PDA

View Full Version : Show off your Large Format camera!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Rory_5244
5-Nov-2014, 16:43
^ Lovely!

Timothy Blomquist
5-Nov-2014, 21:05
My new 5x7. Non-folder, quick to set up. Really liking the format. The image ratio is nice.
With the Ebony 5x7, can you leave the lens in place when the camera is compressed for transport?

Tin Can
6-Nov-2014, 00:13
My new 5x7. Non-folder, quick to set up. Really liking the format. The image ratio is nice.

Ok, now I understand. Great upgrade to a smaller format!

I hope you found the holders you wanted.

5x7 is nice!

Steven Tribe
6-Nov-2014, 04:01
A lot of modern cameras recently, so a good excuse to go back to mahogany, brass and leather!

This 24x30cm German camera (reisekamera) is not busted. It is halfway between the vertical and horizontal settings. The back and bellows turn through 90 degrees around a wooden bearing on the front standard. This makes sense as the cameras are reduced in size and weight, with the width being reduced to 24cm (plus a bit) rather than 30cm (plus). This combination (style and format) is not so common. Strange condition - mahogany, bellows very good, brass, very tarnished.

anfluque
6-Nov-2014, 08:52
Hi friends. This is my LFa camera. Linhof Super Technica V 6x9 of 1964, with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 105mm 1:3.5

Regards

Tin Can
6-Nov-2014, 09:37
Hi friends. This is my LFa camera. Linhof Super Technica V 6x9 of 1964, with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 105mm 1:3.5

Regards

Very nice camera.

I have always wanted one of those. But I have the Horseman copy, so I hope I don't buy another.

konakoa
6-Nov-2014, 11:11
With the Ebony 5x7, can you leave the lens in place when the camera is compressed for transport?

Indeed I do. Compressed there's enough room for a lens to stay on. I almost always have a 180mm on it.

I hand made a case for the camera for transport and protection as well. Canvas and ripstop nylon. Top flips off, camera pulls out to go on tripod. Setup is very quick.

Tin Can
6-Nov-2014, 11:27
Indeed I do. Compressed there's enough room for a lens to stay on. I almost always have a 180mm on it.

I hand made a case for the camera for transport and protection as well. Canvas and ripstop nylon. Top flips off, camera pulls out to go on tripod. Setup is very quick.

Very nice DIY case.

konakoa
6-Nov-2014, 11:56
Very nice DIY case.

Thanks Randy. Did the same thing for my 4x5 monorail. Kept it compact. Only difference is the 4x5 case has compartments inside for holders, extra lenses, etc.

anfluque
6-Nov-2014, 12:17
Very nice camera.

I have always wanted one of those. But I have the Horseman copy, so I hope I don't buy another.

Thanks, Randy. I think the Horseman is a great camera too.

Domingo A. Siliceo
7-Nov-2014, 01:28
This is my Linhof III.

http://i61.tinypic.com/34o29fm.jpg

Ramiro Elena
7-Nov-2014, 02:09
Here you can see I am not very good at diy projects. The box had so many light leaks I had to patch it almost everywhere.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7463/15706744996_e1665f06f6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pVXb5d)
4x5 diy (https://flic.kr/p/pVXb5d) by rabato (https://www.flickr.com/people/71073452@N00/), on Flickr

plaubel
7-Nov-2014, 03:12
Ramiro,

which camera back is used?
It looks thin, and I am searching a thin one for a DIY projekt...

Thanks,
Ritchie

Ramiro Elena
7-Nov-2014, 03:32
It's the Graphic back from a Speed Graphic.

plaubel
7-Nov-2014, 09:26
Thank you..

jesse
7-Nov-2014, 11:29
Shenhao 810 with my 16" 124689Cooke Portrait lens Series II

djdister
7-Nov-2014, 12:32
Shenhao 810 with my 16" 124689Cooke Portrait lens Series II
That looks like a lot of glass hanging off the front standard - how's that hold up for shooting?

