PDA

View Full Version : No more instant 4x5 B&W

blevblev
5-Jun-2008, 08:50
Am I right that there are no longer ANY black and white 4x5 instant films made? I know that Polaroid stopped, but I thought Fuji would take up the slack. Now I learn that Fuji no longer makes 4x5 b&w either. Is that so - no more at all, from anyone?

Jim Noel
5-Jun-2008, 08:52
Sadly I believe you are correct.

dede95064
5-Jun-2008, 13:12
fuji b&w 4x5 instant:

iso 100:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/product_info.php?osCsid=37de07d5a12edbe98b7d4101c07c5c2f&currency=USD&products_id=76

iso500:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=77&osCsid=37de07d5a12edbe98b7d4101c07c5c2f

iso3200:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=78&osCsid=37de07d5a12edbe98b7d4101c07c5c2f

:)

Gene McCluney
7-Jun-2008, 00:31
As stated above Fuji makes 3 different b/w emulsions in 4x5 "pack" style instant film, but these are print films only, no usable negative is produced.

Polaroid makes NO instant film anymore of any kind. Fuji is the only producer.

blevblev
7-Jun-2008, 23:49
I ordered some from one of the above links, but the place behind the website is in Japan. I couldn't find anyone with inventory in the US. Does that mean that they are continuing to make it, but not for export, or is it simply that the guys in Japan are the only ones with any left?

R Mann
8-Jun-2008, 05:42
B&H is showing Fuji FP-100B film as in stock - I picked up some a few weeks ago from them. It is pack film and not a full 4x5 - same size as the smaller Polaroid packs.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Jun-2008, 06:44
The 4x5" pack film version is FP-100B45.

BrianShaw
8-Jun-2008, 07:39
Polaroid makes NO instant film anymore of any kind.

I stopped looking at their web site for a while... and this morning found that they don't even have a category any more for 4x5 or 8x10 sheet films. Boo hoo. :(

dede95064
8-Jun-2008, 09:56
I ordered some from one of the above links, but the place behind the website is in Japan. I couldn't find anyone with inventory in the US. Does that mean that they are continuing to make it, but not for export, or is it simply that the guys in Japan are the only ones with any left?

from my understanding, it is exported from japan only. it is continually being made but in japan only. that's the only website i've seen that currently carries it for export.

Dirk Rösler
8-Jun-2008, 20:39
Unconfirmed at this stage, but I am picking up the vibe that the Fuji instant films >ISO 100 are to be discontinued... :(

blevblev
9-Jun-2008, 06:06
B&H is showing Fuji FP-100B film as in stock

Yeah, well that was the mistake I made too - FP-100B is NOT 4x5, it's 3.25x4.25. The confusion to me was that FP-100c (the color flim) IS 4x5.

Frank Petronio
9-Jun-2008, 06:36
I'm giving up on Polaroid and Fuji altogether. Just listed my 545i and last box of 52, going off it kicking and screaming cold turkey.

~sniff~

At least it will make my case lighter and maybe save me some money, provided I don't blow too many shots because I didn't check them with a 'roid.

Gordon Moat
9-Jun-2008, 09:54
Yeah, well that was the mistake I made too - FP-100B is NOT 4x5, it's 3.25x4.25. The confusion to me was that FP-100c (the color flim) IS 4x5.

Definitely there is some confusion with Fuji Instant. There is FP100C and FP100C45, which are in reality two different products. When you see that 45 in the name of the product, then that is the larger pack size. Calumet was one company that had this listed incorrectly on their website, including showing the old style box and packaging.

I use quite a bit of FP100C and FP100C45, and they will not work in the same holders. The colour response and performance are exactly the same. The FP100C works in a Polaroid 405 holder, or the Fuji PA-145. The FP100C45 works only in the Polaroid 550 holder, or the Fuji PA-45.

There is an FP100B45, but it is not yet officially exported by Fujifilm. There is also an FP3000B45, though as an ISO 3000 film perhaps more limited usage. In Japan, Fuji also have an ISO 500 B/W Instant film.

I suspect that as the supply of Polaroid materials dwindles, we might see more Fujifilm Instant. Hopefully by that time Fujifilm decide to expand the range of what is available (officially) outside Japan.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Gene McCluney
9-Jun-2008, 18:12
Unconfirmed at this stage, but I am picking up the vibe that the Fuji instant films >ISO 100 are to be discontinued... :(

You have a better ear to the ground than those of us outside Japan, but it would be a shame to discontinue products that NOW have a greater chance of larger sales due to the demise of the competition.

Fuji should consider exporting more of their products, as there IS a READY market for them.

BrianShaw
10-Jun-2008, 07:42
Fuji should consider exporting more of their products, as there IS a READY market for them.

Maybe we're too close to the problem. How big is the market, really?

Gene McCluney
10-Jun-2008, 10:17
Maybe we're too close to the problem. How big is the market, really?

