PDA

View Full Version : Photography in Union Station

Ron Marshall
6-Jun-2008, 07:19
While the Amtrak spokesman is explaining that there are no restrictions on photography in Union station, a security guard approaches and asks the crew to stop shooting:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=C5EB861DC520F425C08BB9C1199CDDE5?contentId=6664418&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Walter Calahan
6-Jun-2008, 07:48
The managers of Union Station are idiots. Amtrak does not control Union Station. All photography must go through the company that manages the station. I've had run-ins with them over the years. Again, they're idiots. They are no clue that they are dealing with a national landmark.

Navy Moose
15-Jun-2008, 05:42
The managers of Union Station are idiots. Amtrak does not control Union Station. All photography must go through the company that manages the station. I've had run-ins with them over the years. Again, they're idiots. They are no clue that they are dealing with a national landmark.
I'm going to be on a layover at Union Station in October. I was hoping to setup my Crown Graphic and get some nice long exposures in the station. I did that at Grand Central Station with my DSLR and got some nice shots.

I originally asked if the management firm was willing to talk to photographers. After watching the video, I guess they're not.

keith english
17-Jun-2008, 09:35
Sounds like we may finally have an ally in Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton of DC who sits on the Homeland Security committee. Maybe we should all contact her in support of legislation saying photography in public is not a crime. BTW shopping malls are all notorious for not allowing photogaphy, even when shooting a commercial for a tenant you have to jump through hoops. They all use some excuse about protecting copyrights and trademarks, which makes no sense since the final use of the photos is the only thing that could violate anything. They are however private property with litigation issues.

Navy Moose
18-Jun-2008, 13:52
Sounds like we may finally have an ally in Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton of DC who sits on the Homeland Security committee. Maybe we should all contact her in support of legislation saying photography in public is not a crime. BTW shopping malls are all notorious for not allowing photogaphy, even when shooting a commercial for a tenant you have to jump through hoops. They all use some excuse about protecting copyrights and trademarks, which makes no sense since the final use of the photos is the only thing that could violate anything. They are however private property with litigation issues.
Do we have any members who live in the DC area who can make the initial contact?

jshanesy
18-Jun-2008, 18:05
Do we have any members who live in the DC area who can make the initial contact?

I'm certainly willing, but not a part of her constituency. Scott Davis is your best bet. He's a DC resident.

Another idea: the restaurants on the balustrades where those incredible sentinel statues actually reside might let you set up there. Like Uno Express, America (on the upper level). Just a thought. Every time I eat lunch up there I fantasize about looking through a view camera.