PDA

View Full Version : Tofino trip

Fred Braakman
2-Jun-2008, 21:12
I'll be going to Tofino, on Vancouver Island, end of June, and I expect to have some striking images of the coastal region. Can anyone recommend any spot in particular?

thanks
fred

Andrew O'Neill
2-Jun-2008, 21:20
There is only one spot...the beach. Have fun!

sanking
2-Jun-2008, 21:20
I'll be going to Tofino, on Vancouver Island, end of June, and I expect to have some striking images of the coastal region. Can anyone recommend any spot in particular?

thanks
fred

The beach just south of Tofino in the Pacific Rim Park has some spectacular driftwood. There is also a very impressive old growth forest in the park. If you will be driving to Tofino from Nanaimo there is a another very impressive old growth forest along the way called Cathedral Grove.

Sandy King

David Luttmann
3-Jun-2008, 05:40
Don't forget to stop along the way between Cathedral Grove and Tofino. Lots of beautiful lakes with gorgeous views. Sprout lake and Kennedy lakes comes to mind.

Ron Marshall
3-Jun-2008, 06:00
If you're into hiking don't miss the west coast trail:

http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/

David Luttmann
3-Jun-2008, 08:01
If you're into hiking don't miss the west coast trail:

http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/

I can't imagine doing it with a VC though.....it was bad enough just carting around a 1D series camera.

Nathan Potter
3-Jun-2008, 08:06
The Cathedral grove on the way to Tofino is a splendid old growth douglas fir forest and borders a dandy stream. Although the huge wind storm in the 90's wrecked a lot of the forest there is still some areas where great photos can be obtained. As mentioned above the Pacific Rim Park beach is a must see - esp. in the fog. I also like the western red cedar forest on the east side of the road back from the beach area; there's a pretty good trail you can hike if you can backpack your gear a ways. Great area - good luck.

Nate Potter

Ron Marshall
3-Jun-2008, 09:13
I can't imagine doing it with a VC though.....it was bad enough just carting around a 1D series camera.

Toho, quickloads, and one lens. But you would have to be in good shape!

David Luttmann
3-Jun-2008, 09:20
Toho, quickloads, and one lens. But you would have to be in good shape!

I've got a shape alright.....it's more round right now than good! :eek:

Ernest Purdum
3-Jun-2008, 16:36
Even if you are driving, taking the little train ride is a fine way to see some more of what the island has to offer.

Fred Braakman
6-Jun-2008, 20:15
Thanks guys,
I can hardly wait to go. My wife is coming since its an anniversary trip. I'll have to keep her occupied while I'm under the darkcloth. Is there a shopping mall nearby? :)

fred

RDB Korn
7-Jun-2008, 14:49
No shopping malls as such, but a number of interesting little galleries, shops and bakeries in Tofino itself.

Paul

sanking
7-Jun-2008, 15:05
Even if you are driving, taking the little train ride is a fine way to see some more of what the island has to offer.

What little train ride are you talking about?

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
7-Jun-2008, 21:46
A train runs from Victoria to Campbell River (I think that's where it terminates as I only used to ride it to Nanaimo). Tofino is on the west coast and the train runs on the east coast. I believe it has two runs a day. One up and one down.

r.e.
8-Jun-2008, 10:52
What little train ride are you talking about?

Sandy

The train, called the Malahat, is operated by Via Rail: http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_roch_vico.html

It runs between Victoria and Courtenay once each day in each direction, taking about 4 1/2 hours with several stops along the way.

Dave Aharonian
8-Jun-2008, 17:26
If you want a more intimate spot, not as open as Long Beach, I highly recommend Halfmoon Bay, at the south end of Florencia Bay. Its a gorgeous little beach that is very photogenic!