Well, there are tons of Photo ID systems that use instant pack film. In talking to my main film vendor, Unique Photo, they said there has been growth in the Photo ID film sales due to the new US passport requirements (for travel to Canada and Mexico). Many small shops have perfectly good instant film based photo ID cameras and do not wish to purchase a digital equivalent (which is rather pricey). Fuji would be the only instant film vendor to provide materials for these instant-film based cameras.

roteague
10-Jun-2008, 10:36

Fuji USA:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/fujifilm_instant_films/index.html

vinny
10-Jun-2008, 13:07
Fuji USA:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/fujifilm_instant_films/index.html

Only the color 4x5 is listed there no b+w.
I've been in contact with them regarding instant film and holders. Send them an email with your concerns about b+w availability. Enough requests may get their other instant 4x5 films here

contactfuji@fujifilm.com

BrianShaw
10-Jun-2008, 14:26
Well, there are tons of Photo ID systems that use instant pack film. In talking to my main film vendor, Unique Photo, they said there has been growth in the Photo ID film sales due to the new US passport requirements (for travel to Canada and Mexico). Many small shops have perfectly good instant film based photo ID cameras and do not wish to purchase a digital equivalent (which is rather pricey). Fuji would be the only instant film vendor to provide materials for these instant-film based cameras.

OK, there's an example. I recently saw a projection made a few years ago and passport applications was to peak next year (2009) and then settle, albeit at a rather high number of renewals. But that, too, is likely a rapidly declining market. Passports are changing... and that might further decline the instant film passport photo market:

New ICAO Passport Specifications

In May 2003, the International Civil Aviation
Organization (ICAO) adopted a global,
harmonized blueprint for integrating
biometric identification information into
passports and other machine-readable
travel documents (MRTDs). Under
development for several years, these new
international passport specifications call for
the inclusion of advanced storage
technologies, in the form of an integrated
circuit chip. This chip will store the passport
holder’s biographical data and photo.

Gene McCluney
10-Jun-2008, 19:54
Only the color 4x5 is listed there no b+w.
I've been in contact with them regarding instant film and holders. Send them an email with your concerns about b+w availability. Enough requests may get their other instant 4x5 films here

contactfuji@fujifilm.com

Sorry, but you are wrong. The FB3000b b/w ISO 3000 speed is available in 4x5 pack, and is shown on their web site.

The other b/w stocks and other color instant film stocks are available in Japan.

vinny
10-Jun-2008, 19:56
oops. i mean the 100 and 500 asa stuff isn't available here in the states.

RDB Korn
10-Jun-2008, 20:26
Sorry, but you are wrong. The FB3000b b/w ISO 3000 speed is available in 4x5 pack, and is shown on their web site.

The other b/w stocks and other color instant film stocks are available in Japan.

It may be listed on their web site, but try sourcing it in North America - I haven't been able to find any, except on evilBay. B&H used to list it on their site, special order 20 minimum at $27 each, but it's gone from their site.

roteague
10-Jun-2008, 21:00
It may be listed on their web site, but try sourcing it in North America - I haven't been able to find any, except on evilBay. B&H used to list it on their site, special order 20 minimum at $27 each, but it's gone from their site.

B&H still lists it, but it is out of stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278326-REG/Fujifilm_15200772_FP_3000B_Professional_Instant_Black.html.

It lists for $7.99 per pack (these are 10 sheet packs, and won't work in the traditional Polaroid 545 holders).

For some reason, it is listed under:
Home » Fujifilm » Film & Darkroom Accessories » Film » Color » Instant Film

Also, you have to search as: FP-3000B, not FP3000B.

roteague
10-Jun-2008, 21:02
Here is Calumet:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/WG0014/.

$8.99 in stock.

Note: these are NOT 4x5, they are 3.25 x 4.25".

Dirk Rösler
10-Jun-2008, 22:07
Well, to be totally precise with the right backs both pack film sizes can be used with 4x5 (Fuji PA-145 or Pola 405 for the smaller stuff), but only the FP-xxxB45 will have the full 4x5 image area. The other has a crop factor, like with a DSLR :)

Eirik Berger
10-Jun-2008, 23:45
Dirk said the D***-word :D

blevblev
11-Jun-2008, 16:03
We seem to have something of an "attention deficiency" going on here - the above 2 links point to the film that I bought to begin with (FP-100B) thinking that it was 4x5. That's why I started the thread.

FP-100B IS NOT 4X5 FILM, IT IS 3.25X4.25.

The 4X5 film is the FP-100B45.

RDB Korn
12-Jun-2008, 08:08
B&H still lists it, but it is out of stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278326-REG/Fujifilm_15200772_FP_3000B_Professional_Instant_Black.html.

It lists for $7.99 per pack (these are 10 sheet packs, and won't work in the traditional Polaroid 545 holders).

For some reason, it is listed under:
Home » Fujifilm » Film & Darkroom Accessories » Film » Color » Instant Film

Also, you have to search as: FP-3000B, not FP3000B.

I was talking about FP-3000B45, the 4X5 pack film. Used to be on the B&H site, no longer listed.