PDA

View Full Version : Rotelar or Tele-Arton ?

Hniz
1-Jun-2008, 03:33
Hello

I'd like to have your opinion on those tele lenses:
- Rodenstock Rotelar 1:5.6 f=270mm (Image circle: 156mm at f22, 150mm full open),
- And Schneider Kreuznach Tele-Arton 1:5.5 f=270mm (Image circle at f/16: 178mm).

Any of you can tell me the benefits/problems of those both?
The tele-arton seems lots more light and compact, but otherwise, both seem very close, same focal length.

Thanks

Frank Petronio
1-Jun-2008, 05:43
Whichever one is less hazy from age... they are both good lenses but older, so condition matters most.

Hniz
1-Jun-2008, 07:01
Both beeing in good condition, off course. No scratch, no pills, nothing. maybe slight yellowish glass for the rotelar.

Ole Tjugen
1-Jun-2008, 07:23
Then I would go for the one with the most image circle - especially as the other barely covers 4x5" straight on at f:22. :)

Kirk Keyes
1-Jun-2008, 22:03
I had a Tele-Rotelar and it did not cover 4x5 ( at least that's my recollection - this was 20 years ago). I sold it and got a G-Claron 240 mm.
much sharper and much, much larger coverage.

domenico Foschi
1-Jun-2008, 23:42
I have owned a Tele Arton 240mm and I can only say good things about it.
BEautiful tonal rendition and that characteristic that I can only describe as "soft but sharp".

Hniz
2-Jun-2008, 04:47
Thank you Domenico. BTW I like your work very much... I'm honoured to have your comments!

Hniz
2-Jun-2008, 05:59
BTW which version did you use? Mine is (I guess) multi-coated, year 1968-70.

domenico Foschi
2-Jun-2008, 23:57
Thank you, Hniz.
Mine was a linhof selected. I truly liked it and ...I sold it!
It was a multicoated, I believe, but don't quote me on that.
It is great for portraits, and for images where you don't need the added contrast that another modern lens might be able to give you.
Try it and see if you like it.

domenico Foschi
3-Jun-2008, 00:03
Interesting and sensitive work, Harry.

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 06:47
Then I would go for the one with the most image circle - especially as the other barely covers 4x5" straight on at f:22. :)

Ole

Gather the 270 Rotelar has less image circle ? Think it was designed for press cameras, with shift unnecessary. Have one in good cond and never used it. The Tele artons do have a nice quality to them though, even with old single/double coating. Apparently known for it. New MC version should be really good.....and dammed expensive.

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 06:56
Thank you, Hniz.
Mine was a linhof selected. I truly liked it and ...I sold it!
It was a multicoated, I believe, but don't quote me on that.
It is great for portraits, and for images where you don't need the added contrast that another modern lens might be able to give you.
Try it and see if you like it.

Know what you mean, Domenico - kind of a genuine/ true colour gradation - probably with less contrast....by design. Contrast and resolution are, after all, very different. That will have been a double-coated lens. The lightweight 270 Technika Tele Arton is excellent, even as a double coated model. And a short bellows draw. A lens to have.