Andrew Plume
7-Nov-2014, 12:36
with the lens, it's a lovely looking setup

regards

andrew

Andrew Plume
7-Nov-2014, 12:38
Very nice camera.

yes, it is

and btw, I bought a 970 Horseman ala three lenses the other day

regards

andrew

Vaughn
7-Nov-2014, 12:45
Me and the 14 x 17 - 20 x 24 in Yosemite on the 24th of October.

Sorry we did not have enough sun for you up here, so that you had to go to the Sierras afterwards! ;)

Vaughn

Michael Roberts
7-Nov-2014, 12:50

Great looking case! Would you please share how you constructed it? It looks like there must be something rigid or semi-rigid under the canvas and nylon.....

Rory_5244
7-Nov-2014, 13:37
Your box cam looks lovely, Ramiro. Thanks for sharing it with us!

My Master Tech arrived 2 days ago after a CLA. Yeah, you've all seen these before but here it is anyway. Yes, that's string in the wire-frame (for 6x7). I'm shooting Fuji FP3000B and driving everyone nuts presently.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k532/moobie1/DSCN0199582x800_zps61f8c104.jpg (http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/moobie1/media/DSCN0199582x800_zps61f8c104.jpg.html)

konakoa
7-Nov-2014, 14:32
Great looking case! Would you please share how you constructed it? It looks like there must be something rigid or semi-rigid under the canvas and nylon.....

Thanks Michael! Sure. Don't have any photos when I was building the 5x7, so I'm posting a few from my 4x5 monorail case. They're very similar.

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. The bottom of the bag has two layers of corrugated plastic for extra strength. Side walls are a single layer of sheeting. Canvas and ripstop is sewn around the foam and plastic sandwich and then each finished panel is sewn together end to end. For further support there's a set of straps and webbing completely wrapping around and underneath on the case like a harness. The webbing has metal D-rings for a hand or shoulder strap. Last is a removable dirt and dust cover made of canvas (and waterproofed) on the outside of the case. I stitched everything with a needle and thread. No sewing machine. Took about a week for the 5x7, two weeks for the monorail. Both cases are featherweight, yet strong.

djdister
7-Nov-2014, 20:54
Thanks Michael! Sure. Don't have any photos when I was building the 5x7, so I'm posting a few from my 4x5 monorail case. They're very similar.

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. The bottom of the bag has two layers of corrugated plastic for extra strength. Side walls are a single layer of sheeting. Canvas and ripstop is sewn around the foam and plastic sandwich and then each finished panel is sewn together end to end. For further support there's a set of straps and webbing completely wrapping around and underneath on the case like a harness. The webbing has metal D-rings for a hand or shoulder strap. Last is a removable dirt and dust cover made of canvas (and waterproofed) on the outside of the case. I stitched everything with a needle and thread. No sewing machine. Took about a week for the 5x7, two weeks for the monorail. Both cases are featherweight, yet strong.

That's a great looking case - thanks for sharing your design "secrets"...

Michael Roberts
8-Nov-2014, 05:31
Agree completely. Your DIY cases are simple and elegant. It's hard finding cases/bags that are just the right size. Your solution is an inspiration. Very practical; materials readily available.
Thanks for sharing.

jp
8-Nov-2014, 05:49
That DIY case is very nice!

I used to have some the corrugated plastic as it came free wrapped around a spool for shipping protection. Is it normally available at big box stores? (I used mine all up for flooring and insulation covering in my chicken pen. )

mdarnton
8-Nov-2014, 07:06

The walls are made with corrugated plastic sheeting. Foam is glued to both sides of the sheet for padding. . . . .
That is SOOOOO cool.

konakoa
8-Nov-2014, 14:31
Thank you Dan, Michael R, JP and Michael D. You all flatter me.

That DIY case is very nice!

I used to have some the corrugated plastic as it came free wrapped around a spool for shipping protection. Is it normally available at big box stores? (I used mine all up for flooring and insulation covering in my chicken pen. )

The corrugated sheet I used is sold in art stores for signs and posters. Lightweight and rigid. I've seen similar and heavier see-through corrugated plastic sheet in hardware stores as well. Used in greenhouse panels I believe.

