PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity.....

Michael Graves
29-May-2008, 18:54
What is the difference between the matte black dark slides and the glossy dark slides on film holders? Is one type inherently better than the other? Or is it merely cosmetic?

Glenn Thoreson
29-May-2008, 19:50
No difference in function. It's those clear ones you gotta watch out for. :D

EuGene Smith
29-May-2008, 20:35
What about those plastic ones versus the metal ones when using IR film? Does it make any difference if the holders are wood or plastic?

Eric Woodbury
29-May-2008, 20:40
The matte ones come later. I always guessed the matte ones were lower static electricity, but I don't know. I know that if you don't have a pencil you can write notes on the glossy ones with nose grease. Gross, but it works.

Richard Wall
29-May-2008, 22:54
What about those plastic ones versus the metal ones when using IR film? Does it make any difference if the holders are wood or plastic?

I have been using the lisco regal (plastic) film holders with 4x5 IR film and have not noticed any fogging of the film. However, I try to minimize the amount of time the holders are exposed to bright light while I have infrared loaded in them.

r.

seawolf66
30-May-2008, 04:09
All ways keep a Grease pencil handy for those times when you need to make a note on those holders [white] works best!

Peter K
30-May-2008, 05:46
What IR film? Real IR film isn't aviable anymore since Kodak canceled the production. But wood, specialy in thin layers, is transparent for IR. Also some plastic, but modern filmholders are safe.

Richard Wall
30-May-2008, 16:38
What IR film? Real IR film isn't aviable anymore since Kodak canceled the production.

It's sad but true. I still have a couple of boxes of Kodak HIE in my freezer. Both Efke and Rollei make IR film in 4x5, although, I haven't tried either. I have tried the Macophot IR820c in 120. It doesn't extend into the infrared as far as the HIE. I have shot it with an 87c wratten filter, full sun, rated at ISO 12, and got very little image (film was virtually clear). I had to go to a 89b filter before I was able to get any decent images.

You can find the Efke here:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=1000002383
and the Rollei here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419444-REG/Rollei_8104100_Infrared_4x5_Black_and.html

Richard

Peter K
30-May-2008, 17:03
This so called IR-films are only extended red films, normaly used for traffic surveillance.