PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-1: Help getting started...

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 00:02
Hey folks,

My Chamonix 45N-1 is on order and should be arriving sometime in late July. This is my first venture into the large format territory, so I could use all the help I can get! Since I'm starting from scratch, what are the necessary things that I MUST have in order to start shooting once my Chamy gets here? Here's what I have and think I need:

Lens: Purchased a used 90mm f8 SA MC (with a Copal 0).
Lensboard: Need (Linhoff style? How do I know if this will fit the 90mm SA?)
Film holders: Purchased 5x Fidelity Elites.
Cable release: I have one that I use with my Rolleiflex TLR. Will any cable release work or will I need a special one for the LF lens?

I'm guessing I'll need a "back" of some sort to place the film holders in? I'm not sure what I need exactly, but I'm guessing that it will have to be Graflok compatible. I'm sure I'm missing something (or many things... I really haven't a clue!).

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Ron Marshall
8-Jun-2008, 00:36
The lensboard hole diameter for a Copal 0 shutter is 34.6mm, sold often as 35mm; here is a link to a reputable seller with a Nikon branded Linhof Technika board for $8:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF509990770660&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=50&CCC=21&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

The camera comes with a ground glass, under which you slip the filmholder.

If you don't already have it, you need a tripod and head, I strongly recommend a carbon fiber.

Focussing loupe; light meter; darkcloth.

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 01:11
Thanks Ron. I briefly saw a Chamonix that Hugo showed me, but being new to this format itself, I really couldn't make out the fine details. So the film holders I purchased will fit directly into the camera correct?

I do have a tripod and head already, though not carbon fiber. The legs are made from steel (and heavy), but I lugged it around with all my 35mm + MF gear, so it won't hurt to lug it around some more :) The lightness of a carbon fiber tripod would be nice, but I heard they were almost TOO light and weren't very stable in windy conditions.

I'll have to pick up a focussing loupe (hope it's not too pricey!) and a dark cloth.

Jason

Edit: Also, will this Nikon branded lens board work with the 90mm f8 SA and the Chamonix? What's the difference between a Nikon branded and Toyo branded Linhof lens board? Finally, why is there such a big price difference between the Nikon branded lens board and this one. (http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF500090452240&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=23&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=50&CCC=21&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=) Thanks again for your help!

Ron Marshall
8-Jun-2008, 01:40
I own a few different brands of Linhof Technika style lensboard, and for the most part they are pretty much the same, so I always opt for a Nikon or Wista. They all work fine.

The CF tripods dampen vibrations very effectively. If concerned about wind, a bag can be hung from the hook, but resting on the ground to prevent swinging.

KEH, Midwest and Badger are good places to shop.

Hope you enjoy LF!!!

Brian Ellis
8-Jun-2008, 08:18
The Chamonix doesn't come with any information on how to use it (not unusual for LF cameras). Since you're new to LF I'd suggest you search here, using the term "Chamonix," and print those threads that deal with how to use the camera. I think they'll save you a lot of time trying to figure everything out on your own. The Chamonix is a great camera but even with many years of experience using about 8 or 9 different LF cameras, I initially had trouble figuring out where some controls were located and how to do some things with it. I asked some questions here that other users answered and they were very helpful.

You asked about cable releases. Virtually any mechanical cable release should work with your lens and Copal 0 shutter.

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 16:01
Thanks Ron, Brian.

Just to clarify, I'll be able to fit a Fidelity Elite back directly to the Chamonix correct? I just want to be ahead of the game so that once the camera gets here, it will be ready to go!

Jason

butterflydream
8-Jun-2008, 16:24
Thanks Ron, Brian.

Just to clarify, I'll be able to fit a Fidelity Elite back directly to the Chamonix correct? I just want to be ahead of the game so that once the camera gets here, it will be ready to go!

Jason

Yes, Chamonix or whatever brand LF camera you will get the ground glass and spring back that you insert the standard sheet film holder directly.

But before that you need films and have to load them into the holders first. :)

http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/10/26/how-to-load-large-format-film-video-tutorial/

It's also worth to have a 120 roll film back of your favor, 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12, or Sinar zoom holder that covers all. They save time and money for practice, and also will convert your wide angle 90mm into standard lens. There are different kinds of holders, but I prefer calumet style back rather than graflok, as I can insert the holder without having to take the gg back out. I purchased calumet 6x7 back first and then later bought Sinar zoom holder.