Henrim
11-Nov-2014, 14:00
Just got this half plate Toyo delivered from Japan today. I already had two 4x5 monorails, one that I built myself and a Toyo 45. Most of my photos are taken outdoors and to me a monorail is too cumbersome for that. So sometime ago I decided to get a field camera. Went through the options and I was already set buying a Toyo 45A when I saw this model. Upon realising how light weight it was and how easy it would be to adapt different backs to it I was sold. So I got it and I'm now building a adapter to fit a 4x5 graflok back to it. I also got three half plate holders with the camera so next time I'm ordering film I'll get some of that size too. I bought some unbored lens boards from ebay and waiting for them to be delivered.

http://melaanvuo.com/share/toyo_half_plate.jpg

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 11:29
Here's my DIY lens cap, 2 points if you know what I made it from. It fit well with a tiny bit of adjustment, a bit of felt and a matt board center.

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2014, 12:17
Here's my DIY lens cap, 2 points if you know what I made it from. It fit well with a tiny bit of adjustment, a bit of felt and a matt board center.

Ice cream container lid and what looks like the bottom of a box of print paper.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 12:21
Ice cream container lid and what looks like the bottom of a box of print paper.

Nope.

Only old timers will know that red ring.

Hint. Nearly every darkroom had one.

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2014, 12:27
Nope.

At first glance I thought it was paper, now I see that it's plastic, is that just some kind of dark room red safelight housing?

Bill_1856
14-Nov-2014, 12:28
Nope.

If it's what I think it is, then that must be one HUGE fricking lens!

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 12:28
I will wait a bit for the correct identification.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 12:29
if it's what i think it is, then that must be one huge fricking lens!

lol

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 14:39
I received a PM, correctly identifying the red ring.

Randy, in the above thread what you're using as a lens cap is a Kodak 'beehive' safelight ring. I've had several of those safelights. Took 5 1/2" filters.

Very interesting use of the ring. As Bill said in the thread, that is a huge lens! Clearly ULF. Wow!'

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 16:54
If it's what I think it is, then that must be one HUGE fricking lens!

Bill, I think you knew what it was, so you get 1 point.

Just having fun with ridiculous things!

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2014, 19:49
So I got it right the second time! :)

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 22:01
So I got it right the second time! :)

2 points

andreios
15-Nov-2014, 10:35
Just got this half plate Toyo delivered from Japan today. I already had two 4x5 monorails, one that I built myself and a Toyo 45. Most of my photos are taken outdoors and to me a monorail is too cumbersome for that. So sometime ago I decided to get a field camera. Went through the options and I was already set buying a Toyo 45A when I saw this model. Upon realising how light weight it was and how easy it would be to adapt different backs to it I was sold. So I got it and I'm now building a adapter to fit a 4x5 graflok back to it. I also got three half plate holders with the camera so next time I'm ordering film I'll get some of that size too. I bought some unbored lens boards from ebay and waiting for them to be delivered.

http://melaanvuo.com/share/toyo_half_plate.jpg

Is it the old half-plate (5x7) toyo?

Henrim
15-Nov-2014, 17:28
Is it the old half-plate (5x7) toyo?

Yes, that's it. It came with 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 back. Might consider building a 5x7 back at some point but now I got to finish the 4x5 back and start shooting.

dodphotography
15-Nov-2014, 17:34
Ritter is being used more and more... Which makes me incredibly happy.

Ari
15-Nov-2014, 18:07
Ritter is being used more and more... Which makes me incredibly happy.

Really nice camera, Dan; how rigid is it with heavy lenses, in the wind, etc.?

dodphotography
15-Nov-2014, 18:37
Really nice camera, Dan; how rigid is it with heavy lenses, in the wind, etc.?

I was worried at first... But once you lock all the focus points down, it's solid. I'm happy with my early results. I've used it with the Nikkor 300 M and 120 SW.

karl french
18-Nov-2014, 08:16

10x12 Deardorff from the wrong side of the tracks. Hardware from just about every generation of Deardorffs and ugly but apparently light tight bellows that are about 5 inches shorter than they should be. Complete with a bed plate and latches from the Deardorff banquet camera parts bin.

Taking it for a spin today.

