View Full Version : glue for felt in an old lens cap?

Darren Kruger
7-Jun-2008, 15:07
I picked up an old lens cap that is felt lined. over time part of the felt on the side has slipped after the glue released. does anyone know what type of glue I should use to put it back where it should be?


Ralph Barker
7-Jun-2008, 16:01
I'd use a small amount of rubber cement, applied to the cap edge surface with the end of a toothpick.

Peter K
7-Jun-2008, 16:08
Bone glue was mostly used by case makers, but today a shoemaker's contact glue can be used.

Greg Lockrey
7-Jun-2008, 16:21
Pliobond which is an industrial strength contact cement is like a super strength rubber cement. Great for anything that needs flexablity and to be weather proof.

7-Jun-2008, 16:35

You might want to leave the lens cap off for a few days to allow any glue to completely cure. Otherwise, there is a remote possibility of out gassing from the curing process that might settle on the lens surface. Remote possibility, but worth avoiding.

John Kasaian
7-Jun-2008, 20:03
Barge cement was/is a pretty common glue for that sort of application. Then again there's Martha Stewart's favorite---the hot glue gun ;)
BTW I tried hot glue gunning my delaminated Tevas back together---it didn't work but Shoe-goo did the trick :)

Darren Kruger
7-Jun-2008, 20:15
I'll probably try the contact cement route as the felt looks like it has been wrinkled for a few years now. thanks for all of your suggestions!