PDA

View Full Version : Identifying this camera (and size)

big_ben_blue
1-Jun-2008, 11:19
A little home cleanup brought this camera back into the light (had totally forgotten about it). And alas, I have no clue who the maker was, and worse ... the film size is an odd one: 21x24cm (8 1/4 x 9.5") according to the groundglass, plus it appears to be vertical only (back can be taken off but not reversed to horizontal).
So to all the Sherlock Holmes out there - what do I have here?

Chris

Dave Parker
1-Jun-2008, 12:03
Wasn't 21x24cm a Euro format, which is roughly what the US standard of 8x10 was..

Where the heck is Ole' when you need him!

:D

Ole Tjugen
1-Jun-2008, 13:45
I'm here...

No, the standard European (German) format was 18x24cm. This one is a full 3cm wider (in portrait orientation) which means it's something different again.

Ernest Purdum
1-Jun-2008, 15:33
For whatever it's worth (not much help) I think it may be Japanese. An off-size is a little weird, a back that won't go to horizontal is a whole bund weird.

Peter K
1-Jun-2008, 15:57
Before dry plates in the days of the wet collodion process virtually every photographer had his own plate size. Cameras where made on the special order of the photographer. And of course the plate holders too.

Paul Fitzgerald
1-Jun-2008, 22:20
Chris,

eBayer (cameo_need_ham) had a camera listed this week that looked very much like yours. Maybe you could find one of his auctions and 'ask the seller a question'. It was 5x7 size and German made, large and heavy. Sorry, I didn't flag it.

Good luck with the hunt

big_ben_blue
2-Jun-2008, 08:37
Chris,

eBayer (cameo_need_ham) had a camera listed this week that looked very much like yours. Maybe you could find one of his auctions and 'ask the seller a question'. It was 5x7 size and German made, large and heavy. Sorry, I didn't flag it.

Good luck with the hunt

Paul - I had seen his camera, and it does look similar indeed in overall construction ("Globus - Stella of 13x18 cm plate model by Neue Görlitzer Camera-Werke"). The front standard on mine however is more reminiscent of japanese models, the way the back is attached is akin tho the american Anthony's with Benster (Tombour) holders, and the plate size throws a curveball into the mix. I got it of the famous auction side from someone in the US a couple of years ago, who in turn had found it in an antique or consignment store.
I do have a 7x7 sliding back for it - no hint pointing to a manufacturer on it either. Maybe it's a wetplate camera as Peter mentioned; but it does appear to be a little too advanced for it. In any case, it's a good candidate for restoration; I am toying with the thought of getting a wetplate back made for it.

Ernest Purdum
3-Jun-2008, 17:27
Your mention of tambour holders is interesting and may be the key. Some old studio camera holders were made with interior sliding pieces that would take a variety of plate sizes. The plates could, of course be inserted in either vertical or horizontal format.

Japanese makers were familiar with American studio cameras. Tachihara even called theirs "Study Anthony". They were still being made in 1970, maybe even later.

seawolf66
3-Jun-2008, 20:52
Hope you figure it out, But for me the wood and brass appear the have mellowed out nicely:

Steven Tribe
22-Mar-2012, 14:53
Looking at this after 4 years (I have gotten into Görlitzer Atelier, tambou and horizontal/vertical placement in plate holders since then), I agree that the "basis" for the design is the German style Studio cameras from Dresden and Görlitz, but the brass details do suggest Japan or China - perhaps even India. Somewhere away from Europe, with a long tradition for good brass work - with own local ideas about decoration.

I assume that the base opens up by positive movement of the two halves through 2 half sections of R and L acme threads? Is the wood teak or cherry?

Steven Tribe
22-Mar-2012, 17:16
I have found very similar front standard brass design on an ebay listing from a very well known Indian maker - with good traditions. But he may have been copying a Japanese design.