Anyone recognize this camera?

andreios
18-Nov-2014, 08:26
Yes, that's it. It came with 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 back. Might consider building a 5x7 back at some point but now I got to finish the 4x5 back and start shooting.
Thanks. It's a beautiful piece of kit. Are the original half plate holders smaller than the modern ones like Fidelity (which share the external dimensions with 5x7 inch and 13x18cm holders)?

Henrim
18-Nov-2014, 11:19
Thanks. It's a beautiful piece of kit. Are the original half plate holders smaller than the modern ones like Fidelity (which share the external dimensions with 5x7 inch and 13x18cm holders)?

Yes, they are smaller. So it needs a different back for 5/7. I'd like to shoot some half plate size, but there doesn't seem to be many choices available. Actually the only film I know is Webfota from Lumiere-shop.de. Ilford might be cutting the size again at some point. Any pointers to available half plate film are welcome!

andreios
18-Nov-2014, 11:57
That wephota is actually foma 100. It could be obtained from FOMA directly as well.

Ramiro Elena
18-Nov-2014, 12:30
That wephota is actually foma 100. It could be obtained from FOMA directly as well.

It sure isn't priced the same...
I'd love to get some half plate film but it is just too expensive. How do you get it directly from Foma?

Henrim
18-Nov-2014, 14:01

Thanks! I have seen someone mentioning it's actually Foma. But I didn't check Foma website, because the last time I tried (possibly a few years ago...) they did not have a webshop or they didn't sell outside zcech, can't remember which. Even longer ago we tried to order 16mm stock directly from foma but then the minimum order was not within the budget.

andreios
18-Nov-2014, 15:34
It sure isn't priced the same...
I'd love to get some half plate film but it is just too expensive. How do you get it directly from Foma?

I don't know about fotoimpex pricing. I was in touch with the company running wephota brand few months ago and the stuff they were selling was repackaged foma 100. It may have changed but I strongly doubt it. There ain't that many film manufacturers nowadays...

As for foma - I get it either from their eshop or simply via telephone order. A box of 50 sheets of half plate film costs just under 50€. If any of you guys really want that, let me know, I can order it for you and forward it to you just for the price of film + shipping. I've been doing this for some time for a few friends around Europe.

Peter De Smidt
18-Nov-2014, 15:36

What a terrific job on this case.

Peter De Smidt
18-Nov-2014, 15:52
Linhof Kardan Color. Last iteration I think.

Took me a while to put a nice one together. Wish the tripod matched the dolly and camera, but it's a great studio rig. Does 1 to 1 with 480 mm Ronar.

I have taken it on location, but never again. I have more parts for the tripod and can lift the camera about 8 feet up.

That's a great look'n setup, Randy.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Nov-2014, 15:55
Is this thread for only our home-made cameras?

Ari
18-Nov-2014, 15:59
Is this thread for only our home-made cameras?

No sir, it is for any LF camera you happen to own.

Ramiro Elena
18-Nov-2014, 16:12
The price of half plate film looks reasonable compared to 5x7.
The 8x10 however is more expensive than the store down the street from my house... How is this possible? More at the factory than the store??

I don't know about fotoimpex pricing. I was in touch with the company running wephota brand few months ago and the stuff they were selling was repackaged foma 100. It may have changed but I strongly doubt it. There ain't that many film manufacturers nowadays...

As for foma - I get it either from their eshop or simply via telephone order. A box of 50 sheets of half plate film costs just under 50€. If any of you guys really want that, let me know, I can order it for you and forward it to you just for the price of film + shipping. I've been doing this for some time for a few friends around Europe.

andreios
18-Nov-2014, 16:42
The price of half plate film looks reasonable compared to 5x7.
The 8x10 however is more expensive than the store down the street from my house... How is this possible? More at the factory than the store??

Well, Foma sometimes does have strange prices... I have in past bought Foma film in Germany as well rather than at the factory.. But what you can't beat is the paper offer - and e.g. the option of buying some not-so-standard combinations like 532 in rolls or similar...

Henrim
18-Nov-2014, 17:02
Thanks again Andrej, I bought a pack of 50 sheets from the Foma shop. I was going to grab two packs but apparently they only had one in stock.

