PDA

View Full Version : The good, the bad and the ugly

phaedrus
8-Jun-2008, 04:19
Hi all!

For your amusement I've written a piece about my first experiences making platinum prints. It is here (http://web.mac.com/chammann/iWeb/Mostly%20Black%26White/Platin-Prints.html).
Hints and advice on how to go on from here are always appreciated.

See you!
Christoph

Fred L
8-Jun-2008, 05:39
Interesting read. I did have a problem with the last four photos sitting in top of the text however so I couldn't read it all.

Good luck with future prints, this is something I've pondered trying as well.

Bill_1856
8-Jun-2008, 06:05
Thanks, phaedrus. Reminds me of my first couple of years learning to make Dye Transfers when I was a teenager in the '50s.
(The difference between theory and practice is called experience.)

Michael Graves
8-Jun-2008, 06:17
Nice writing. Maybe I changed my mind about doing platinum after all! And Wilhelm....the difference between theory and practice is called mistakes.

phaedrus
8-Jun-2008, 12:54
Interesting read. I did have a problem with the last four photos sitting in top of the text however so I couldn't read it all.
Sorry for that, caught that web design glitch too late. The page is changed to a blog format now, no pictures overlapping the text, although now the last steps in the process come first on the blog page. There's no substitute for real knowledge, it seems ;)

With thanks to all, Christoph

Fred L
8-Jun-2008, 20:11
Looks great phaedrus, always good to read real world acc't of this process. Is there an advantage of the glass rod vs a brush ?

phaedrus
9-Jun-2008, 04:34
Looks great phaedrus, always good to read real world acc't of this process. Is there an advantage of the glass rod vs a brush ?

Fred,

I wouldn't know, as I'm a total alternative processes noob and haven't even tried a brush. It seemed less economical to me, and that solution diappears into the paper fast! Perhaps someone more experienced can cast a light on that?

Best regards, Christoph

steve simmons
9-Jun-2008, 14:43
You might try the Ziatype process. It is easier than the plat/pall and has been shown and discussed in the last two issues of View Camera.

steve simmons