If you're short-tempered like me, instant film back is helpful for beginning, to quickly check and learn about exposure, focusing and vignetting. I like my Fuji FP-100B45 films and PA-45 holder.

seawolf66
8-Jun-2008, 17:01
What you need is to get steve Simmons view camera book and read it , unless your eyes are like mine you can forcus a sharply on a ground glass, for a dark cloth grab a dark t-shirt , dk brown , black and that takes care of that problem, as for film go to Freestyle.com and get outdated film or the cheap stuff since if you blow the negative, you won't feel so bad that you wasted a lot of money: [LOL]

One step at a time will get you there fast than a full head of steam will: Newbie at Latge format camera:

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 18:06
Thanks Ernie. Are you stationed in Korea with the armed forces or do you live in Korea? I was born in the states and always wanted to visit the Motherland, but never had the time! And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if one day I come back from a days worth of shooting to find that my film holders were empty ;)

Hey Lauren, many people have been recommending that book. It really must be worth reading. I'll have to order a copy. And I'm planning on buying some Arista.EDU film from Freestyle to "practice" on. Film is really expensive! Thanks for the suggestion.

Jason

Tzabcan
8-Jun-2008, 18:31
Definitely get yourself a book or two. Jack Dykinga's book is pretty good too- Large Format Nature Photography.
Depending on where you live, you might try to find someone in your area who is experienced with large format photography. It can be pretty overwhelming for a beginner to understand movements, bellows extension, etc.

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 18:39
Thanks for the suggestion Tzabcan. I just ordered Steve Simmon's book from Amazon. I'll be doing my homework very soon :)

Jason

seawolf66
8-Jun-2008, 19:03
jasonjoo: I ran into this web site , don't know if you are aware of it , but here its anyways:

ttp://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 19:24
Thanks Lauren. I visit once in awhile to admire the beautiful camera :)

Jason

butterflydream
8-Jun-2008, 20:00
Thanks Ernie. Are you stationed in Korea with the armed forces or do you live in Korea? I was born in the states and always wanted to visit the Motherland, but never had the time! And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if one day I come back from a days worth of shooting to find that my film holders were empty ;)

Jason

I was born in Korea and have lived here for 47 years. I want to visit the states where my relatives are living, for photography and holidays someday - not the business trip - but I never had time either.

Good luck with your new LF! :D

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 20:23
Thanks! Your gallery is amazing! It was quite refreshing.

Jason

Sheldon N
8-Jun-2008, 21:19
Check out this loupe in a used for sale ad at Photo.net. It's very well liked... I use one myself.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=727590

Brian Ellis
8-Jun-2008, 21:54
Thanks Ron, Brian.

Jason

Yes. But in the interest of clarity, the Fidelity Elite isn't a back, it's a film holder.

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 23:29
Yes. But in the interest of clarity, the Fidelity Elite isn't a back, it's a film holder.

Oops, sorry for the slip up.

Jason

jasonjoo
8-Jun-2008, 23:31
Check out this loupe in a used for sale ad at Photo.net. It's very well liked... I use one myself.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=727590

Thanks for the link Sheldon. What is the tilt feature used for? In the Silvestri website, it shows the loupe being placed on the corner of the ground glass at an angle...

Jason

Sheldon N
9-Jun-2008, 12:14
The tilting feature allows you to see the plane of focus more clearly in the corner of the ground glass, when shooting with wide angle lenses.

It also comes with a regular flat base, and is a really nice compact loupe even without the tilting feature. I use mine just as a straight loupe without the tilting base attached.

rknewcomb
9-Jun-2008, 13:48
As has been said, get steve Simmons view camera book and read it. A very good way to learn.

PhotoBob
10-Jun-2008, 12:29
Will Toyo boards work in this camera?

BarryS
10-Jun-2008, 13:12
Will Toyo boards work in this camera? No, you'll need Linhof Technika-type boards for the 45N-1.

Michael R. Reynolds
10-Jun-2008, 20:59
Jason,
Search large format photography on You Tube. You will find a number of very useful instructional videos on focusing and metering. Very helpful stuff. Have fun.

jasonjoo
13-Jun-2008, 09:45
Thanks Michael. For some reason, even after watching Jason Brunner's videos, I didn't think to see if there was any material on YouTube!

Jason

PhotoBob
27-Jun-2008, 12:04
How about L. Stroebel - View Camera Technique.
It is quite a book.
I use Toyo and Fidelity film holders, which I believe will work with the camera.
I'm expecting mine in early-mid August.
:)

john borrelli
27-Jun-2008, 13:30
If you haven't loaded large format film into your film holders before, take a look at www.butzi.net. Paul Butzi provides the best description for loadiing film holders I have seen.

Something you may consider is the purchase of a Fuji Quickload film holder. These film holders take only Fuji quickload films but are very convenient to use(though expensive). Fuji offers color slide, color neg and a black and white neg choice(s). There is a Kodak version but I have never used it.

After learning all the basics of LF, then I learned to load and unload regular sheet film holders. Each system has its advantages and I think you will find having both systems an advantage.

stompyq
27-Jun-2008, 13:59
If you haven't loaded large format film into your film holders before, take a look at www.butzi.net. Paul Butzi provides the best description for loadiing film holders I have seen.

Great advice. Pauls article really helped me figure things out when i was beginning. His site is a great resource for LF in general.