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 09:15
In a perfect world, everybody would own these:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030187-2_zps498a82f2.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030187-2_zps498a82f2.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030185-2_zpsf51eac3d.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030185-2_zpsf51eac3d.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030184-2_zpsf5106b33.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030184-2_zpsf5106b33.jpg.html)

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 09:16
http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030182-2_zpsc11ffcb0.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030182-2_zpsc11ffcb0.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030181-2_zps75d5081d.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030181-2_zps75d5081d.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030179-2_zps6913b5bf.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030179-2_zps6913b5bf.jpg.html)

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2014, 09:54

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030187-2_zps498a82f2.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030187-2_zps498a82f2.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030185-2_zpsf51eac3d.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030185-2_zpsf51eac3d.jpg.html)

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r790/Ari4000/P1030184-2_zpsf5106b33.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Ari4000/media/P1030184-2_zpsf5106b33.jpg.html)

What I think is that it depends on the individual, personally I don't think I would want to own either that camera or that lens, because for me lightweight is the way to go, and I hike with my camera so I'm very happy with the 8 x 10 that I own that is much lighter than this, but it's a beautiful machine and I'm glad that you're able to enjoy it and make beautiful photographs with it.

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 10:55
What I think is that it depends on the individual, personally I don't think I would want to own either that camera or that lens, because for me lightweight is the way to go, and I hike with my camera so I'm very happy with the 8 x 10 that I own that is much lighter than this, but it's a beautiful machine and I'm glad that you're able to enjoy it and make beautiful photographs with it.

If people say "The sky is falling!" do you immediately run for cover, too? :)

As others have done here, I'm showcasing what I love in LF cameras/lenses, a personal preference.

andreios
19-Nov-2014, 11:00
Don't do this to me, Ari, please... I am lately gnawed by idea of replacing my wooden 8x10 with a "heavy metal" piece like this one...

Ramiro Elena
19-Nov-2014, 11:02
I have the 4x5 Toyo. It was my first 4x5 camera and what I had at school to begin with. I've always loved this camera despite its limitations. It can't focus very close and doesn't have a whole lot of movements but it is so well built and compact.
I've always thought of having the 8x10 version. I imagine it is quite similar except for the weight.

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 11:03
Don't do this to me, Ari, please... I am lately gnawed by idea of replacing my wooden 8x10 with a "heavy metal" piece like this one...

Heh, heh...come to the dark (and slightly heavier) side...

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 11:07
I have the 4x5 Toyo. It was my first 4x5 camera and what I had at school to begin with. I've always loved this camera despite its limitations. It can't focus very close and doesn't have a whole lot of movements but it is so well built and compact.
I've always thought of having the 8x10 version. I imagine it is quite similar except for the weight.

Well, the weight is an issue (not for me-yet), and it is one or two cm larger in volume than most other 8x10 cameras; the trade-off is increased precision, stability and ruggedness.
And it's 96% fire-proof!

andreios
19-Nov-2014, 12:23
Heh, heh...come to the dark (and slightly heavier) side...

Well, I don't suppose there'd be too much weight difference between the toyo and my triple extension Tachihara...

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 14:01
Well, I don't suppose there'd be too much weight difference between the toyo and my triple extension Tachihara...

The 810M weighs just over 7kg (16lbs), is the Tachihara in the same weight class?

andreios
19-Nov-2014, 14:28
The 810M weighs just over 7kg (16lbs), is the Tachihara in the same weight class?

Triple ext. Tachi is 14 pounds. not that much of a difference...

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2014, 14:49

That's almost 2 of my 8x10's in weight hehe.

But fire proof is handy if you're shooting in California forests :)

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 14:49
I didn't realize the Tachi was 14lbs. thanks for letting us know.
The 810M is a very worthy camera if weight is not a big issue.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104988-Pros-amp-Cons-of-Toyo-810M

djdister
19-Nov-2014, 17:04

Getting a beautiful Cooke lens is a slam dunk, however I think the choice of camera model is less universal due to the variety of personal shooting preferences. I will admit the Toyo 810 is a very nice camera.

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 18:38
The Cooke is borrowed from a friend, so what I meant was that money should not be an obstacle - in a perfect world.

