PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI VC cold light head for Omega D2

mbdiesel
30-May-2008, 17:24
All,

I am new to 4x5 photography. I have been shooting 4x5 for about a year and 35mm, medium format for some time now.

I have Beseler 67s dichro that I have used for some years for non 4x5 work. Since I started dabbling into 4x5, I also purchased an Omega D2V with condensers. I am thinking about upgrading to a cold light head and I was wondering if informed members can offer some help in making a decision.

The options are Aristo with V54 (Lo or HI intensity?) or Zone VI VC cold light head. I am on a budget so mainly I am looking at used equipment. I might have an opportunity to buy the Zone VI VC cold light for $200-$250. Is that a fair price? I looked around but could not find selling price (even on flea bay).

I have read a bit about each choice but still can't decide.

I mainly shoot Fuji Neopan and Tri-x in all format developed in xtol or Pyrocat HD. Printing is mainly on VC papers.

I can continue to use Beseler for 35mm and medium format but I would like to simplify and standardize on only one enlarger and hence the purchase question for the Omega D2 cold light head.

Thanx.
Anil Bharucha

Alan Rabe
31-May-2008, 04:56
I have the Zone VI cold light for the beseler and I love it. If you can get one for 250-300 bucks do it. Mine cost $1200 on ebay. I would also suggest that if you get it contact Calumet and see if you can get a set of replacement bulbs for it. They will cost you about 250 but well worth the knowledge that you are prepared. There is no telling went they won't be available and you can bet one of yours will go out the day after the last one is sold.
However both lights are excellent, the VC gives you more control over contrasts and you don't have to fiddle with filters.