PDA

View Full Version : Birds anybody ???

Miguel Coquis
30-May-2008, 06:28
This ones jumped from their nest three weeks ago. I have been feeding them and now they are ready for their first flight.
Graflex Anniversaire-Aero Ektar
100 asa, scanned neg.

Miguel Coquis
30-May-2008, 10:37
... after shower !!!
100 asa, scanned neg.

Colin Graham
30-May-2008, 10:59
These are great Miguel. What specie of bird is it?

Vaughn
30-May-2008, 11:11
Bird in Hand, 2001
St. John's College, Sante Fe, New Mexico

Zone VI 8x10 with Fuji W 300/5.6
F11 at 1/60, with yellow filter
Ilford HP5

Scanned contact print -- Ilford multigrade fiber probably

Bird is on my hand. The difficult parts were 1) figuring out where to focus and 2) where exactly to stick my hand up as I tripped the shutter.

Vaughn

Asher Kelman
30-May-2008, 11:19
... after shower !!!
100 asa, scanned neg.

These pictures are stunning. I love the effect of the lens. What aperture was it? what are you scanning with and how do you print? Inkjet or enlarger?

Asher

Asher Kelman
30-May-2008, 11:22
Bird in Hand, 2001
St. John's College, Sante Fe, New Mexico

Zone VI 8x10 with Fuji W 300/5.6
F11 at 1/60, with yellow filter
Ilford HP5

Scanned contact print -- Ilford multigrade fiber probably

Bird is on my hand. The difficult parts were 1) figuring out where to focus and 2) where exactly to stick my hand up as I tripped the shutter.

Vaughn

Why not scan the negative then the bird can be enlarged more? How do you get the bird to land on your hand? Bread crumbs?

Also why the yellow filter for the bird and which one? What filter holder do you use.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Vaughn
30-May-2008, 11:42
Why not scan the negative then the bird can be enlarged more? The image is composed as I originally conceived it...my arm and the juniper trees in the background are as much of a part of the image as the bird (or else I would have held the bird closer to the lens. Also I consider myself to be as much as a print-maker as I am an image-maker...thus I prefer to make a print and scan a print than just do neg scans.

How do you get the bird to land on your hand? Bread crumbs? No, sick bird, I believe. I found him/her on the ground...alive but doctile. I set him/her up in the tree after the shot -- hoping it would recover without a cat finding it first.

Also why the yellow filter for the bird and which one? What filter holder do you use. Screw-on filter...just a standard yellow filter (#8?)...one stop filter factor. The filter was used to darken the sky relative to the bird and arm. Not much color in the bird, but I did not want a white sky to compete with the white on the bird.

Vaughn

Miguel Coquis
30-May-2008, 12:13
[QUOTE=- hoping it would recover without a cat finding it first.
Hi Vaughn, me too !
I am waiting until they get stronger before letting them go. Right now, they are starting their first notes... future songs !
Miguel

Miguel Coquis
30-May-2008, 12:17
These are great Miguel. What specie of bird is it?
Hi Colin, glad you like my guests !
This are females "blackbirds".... almost sure.
Females are gray and males black color... will see.

Vaughn
30-May-2008, 12:38
Cute little guys...you might have a couple blackbirds permently hanging around!

Just for laughs, I cropped my bird image -- might not be very clear/large, as I did not save the orignal image as a very big file.

Miguel Coquis
4-Jun-2008, 02:44
...this one came back after two days (I thought he was gone for ever),
so we work a portrait !
speed grafic 3x4, 125 mm f:2
dev +1
scan neg

KenM
4-Jun-2008, 06:00
I don't photograph birds, but here's a fellow who does:

http://www.keithlogan.org/pages/frames.html

For those who want to know, he uses an Arca Swiss 4x5, and has photographed *in* trees :-) I'm not sure of the exact setup, but he has a triggered lighting system that he sets up, along with his camera (on, I assume, a well secured tripod!) - bird flies back to the next, triggers the sensor, and a photograph is made.

He has some truly amazing shots, which are, unfortunately, not all up on his web site.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Jun-2008, 09:46
The Keith Logan shots are pretty remarkable. It's interesting to see someone who is still trying to do bird photography with LF using modern lighting and triggers.

It's very challenging to get any kind of interesting non-captive bird photo in a natural setting with anything larger than 35mm and a long lens. I've tried with the Tech V, 360mm lens, and a 6x7 rollfilm back with larger birds in settings where they were somewhat approachable within 25 feet (I'm usually trying for 15 feet), and the biggest limitation I've found is the top shutter speed of the lens (1/125 sec.). So that means using strobes, which I can do, but I prefer the look of natural light for bird photos.

I suppose there's always Big Bertha, if the shutter thwack doesn't scare off the bird.

Michael Wynd
4-Jun-2008, 16:17
I read once that Elliott Porter used to shoot hummingbirds with a LF camera and a flash unit he built from scratch. I've never seen any of them in print though.
Mike

vinny
4-Jun-2008, 17:21
wehman, 4x5 back, fp4, fujinon 600mm. I think these are herons or egrets?
Somewhere west of Solvang, CA a few months ago.

vinny

David A. Goldfarb
4-Jun-2008, 17:27
I think these are herons or egrets?

vinny

Hard to indentify on the basis of appearance, but cattle egrets congregate in this way in this kind of terrain, and I suspect they're not too unusual in this part of the country.

Vaughn
4-Jun-2008, 20:17
wehman, 4x5 back, fp4, fujinon 600mm. I think these are herons or egrets?

vinny

I'd give them a 97% chance of being egrets...

Vaughn

Colin Graham
5-Jun-2008, 06:38
Don't make me dig up my chicken series...

domenico Foschi
5-Jun-2008, 07:40
210 tessar 3.5
http://i32.tinypic.com/fw092.jpg

Miguel Coquis
5-Jun-2008, 09:49
[QUOTE=domenico Foschi;355917]210 tessar 3.5
... great framing moment !