PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get budget mounting flanges for old barrell lenses?

Magpie
30-May-2008, 22:48
Hi All,

I have a number of old, not so desirable barrell lenses that I want to fit mounting flanges too.

They do not warrant getting custom flanges made -too expensive for so so lenses- and not worth the postage too and from Australia to the USA.

Does anyone know of a supplier of budget flanges? Or does someone have an easy method for mounting them 'DIY'?

Thanks

Ash
31-May-2008, 00:36
Search the forums. There have been a few threads on a variety of DIY mounting methods. One includes the use of rubber O-rings or clamps.

Wimpler
31-May-2008, 01:09
The threads on lenses range from "non standard" to "this is so strange nobody would even think of making it like this", so they would always have to be custom made. This will always be expensive.

The cheap alternative is to hold it onto a lensboard in an alternative way.

Greg Lockrey
31-May-2008, 01:10
Being in the photo business, it is always good to make friends with machinists. :) ;)

If the lens isn't that important to you, you could always glue it to the board with Super-Glue or Gorilla Glue or something similar.

Paul Fitzgerald
31-May-2008, 07:46
Brendan,

You could always make a lens board from 6mm hobby plywood, cut the hole the size of the barrel, remove the aperture ring and mount the lens thru the board from the rear. Just bevel the inside edge of the hole to match the barrel flair and 3 set screws the stop it from turning. Black foam-core works well as a light baffle. Alternative is to use 1mm aluminum and an O-ring, foam-core for the light trap.

Quick, easy and cheap.

snuck
31-May-2008, 07:54
I'm going to post somethng in the for sale and wtb sections, but if anybody has a 3" interior dimension mounting flange, I'd be game...

John Kasaian
31-May-2008, 08:13
Magpie,
If you're a cheapskate like me you might go to the local hardware store and get a rubber gasket that fits between the toilet basin and the bowl for use as a retaining ring (if it will clear the light trap!)
Good luck :)

Toyon
31-May-2008, 08:14
There's a guy on feebay who, I suspect, bought out the stock of retaining rings from Burke and James. His listing name is artinprogress. His prices are not really cheap, but much less than custom work. I have found him reliable.

Ole Tjugen
31-May-2008, 08:20
The best is to get hold of an iris mount. They are expensive (at present), but replace any number of flanges.

That's why I have several of them - for several different cameras. Even a small one on a Speed Graphic! The biggest one is on the 24x30cm camera at the back here.

Magpie
31-May-2008, 21:10
The best is to get hold of an iris mount. They are expensive (at present), but replace any number of flanges.

That's why I have several of them - for several different cameras. Even a small one on a Speed Graphic! The biggest one is on the 24x30cm camera at the back here.

Hi Ole,

Thanks for that, I just missed one on that auction site, was not really sure if it was worth what it went for. Will keep my eyes open for another one.

Regards

Brendan

Mark Sawyer
1-Jun-2008, 10:32
If you have a thin enough lens board to allow a few threads on the back of the lens to pass through, a hot glue gun works well for not-to-heavy lenses, and peels off fairly cleanly should you want to remove the lens. Just run a good bead all the way around the lens on the back side of the board.

Glenn Thoreson
1-Jun-2008, 18:44
I just drill a hole in the board that's snug enough that, with a little effort, the thing will screw right onto it. You need an infinitely adjustable hole saw (flycutter), available at most hardware stores. Not expensive and works well.

Lightbender
3-Jun-2008, 13:40
Mag, I'd vote for the hot glue gun if you cant get an Iris mount.

What kind of camera do you have?

if you have a small camera like a zone vi or graphic view, lensboards are easily made at home. If you have a larger camera or one that needs unique lensboards, it gets harder.