PDA

View Full Version : Film loaded backwards

Joppino
4-Jun-2008, 05:52
Hi everyone,

I want you to know about this experience I have gone through, basically without being aware of it till last sunday...

I am quite new to LF, and even if I have read a lot about it in theory, I haven't shot many films till now: about 6 B&W and 1 Colour transparency. This much I had to shoot before realizing what you all are thinkin' about... Since the beginning I regularly misloaded (backwards) my films in the holders!!! :eek:

Don't know how could it be, because I am sure I have watched a couple of tutorials and it looked perfectly easy and obvious, but probably it is because to me the brighter part of the film had to be the one to show to the light... Who can say! :confused:

This said, the most curious part of the story is that each time I got the films back from the lab, I was surprised of how those negatives were exactly as I wanted them to be, especially regarding exposure! I wasn't slightly suspicious of having made a so huge mistake!! Basically, I realized my error only when I started contact printing the images: emulsion down on the sensitized paper they would have mirrored...... :mad:

How could it be? Reading the "common mistakes" page here in the homepage, I read that loading the film backwards should bring a 2-4 stops underexposure, but it isn't what I have noticed on my negatives! Could it depend on the particularly forgiving film used (ilford hp5+), on the developing (maybe in the lab the technician corrected the development more than I clearly indicated on the holder, or used a particular active developer...) or what?

Now I am concerned about taking new pictures with the films loaded correctly, because I don't konw if I have to compensate somewhat my exposures!!

BTW the color transparency came back in red-scale... I thought it was because the films were some expired ones I got for free... :p

Sorry for the verbosity!

Marco

Ron Marshall
4-Jun-2008, 06:41
You should test to find the film speed with your set-up, light-meter etc.

Joppino
4-Jun-2008, 12:07
Sure Ron, that is exactly what I did for the last 6 pictures, and all came out perfectly even with the films loaded backwards!

The point is: could it be possible that operating exactly as I did till now, but positioning the films correctly in the holder, I'll continue to produce good negatives? Or should I expect to overexpose my first negatives?

Marco

Ron Marshall
4-Jun-2008, 14:13
Sure Ron, that is exactly what I did for the last 6 pictures, and all came out perfectly even with the films loaded backwards!

The point is: could it be possible that operating exactly as I did till now, but positioning the films correctly in the holder, I'll continue to produce good negatives? Or should I expect to overexpose my first negatives?

Marco

My point is you should test one sheet in the correct orientation. If I remember correctly, HP5 does have an anti-halation backing, so you are correct, expect to over-expose.