Jun-2008, 07:19
Kirk where have you been? I live in Chicago and I know who he is. He presents at a conference in your backyard and you've never heard of him ?

I am guessing this must be another Vaughn!

Sandy King

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
20-Jun-2008, 07:44

Vaughn

I went to San Francisco twice for Photo San Francisco. Both times were in mid-July. To be honest, the food, the people, the weather, the hotels... EVERYTHING was gorgeous. It was actually a bit chilly back in 2005, not so much in 2006. Almost a humid chilly if that makes sense. I stayed both times at the Marina Inn in the Marina District of SF -- absolutely BEAUTIFUL and fairly inexpensive. I don't think I paid more than $79 each night for a room. The trick is to book in advance. There were several restaurants I visited when I took the photographers who exhibited with me out to dinner.. although I never had the seafood in SF, there were MANY really good Italian places by union square. I really would love to go back to SF one day -- it's a shame Photo SF failed.

Kirk Gittings
20-Jun-2008, 07:48

Despite what you think APIS gets very little exposure beyond SF. It is a small niche conference. Most photographers even in Albuquerque, an hour away, don't know what it is unless they are involved in alternative processes. I personally have never been to APIS as I have always been in Chicago at that time teaching at the Art Institute. Maybe sometime my schedule will change so I get to it. I would love to go sometime.

clay harmon
20-Jun-2008, 09:21
The last APIS (2005) I went to had more people attending than Foto 3 this year. Simple observation.

Despite what you think APIS gets very little exposure beyond SF. It is a small niche conference. Most photographers even in Albuquerque, an hour away, don't know what it is unless they are involved in alternative processes. I personally have never been to APIS as I have always been in Chicago at that time teaching at the Art Institute. Maybe sometime my schedule will change so I get to it. I would love to go sometime.

Kirk Gittings
20-Jun-2008, 09:29
My point being that what we do is far outside the mainstream of photography. And none of these events are of such high visibility that one would know who was in them unless you were there or had a particular interest in them. Right? I mean if you Google "Alternative Processes International Symposium" you get like 9 hits.

D. Bryant
20-Jun-2008, 10:36
Despite what you think APIS gets very little exposure beyond SF.

Kirk, I have to disagree with that. APIS gets national and international participants.

Don Bryant

Kirk Gittings
20-Jun-2008, 10:41
Yes it does draw people from abroad. I know some of them, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a small niche conference and gets very little press even here. It could draw a few Martians and not change that. This discourse started because someone couldn't believe I didn't know who a participant was in 2001 when the conference was only an hour away from my home (of course I was in Chicago at that time). The plain fact is that APIS goes largely unnoticed in the larger photo community even here, because it is far outside the mainstream of photography. I'm sure it is great and I hope to be around for it sometime, but it is a small niche conference. Someone said that it was larger than Foto3, which some said had 250 participants. It would have to be considerably larger than that to be anything but a small niche conference. I've been to many small photo conferences that were ten times that size.

KEK
20-Jun-2008, 13:37
Kirk sorry to have brought any discomfort to you over my post.I was just being sarcastic.Truth is I'm not real sure I know who Vaughn is either.The reason for the sarcasm was I didn't appreciate you confronting Vaughn about his use of this site to supposedly market his workshop.This site isn't suppose to be commercial but an awful lot of people use it that way(magazines,camera manufacturers etc.)and thats allright as long as everyone is included and not confronted because they aren't as well know as some of the others.

Sorry again

Kevin

Kirk Gittings
20-Jun-2008, 13:52
The reason for the sarcasm was I didn't appreciate you confronting Vaughn about his use of this site to supposedly market his workshop.

?????? I was teasing him.

KEK
20-Jun-2008, 14:02
My bad.

I guess this means I now have to buy your books from Freestyle to make amends :)

Kirk Gittings
20-Jun-2008, 18:54
No problem on my end. Its all just words.