PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix extension rack vs. top hat board for 450mm lens

Daniel Strasshofer
6-Jun-2008, 14:35
Hi, I´m on the list for the Chamonix 45N-1. I want to use my Fujinon-C 450mm with the camera. What is the better way to go: using the extension rack that Hugo offered, or using a top hat extension board (like Ebay-No.140236902234)?

BarryS
6-Jun-2008, 14:39
I think the front bed extension is the better choice because it's way smaller and lighter than a top hat board and probably less expensive.

Songyun
6-Jun-2008, 14:56
I think the front bed extension is the better choice because it's way smaller and lighter than a top hat board and probably less expensive.

agree on that, I am waiting that extension too.

Ron Marshall
6-Jun-2008, 16:09
I have a top-hat for use with my Toho. It cost me $135 used. It works well, but it is bulky. If an extension were available for my camera, at the same price, I would prefer an extension.

Daniel Strasshofer
7-Jun-2008, 06:06
agree on that, I am waiting that extension too.
What is about bellows stretch? Don`t you think it is easier to work with a bellows that is not stretched to the limit? If it would not be at the limit with the extension rack, I would agree!

Michael Rosenberg
7-Jun-2008, 06:25
I have the Chamonix and a 450c lens. I already had an extension board/top hat for use on my Linhof (I got it from Badger), and it is not enough extension to use alone on the Chamonix. You have to also get the extension rack, or use two top hats.

Mike

Songyun
7-Jun-2008, 06:29
What is about bellows stretch? Don`t you think it is easier to work with a bellows that is not stretched to the limit? If it would not be at the limit with the extension rack, I would agree!

extension rack come with a bellow, try to search Tri's post on his 2024, you will understand.

shadowleaves
15-Dec-2008, 23:13
I have the extension rack. it's great! do get one if you plan to use 450mm lense on Chamonix 045N-1. it cost around $50 if I remember correctly. made with carbon-fiber material. it doesn't come with a separate bellow but you don't need one anyway - both the original bellow and chamonix universal bellow (if you got one) extend to around 500mm easily.

Michael Rosenberg
16-Dec-2008, 07:41
I now have the extension rack, and it is great. The bellows is more than adequate, and it is a lot less bulky to carry around the extension rack than the top hat. The top hat also puts a lot of stress on the front standard.

Mike