PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Legs Plus Height?

neil poulsen
31-May-2008, 09:23
I have a Manfrotto 475 tripod, which has been a favorite of mine for a long time. (That, and it's predecessor, the 3036.)

But, I've been thinking about getting something lighter. At about 12 lbs, the 475 and head are a bit heavy. (Tripod itself weighs 9 lbs.)

What's a good light weight tripod for a light weight outfit that has decent height? Most of the carbon fiber that I've seen are kind of short.

Really Big Cameras
31-May-2008, 10:45
Neil,

You may want to consider the Feisol carbon fiber tripods. They make four models that are quite large (37mm top leg tube diameter) and 59"- 61" tall without a center column (or 75" - over 80" with the optional center column). They all weigh less than 5 lbs. and are quite affordable for large, sturdy carbon fiber tripods.

You can see the specs and prices on these models (CT-3371, CT-3471, CT-3372 and CT-3472), and all other Feisol carbon fiber tripods at:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Feisol_Table

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Really Big Cameras
31-May-2008, 10:57
Neil,

To give you a frame of reference, I just checked the specs on your Manfrotto 475. It's 63.6" with the center column down and weighs 9.5 lbs. The Feisol CT-3371 is 61" tall with the flat top plate and it weighs 4.85 lbs. With the optional center column installed, but not extended, it's over 63" tall. So, it's very similar in size to your Manfrotto 475, but about half the weight.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

W K Longcor
31-May-2008, 11:19
FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH ----- "Solid" is the factor when thinking about tripods. Don't be too quick to go lighter. Many years ago, I worked for a photographer who claimed that if you had a tripod that was light weight and compact enough that you did not mind carrying it along -- you might as well leave it home! If you are working out doors, no matter how firm a modern "light weight" tripod may seem, it will vibrate in the wind. Weight and MASS are what dampen the vibration. Even with a steel (not the more popular, and lighter, aluminium) majestic tripod , he would hang 20 to 40 pound of weights from the bottom of the center column to add MASS. :rolleyes:

Really Big Cameras
31-May-2008, 13:32
Actually mass is only one of the variables that impacts the damping of vibrations in a mechanical system. The materials and design of the system are even more important. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge had plenty of mass, but the materials used were not significantly rigid and the design was flawed. That lead to the famous collapse of the bridge just four months after it opened to traffic.

The same principles apply to tripods, on a smaller scale. The stiffnnes of the materials and the design of the system are just as important, in fact more important, than the mass of the tripod. A well designed, well built carbon fiber tripod will dampen vibrations better than a poorly designed, poorly built metal tripod that weighs two, three or more times as much. Carbon fiber, in spite of being very lightweight is very rigid. It dampens vibrations very well.

These properties are why carbon fiber is favored in applications where both lightweight and rigidity are highly valued (high performance race cars, racing bicycles, golf club shafts, tennis rackets, etc.). It also makes carbon fiber a great material to use for making tripod legs.

And, if you want to add more mass to the system, you can. All Feisol tripods come with a hang hook. So you can add ballast to your system in the form of your camera bag, a bag of rocks, etc. No need to carry an overly heavy tripod up and down mountain trails when other objects that you are also carrying, or can be obtained on site, are available to serve as ballast.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Jeff Keller
31-May-2008, 14:21
Get a carbon fiber tripod. You won't regret it.

I'm new to LF but have used a carbon fiber tripod for years with large heavy telephoto lenses. Feisol has some interesting choices. I recently got a Gitzo 3040LS. Not having the center column keeps the weight and collapsed length to a minimum. It will fit in a 22" carry on suitcase yet gets the camera up to eye level. It weighs just under 4 pounds. It replaces a lower capacity Gitzo 1227 that I've used for years. Hang your camera bag from the tripod with one end resting on ground so that it won't move if it is really windy.
jeff

Jeff Keller
31-May-2008, 14:24
Sorry for typo ... I have a GT3540LS
jeff

Kirk Gittings
31-May-2008, 15:05
FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH ----- "Solid" is the factor when thinking about tripods. Don't be too quick to go lighter. Many years ago, I worked for a photographer who claimed that if you had a tripod that was light weight and compact enough that you did not mind carrying it along -- you might as well leave it home! If you are working out doors, no matter how firm a modern "light weight" tripod may seem, it will vibrate in the wind. Weight and MASS are what dampen the vibration. Even with a steel (not the more popular, and lighter, aluminium) majestic tripod , he would hang 20 to 40 pound of weights from the bottom of the center column to add MASS. :rolleyes:

I've been at this for almost 40 years (yikes). In the old days I would agree with you, but not anymore. A modern well designed CF tripod is much more solid, less prone to vibration and considerably lighter than tripods of even 15 years ago.

I use a Manfrotto 055MF3.

Frank Petronio
31-May-2008, 15:16
I also thought my metal Gitzo was better because it was heavier -- once I really started using a CF tripod I knew why everybody who can afford one should get one.

My tripod cost more than my camera and lens... I think that is the right ratio ;-)

W K Longcor
31-May-2008, 20:53
When I'm wrong - I'm wrong. The CF stuff is new to me. Sounds great! But I'm sure there is a reason why those Feisol tripods still have a hang hook for extra weight.

Frank Petronio
31-May-2008, 21:16
No question that the weight helps in the wind, but for calm conditions the CF dampens the vibration and the tripod's weight isn't a factor. They aren't weightless and you still have enough mass to tighten controls against, etc.

Really Big Cameras
31-May-2008, 21:37
But I'm sure there is a reason why those Feisol tripods still have a hang hook...

It provides a handy place to hang your camera bag/backpack to keep it up out of the wet grass, mud and blowing sand.

More weight never hurts, but it's not usually necessary unless there is quite a bit of wind - which may make shooting difficult no matter what your tripod is made from, or how much it weighs.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

neil poulsen
15-Jun-2008, 09:23
Neil,

To give you a frame of reference, I just checked the specs on your Manfrotto 475. It's 63.6" with the center column down and weighs 9.5 lbs. The Feisol CT-3371 is 61" tall with the flat top plate and it weighs 4.85 lbs. With the optional center column installed, but not extended, it's over 63" tall. So, it's very similar in size to your Manfrotto 475, but about half the weight.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Hmmm. May have to save my pennies. Thanks for the information.

neil poulsen
15-Jun-2008, 09:25
Thanks everyone. I'm into cutting weight, from both my person and my equipment. Aghast, may even venture into 6x9. Still view, though.

Bill_1856
15-Jun-2008, 10:16
I can't tell from your old posts whether you're shooting 4x5 or 8x10.
Presuming that it's 4x5 I'd like to point out the used, Leitz-made, TILTALL, which weighs in at SIX POUNDS including their great tilt/pan head, costs less than $100, and seem to last forever.
A 3 pound Carbon Fiber Wunderpod is going to weigh over 5 pounds once a large enough head is added for LF use. And will cost $300 more!

Kirk Gittings
15-Jun-2008, 10:22
Sorry, in my humble opinion, having owned a few Leitz Tiltalls in the 60's and 70's, they are not in the same league with a modern CF tripod and a decent head. Not even close.

Dave Parker
15-Jun-2008, 10:37
Kirk,

Although I agree they are not the same as a modern CF tripod, they are a hell of alot less expensive, I have 4 tiltalls and would not sell them for anything, I have of course modified them to take modern heads..

Dave

Mark Mellen
15-Jun-2008, 14:17
I purchased a Gitzo 3540 XLS light @ 4.3 pounds and load weight of over 39 pounds, with legs that extend to 78"... I am impressed with this unit over my many others I have used over the years. Mark