PDA

View Full Version : Loading Fuji Instant Film

Tim Povlick
5-Jun-2008, 21:08
I finally got ahold of a PA-45 Fuji instant film holder (seems a large shipment has hit USA). The images are pretty amazing. My only problem is loading the pack correctly. There is a streak down the middle of the image the exact width of the pull out tab. The way I am loading the film, the pull tab is between the rollers and when I pull the film out the tab is there between the rollers and makes the streak across the center of the film. I can not see how to load the pack to route the tabs to prevent this. Studying the film box and holder instructions didn't help. The last piece of film in the pack works perfectly as there is no longer a pull tab in the way. I've blown thru two packs of film so this is getting a bit expensive. Any help / pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tim

Darren Kruger
5-Jun-2008, 22:02
The way I am loading the film, the pull tab is between the rollers

simple answer: don't put the first pull tab between the rollers. seems counter intuitive but it works.

Also, if you have problems and want to reload, opening up the holder should only expose the top sheet of film. Should be better than going through a whole pack to change how it is loaded.

-Darren

Tim Povlick
6-Jun-2008, 06:38
Hi Darren

Thanks for the reply. To make sure I understand this 100%, I put the film pack in and then pull the black protective sheet through the rollers. A pull tab may or may not show up at this point. If it does not then I won't be able to get the first sheet of film out.

A question of the obvious:
I should not have a pull tab between the rollers when pulling the film thru the rollers?

Does pulling the film through the rollers bring out the pull tab?

This seems like the way it should work and I was "one pull tab" ahead of the thing.

How can one get the first sheet pulled thru if there is no pull tab?
I take it the pull tab does fit between the rollers.

Thanks for the help and the info about re-adjusting the pack in place.

Thanks,
Tim

Blue Monkey
6-Jun-2008, 11:18
Just put the pack in and close the holder. You don't have to feed anything between the rollers.

On mine, I just put the pack in and close the PA-45. The black tab will be left sticking out automatically between the seam. After closing, pull the black tab - this automatically feeds the sheets through the rollers.
You'll end up with two sets of tabs sticking out from the holder - the actual pull tab in the bottom slot and the sheet tab in the door slot.

Hope that makes sense - just load and close and pull.

Gene McCluney
7-Jun-2008, 00:17
As stated above, you just lay the pack in the holder, making sure the tabs are not folded under the pack or anything, and close the holder. The black pull-tab will stick out at a seam in the back. You pull the black long tab and the small white Number 1 tab appears....at that seam. When you pull that tab, the print pull tab appears in the slit in the back where the rollers are. The only thing that comes thru the rollers (ever) is the film/print sandwich., which you peel-apart outside the holder after the suggested development time. The small white tabs which indicate the prints left in the pack, which you pull after each shot are NEVER in the rollers...are never threaded thru the rollers.

Tim Povlick
7-Jun-2008, 13:11
Thanks Gene and Blue M.

This was very helpful advice. Badger Graphics was able to overnight more of the film packs to me (they have the Fuji instant film and holder in stock). Sure enough, the film just goes in and close it up, keep tabs away from the rollers. I've shot 3 images with very good results and the feed mechanism is working flawlessly. This will be great for getting exposure perfect. I also like it for quick 4x5 images.

My deepest appreciation for the help guys.

With Regards,

Tim

Gene McCluney
9-Jun-2008, 18:38
Thanks Gene and Blue M.

This was very helpful advice. Badger Graphics was able to overnight more of the film packs to me (they have the Fuji instant film and holder in stock). Sure enough, the film just goes in and close it up, keep tabs away from the rollers. I've shot 3 images with very good results and the feed mechanism is working flawlessly. This will be great for getting exposure perfect. I also like it for quick 4x5 images.

My deepest appreciation for the help guys.

With Regards,

Tim

Glad to be of help. I have been using instant films as a testing media for 40 years. I think sometimes we want to make things more complicated than they are. The pack films were originally developed for amateur cameras so they had to be simple to use.
In fact, some years ago I had a pack-film back failure on the polaroid back for my Mamyia RB-67. I was able to go to a junk shop and purchase an old fold-up Polaroid pack film camera and salvage just the parts I needed to get the RB-67 back working fine. (This would be the medium-format pack, not the 4x5)