PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from San Francisco

An Infinite Journey
30-May-2008, 22:24
Howdy All,

My name is Michie Wong and I have recently fallen into this money pit called large format photography. I've arrived here via a canon G2, 10D, 5D, 1D MK III to discovering the magic of Velvia with a Mamiya 645 AFD II (which I have to sell to pay for my 4x5 - :( )

I stumbled upon this forum after my cousin said her friend had a 4x5 for sell. I frantically searched the web for all the information I could digest about this type of camera and settled to keeping only this forum as my main reference. So, I've been lurking for about a month and have purchased a used Arca Swiss 4x5 f-metric (171 standard) with a Rodenstock 150mm f2.8 Sironar-S from Jim at Midwest. I haven't had the guts to actually put a quickload into the camera - I have to seriously think about spending $5 for each sheet for processing... :o but alas I will have to leap over this tiny crack in the sidewalk as I am about to embark upon a 3 week vacation on the east coast with this camera in my backpack.

I've taken landscapes (my preferred), wildlife, floral closeups, and avian. I currently have my first exhibit of 11 landscapes hanging in a local coffee shop for 3 months and will have 2 images as part of a multimedia fine art gallery show for June and July.

I am still learning about composition and exposure and am pleased to find people on this forum are very generous with their knowledge without making noobs like me feel less than worthy.

On the personal side, I was born and raised here in SF and have only left this continent twice to go to France and Germany - and have only left SF to go to college in Southern California for a year and a half. I am a career firefighter with the city and currently am working as a prevention inspector. And one of the main reasons I'm still giving photography a go is my tag line below - oh and the extreme amount of support at home. :D

Thank you for creating such a wonderful community. :cool:

Greg Lockrey
30-May-2008, 22:39
Hey, welcome aboard. It wasn't all that long ago that I was as enthusiastic as you. Coming up to about 45 years now. :) You can learn a lot here since there are some really savvy photographers that contribute freely.

An Infinite Journey
30-May-2008, 23:35
Yes, and you, Greg, are one of them. Thank you for all your wonderful posts.

I look forward to making some awesome photos with my 4x5 and the guidance from this forum. I also look forward to sliding into the lounge occasionally...hee hee :)

John Kasaian
31-May-2008, 08:04
Welcome!
Which coffee shop are you having your exhibition in? I get up there every so often and if possible I'd love to see your photos.

windpointphoto
31-May-2008, 11:49
Howdy All,

My name is Michie Wong and I have recently fallen into this money pit called large format photography.

Ah, but always remember you can sell and recoup most of your money. What you don't get bact is called rental, and it's cheap and fun to play with lots of stuff if you're so inclined. Welcome!

An Infinite Journey
31-May-2008, 15:38
Hi John,
That would be great if you could take a gander and I would love to get an objective critique - the show will be up until June 30 at DeLessio Market and Bakery at 1695 Market Street between Gough & Valencia Streets (next to Flax Art Supplies) - M-F - 7am-7:30pm / Sa-Su - 9am-5:30pm. 7 out of the 11 are printed on metallic paper to help the colors pop. You can preview the images on my website - although the web doesn't do the images any justice... :) .http://www.aninfinitejourney.com

Ralph Barker
31-May-2008, 20:00
Welcome, Michie. I trust your LF adventure will be a most-excellent one.

An Infinite Journey
31-May-2008, 21:39
Hi Ralph -
We'll see, my pack is approaching 40 pounds and the carry on limit is 16 hahahahah :eek:
Cargo pockets and my son's backpack will help if I'm caught hee hee. I think it was Arthur Morris who mentioned in his site - don't stand like it's heavy....

An Infinite Journey
31-May-2008, 21:42
Hi Leonard,
Ah, the fine art of the business - hmmm never thought of classifying the loss as rental - very wise.... With that in mind, I am most definitely sending my AFD II back to Mamiya for it's annual maintenance and cleaning before I sell it.... :)