PDA

View Full Version : Help - T-MAX Pro Developer and Sheet Film

Blue Monkey
5-Jun-2008, 12:41
I used D-76 with hangers and rubber tanks to do my last (My First actually!) set of 4x5 sheets. Aside from mixing up a larger quantity with the powders and waiting to cool down - the process went well for my first try - all done in the dark.

I've recently acquired a Unicolor drum/base which uses very little chemistry per my research and I can do it in the light. This would be ideal for me right now as I can test a few shots at a time and adjust my shooting style and I wouldn't have to do a large batch at once. I'd also like to test different emulsions to see how they look aswell - I've got some Tri-X, T-Max 100, 400, and some of the Shanghai 100.

So I thought I'd try the T-Max Pro Developer (Non RS) since it would allow to mix asmuch as I need. I have 2 bottles of it to try out.

Now on the Kodak Tech Bulletin J-86 it states its only for roll film and not to be used for sheet film. Is their a reason for this - it doesn't say why in the bulletin.
It recommends the RS for the sheet film - once again, it doesn't say why that is preferred over the other.
I don't understand why the chemistry would be different - film is film, no matter what size - isn't it?

Has anyone tried T-Max Pro with drum processing? What were the results - good, bad? What should I expect if I do go ahead and use it? Should I adjust the concentration of the final working solution?
I'll probably use about 250-300ml with 4 sheets in the drum and cut back time by 10-15% for the given emulsion.

I don't have the T-Max Pro RS and I don't really want to reuse developer and keep track of replenisher, usage and number of sheets done, etc..

Any Help would be appreciated (before I sacrifice some sheets!) Any thoughts?

CG
5-Jun-2008, 13:34
Yes, film is film, but films differ and TMax RS developer is the one for sheet film. I forget the specific issue, but there is a problem that occurs with sheet film and non RS. For some reason I think it's some surface fog or dichroic fog, or a nasty coating that gets on sheet film when using T-MaxDev - not RS .... but don't quote me on the details...

C

Ron Marshall
5-Jun-2008, 14:29
As CG said, T-Max RS, not T-Max, is the one Kodak recommends for use with sheet film.

IanMazursky
5-Jun-2008, 17:59
I remember something about it, but for me it doesn't exist.
I use a PhotoTherm SSK rotary tube. The recommended standard developer for it is Tmax 1:5. Not the RS version.
I use the SSK for all of my 4x5. Tmax 100-400, TriX, HP5 and ERA.
It works really well. No additional fog and no goop.

It might be the continuous agitation that keeps things normal?

Blue Monkey
6-Jun-2008, 07:01
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Looks like I may be risking it on the shots I have - but I may have to try it on a couple of test shots. Perhaps it may be fine with the Shanghai film as I've been told its a thinner base.

Ian, I'm just wondering if the constant agitation in the rotary drum helps overcomes the fogging issue compared to dunking and tray development?
I guess its time to sacrifice some test shots. Will let you know the results.

Cheers.

Pat Kearns
6-Jun-2008, 07:15
Tmax sheet film is susceptable to chromagenic stains when developed in the regular Tmax developer. I had used the regular Tmax developer with a beseler drum and never experienced the staining but didn't want to chance it. So I switched to the Tmax RS. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You know Murphy's Law and it will strike on one of your prized exposures.

ic-racer
6-Jun-2008, 07:57
For the last year I have used the non-RS T-max developer for rotary processed 4x5 with excellent results. Not a recommendation, just stating my experience.

Joseph O'Neil
6-Jun-2008, 08:18
Regardless of which developer you use, when you go from tanks and hangers (or tray processing) to rotary, it changes a few things, and this is true for all B&W films and developer combinations.

My thought is for you to deliberately "waste" a few sheets or shots. For example, the constant agitation of a rotary drum can increase contrast as compared to hanger & tank development. This can be compensated for by using a water pre-soak, cutting back on developing times or adjusting the weakness/strength of your developer.

So go have some fun and experiment. Good luck
joe

Phil Hudson
6-Jun-2008, 09:16
I also use the Phototherm SSK rotary processor and I started by using the regular TMax developer 1+5 and I DID get some dichroic staining. I switched to the RS version with excellent clean results.

Perhaps the water composition and other variables make a difference?

Phil

IanMazursky
6-Jun-2008, 22:29
Hi Phil,

Maybe its the water? I use tap! New Rochelle has really good drinkable water and i have never had any problems with it in my chemistry. Damn, now i know i will have problems!

I do use a pre soak in the processor.

Do the times in the SSK differ for Tmax RS? and do you mix it 1:5?
I only ask because i have 8 boxes of the stuff hanging around.