PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 copy negative camera

greyspecks
30-May-2008, 05:56
To produce 4x5 copy negative's of 12x16 prints, what is the ideal bellows length and lens combo-I'm wondering if it can be done with any 4x5 cam-it has been mentioned my 65-mm Schneider will be okay to use for this, as the bellows bellow's draw will minimal and less column height required..

Any idea's on which copy-stand's to look at?

Greg Lockrey
30-May-2008, 06:02
You need a "flat field" lens like a Schneider Repro-Claron or an 150mm enlarger lens to do it right. You'd "get by" with a normal lens if you stop down but a flat field lens is made for what you want to do. If you have an enlarger, use that to hold your camera but Bencher makes a good copy stand. A pair of polarized lights along with a polarizd lens makes fighting reflections a whole lot easier too.

greyspecks
30-May-2008, 06:18
You need a "flat field" lens like a Scneider Repro-Claron or an 150mm enlarger lens to do it right. You'd "get by" with a normal lens if you stop down but a flat field lens is made for what you want to do. If you have an enlarger, use that to hold your camera but Bencher makes a good copy stand. A pair of polarized lights along with a polarizd lens makes fighting reflections a whole lot easier too.

Thanks for the tip Greg, do Bencher supply the polarised lights as well, if not where else, would I source these from?

Greg Lockrey
30-May-2008, 06:29
Thanks for the tip Greg, do Bencher supply the polarised lights as well, if not where else, would I source these from?

I buy my polarized filters in 20"x10' rolls made by Rosco (these I have found through a lot of trial and error to be the sturdiest for hot lamps) and cut them to 20x30" and place them in front of a pair of lights. I happen to use 750w's Lowel Tota's . I do have a pair of Bencher lights that I liked a lot but they aren't strong enough for very large pieces that I normaly get into. My source is B&H Photo Video here in the States.

Ernest Purdum
30-May-2008, 07:14
Were you in the USA I would suggest the Polaroid MP4 ssystem now available at very low cost on eBay. I don't know about its availability in the UK, however. A DeVere or other 4X5 or larger enlarger should serve as a sturdy stand.

Although shipping cost would seem to rule out buying an MP4 stand from the USA, one of the Tominon lenses and shutters made for the MP4 would be cheap to mail. The 135mm would be a good choice. A 150mm G-Claron would also be very appropriate.

Peter K
30-May-2008, 07:40
With prints and other smooth surfaces there is no need for polarizers. This is only helpful with oil paintings, ceramics and so on. With a copy stand like the MP4 the light comes at 45° so you can use a glass plate to hold the prints flat.

greyspecks
30-May-2008, 08:05
With prints and other smooth surfaces there is no need for polarizers. This is only helpful with oil paintings, ceramics and so on. With a copy stand like the MP4 the light comes at 45° so you can use a glass plate to hold the prints flat.

I had thought to bounce the lamps off reflectors/tin foils!
But then the men in the white coats came..:eek:

Jim Jones
30-May-2008, 09:35
Greyspecks, while a short focal length might be convenient, a longer lens reduces some of the problems of reflections and light fall-off. My choice (based on local availibility and economy) would be an Anniversary model Speed Graphic or similar camera and Kodak 203mm f/7.7 Ektar. A basic press camera with no front tilt and swing and in good alignment maintains its alignment. A fast lens is not required. One can also dispense with both focal plane and front shutters. The camera can be attached to a wall-mounted column. Thus, a basic camera and lens can be dedicated to copy work, leaving your other equipment always available for other photography.

IanG
30-May-2008, 09:58
Greyspace, I used a De Vere Whole plate/half plate/5x4 monorail camera for commercial copy work and mounted it on a De Vere 54a Enlarger chassis. This guaranteed alignment at all magnifications. I used a Xenar and the lens was more than adequate.

It's important to use the right film/developer combination as well, Illford Commercial Ortho in dilute PQ Universal is a brilliant combination for copy work.

Ian

W K Longcor
30-May-2008, 12:19
Lens -- there is a nice Comparon 150mm lens on Ebay right now. Would make a good copy lens (no shutter though) - but it is offered at a good (low) price. (That is the USA Ebay)

IanG
30-May-2008, 12:41
The Componon makes a superb copy lens, I think the lens elements fit straight into a Copal 0 shutter, my Vivitar 150mm VHE is in the UK or I'd try, they are Componon cells in Vivitar barrels and identical optically.

Ian