PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut for 1 1/2 days

Brian Gatien
8-Jun-2008, 06:05
Not a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court but a northern Canadian visiting the Nutmeg State for a day and a half next weekend (13-15 June).
I will be staying in Avon and planning to have most of Saturday and the Sunday morning for photographic excursions. My first visit and I will be picking up a new-to-me Canham 5x7.
Any suggestions for test driving it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

r.e.
8-Jun-2008, 07:57
What are you looking for in terms of subject?

For a day trip, I would drive an hour to Long Island Sound, say in the vicinity of Old Saybrook, and take it from there. There's lots to see in the area.

For example, the nearby town of Ivoryton has an old factory that at one time turned 90% of the ivory that entered the US into piano keyboards. It would make an interesting architectural subject, especially if one made prior arrangements to have the run of the place. Ivoryton is also the home of the Ivoryton Playhouse, an active summer theatre with quite an illustrious history. Inside, there are maybe 150 photographs of people who played there, including many of the great actors of the 20th century. Ask someone for a quick tour, and they'll tell you the story of Marlon Brando up on the roof in a slightly inebriated condition. The theatre has a web site at ivorytonplayhouse.org.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to take the ferry from New London to Long Island's Orient Point. If it's a nice day and you're up on deck, it's a pleasant trip. From Orient, you can go to Greenport, Shelter Island and Sag Harbor. Depending on time and mood, maybe drive over to the Hamptons and Long Island's more rugged seaward coast. Montauk, on the tip of Long Island, is worth visiting, but a bit far for a day trip. If you're interested in wine and vineyards, the Long Island wineries are a short drive from Orient. Or instead of the ferry to Long Island, you could take the ferry to Block Island.

If you are interested in the history of sailing, Mystic Seaport up the coast from New London is a temptation. However, I found the experience kind of artificial, and I wouldn't take a view camera there except by prior arrangement and outside public hours. It's probably not the best use of your time.

In mid-June, you are approaching Connecticut's hottest weather of the year. In the interior, the temperature and humidity can be quite unpleasant. The Connecticut coast and the islands are an inviting escape. The downside is that everybody knows that, and you will be there on a weekend.

R Mann
8-Jun-2008, 08:51
Old Sturbridge Village ( in Sturbridge, Mass) is another possibility - last time I was there (a few years ago) they had a tripod policy - but I would check ahead of time on what they now allow.

Almost any two lane road in Northern Conn will have lots of stone walls and old farm buildings plus there are old mill buildings in the villages.

r.e.
8-Jun-2008, 09:23
A couple of practical tips.

Given that you will be there on a summer weekend, if you are going to take one of the ferries, make sure that you reserve in advance.

If you are on a beach in Connecticut or on Long Island, especially one with multimillion dollar homes, you may wonder whether you are tresspassing. There are some places where there are signs saying that access is restricted to local residents, but I have been told that in almost all cases private ownership does not extend to the water. In any event, I've never had a problem. It's just a matter of being polite and respecting other people.

If it's a sunny day, the light anywhere you are going to be, except in the early morning and evening and in shaded areas, will be pretty harsh.

Another destination that you might consider is Hammonasset State Park, about an hour from Avon and just down the road from Old Saybrook. It's a nice park, although sometimes quite crowded, with a couple of miles of beach: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325210

All things considered, I think that I'd get an early start and head for Orient Point, spending the day meandering Long Island's North Fork, Greenport, Shelter Island and Sag Harbor.

John Sarsgard
8-Jun-2008, 12:35
If you are looking for nature, our Eastern landscapes are beautiful but quite different from the Sierras. Try Steep Rock Reservation and the Shepaug River http://pages.cthome.net/rwinkler/steeprock.htm

Google Carl Weese and see some of his work from there, including some lovely platinum prints.

John
http://www.johnsarsgard.com

r.e.
8-Jun-2008, 13:10
I don't want to be or sound alarmist, but if you go to wooded areas in Connecticut, it's a good idea to stay on well-worn paths. Ticks are a real issue, and Lyme disease is named for a Connecticut town.

John Sarsgard
8-Jun-2008, 14:48
I've lived in CT for 25 years, and been in the woods more times than my computer can count. Yes, I've had Lyme disease, once. It was cured with the standard 21 day course of antibiotics. Since then, I've taken standard precautions....insect repellent, stay out of tall grass, shower when home and take a look on the bod.

I don't want to minimize the issue, but we've learned to live with it. My secretary got it in her back yard on her wedding day while posing for photos.

Be reasonable, smile, and enjoy a wonderful and beautiful and different from the West kind of "almost wilderness."

Brian Gatien
9-Jun-2008, 03:05
Thanks for the suggestions.
My interest is in older buildings and other human-made structures, so Ivorytown seems interesting. And, of course, the "any two lane road" suggestion.
Not so much of a landscape person and it is not the fall for the colours. However, the railroad tunnel in the Steep Rock Reservation is also tempting.
A drive up Rte 7 has been suggested.
I have heard that Mystic Seaport is a bit touristy.
Brian

ASRafferty
9-Jun-2008, 04:46
Thanks for the suggestions.
My interest is in older buildings and other human-made structures

I think Hartford, and particularly the Farmington Avenue/Asylum Avenue circuit, would be well worth your time. Between the insurance company buildings (and especially the Hartford Accident and Indemnity Building -- now the Hartford Insurance Group, but the building is still there, I believe) and the Mark Twain/Harriet Beecher Stowe houses (next door to each other), to the homes and business blocks all along the way to West Hartford, with Hartford Seminary, Trinity College, and the Wadsworth Atheneum as very slight detours, you'd have a wealth of opportunities.

It's been a lot of years since I was in school there, but my bet is it's still a remarkable route.

tim810
9-Jun-2008, 05:51
There are some really cool old mills neare me in Willimantic. I have the morning off both of thoes days if you are interested I can show you a few cool places in this area. Check out my website in the abandoned structures section of my gallery. Most of thoes photo's are from Plainfield and Willimantic CT. Enjoy your trip.
Tim

climbabout
9-Jun-2008, 05:51
I live in Southwestern Connecticut and the drive on route 7 anywhere north from New Milford north to the Massachusets border is very scenic. Bulls Bridge just north of New Milford has some nice scenery, theres an antique farm tool museum with an old locomotive just near Kent - I believe it's just north of Kent - is nice as well as Kent Falls right on route 7. There's also a covered bridge I believe it's on route 4 in Cornwall. Also, there are many country routes off of route 7 that will take you through rolling hills and small farms. The ride around lake waramaug in New Preston off route 202 is pretty as well. We don't have the Grand Landscape here - but we do have plenty of places with rural charm. Have fun!
Tim
Climbabout

Brian Gatien
13-Jun-2008, 05:31
Friday morning at the airport heading eastward.
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I am going to do a counterclockwise circuit along 44 and down 7 on Saturday morning.
Sunday morning I am going to a clockwise circuit to the northeast.
The weather forecast does not look that good; I hope the rain is in the afternoon.
Tim810, pm sent.
Thanks all. Have a great weekend.
Brian