William Whitaker
19-Nov-2014, 19:29
Nice friends you have, Ari. :)

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 19:30
I'd be happy to introduce you to them, Will. :)

William Whitaker
19-Nov-2014, 19:51
That might require a Kickstarter campaign. ;)

Tin Can
19-Nov-2014, 19:59
Good idea, KickStart all of us, one at a time, into a better camera and lens.

Ari
19-Nov-2014, 20:05
Crowdfunding for better cameras or better friends? :)

Tin Can
19-Nov-2014, 22:56
I like my friends just fine, better lenses actually.

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2014, 23:01
Camera in action...

Results...

Cor
20-Nov-2014, 01:10
Nice Ari!

I own exactly the same beast, but regretfully it sees little use these days. I find contact prints less rewarding than 4*5 enlargements made in the darkroom. Initially I bought the Toyo for alt prints, mainly platinum prints, but perhaps it's sacrilege and or my lack of talent in platinum printing but I have not been able to produce brilliant Pt prints which really satisfy me.

But when I work with the camera it's an absolute joy to work with: rigid, solid and precise. A friend of my owns a Canham but it's no comparison in rigidity, it's in weight off course is half of mine.

I transport it in this:

http://www.rijwielhandeldewit.nl/Online/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/keuze-bakfiets.png

Best,

Cor

Ari
20-Nov-2014, 07:46
Thank you, Cor; you helped enormously when I was deciding upon the 810M, thank you again.
Like you, I find it a real pleasure using the Toyo, the weight doesn't make any difference to me, and it is ultra-stable with most of the movements you might need.
Next time, though, I'd like to hear that you have been using it almost daily!
Nice transportation set-up you have, too.

William Whitaker
20-Nov-2014, 09:52
Variation on a theme. Just another Cooke. This is the Series XV, the old version of the XVa on a Gandolfi 8x10.

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/cooke_gandolfi_03.jpg

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/cooke_gandolfi_01.jpg

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/cooke_gandolfi_02.jpg

Ari
20-Nov-2014, 10:22
Sweet! And you have the lens hood, too!

William Whitaker
20-Nov-2014, 10:31
Yes, that hood is a bit unusual, I've heard.

djdister
20-Nov-2014, 10:31
Variation on a theme. Just another Cooke. This is the Series XV, the old version of the XVa on a Gandolfi 8x10.

Wow, nice setup! I'll bet that stops traffic...

Dave Wooten
20-Nov-2014, 12:04
Will has the coolest stuff;)

William Whitaker
20-Nov-2014, 12:10
...and no money :rolleyes:

Tin Can
20-Nov-2014, 12:34
Lol :)

...and no money :rolleyes:

dodphotography
24-Nov-2014, 16:28
In Ogunquit, Maine...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10448781_733026310114107_503521420226650673_n.jpg?oh=ff13e3e889e068f3eea46f9dd7cd1909&oe=55143B90&__gda__=1428087232_602f21738897851b8fc4bf89e9781626

Zappa und de kleine Tiger
28-Nov-2014, 13:25
Bonjour,

this is our 24 x 30,5 cm wooden camera…

Salut,

by Zappa and the Little Tiger (…says big is cool!)

StoneNYC
28-Nov-2014, 13:43
Bonjour,

this is our 24 x 30,5 cm wooden camera…

Salut,

by Zappa and the Little Tiger (…says big is cool!)

Beautiful camera and beautiful scenery!

Primo I.
29-Nov-2014, 11:54
I recently was lucky enough to find this on Craigslist. I could not pass it up since it came with an Emil Busch No. 2 Ser. D f/8 lens in excellent condition. I posted a before an after of the camera after cleaning it up.125742 This Gundlach Korona 4x5 is extremely light and practical for outdoor use.125740125741

Steven Tribe
29-Nov-2014, 12:48
Beautiful camera and beautiful scenery!

This is scenary that I see every month on a drive to a weekend cottage. Acres and acres of badly managed and seriously damaged (in this example) conifer plantations. When the trees are harvested, the desolation is even worse the next 5 years. Fortunately, the peak of mono-culture/maximum returns "forests" has passed!

Camera is 24x30.0 cm, by the way.

antonio.serralheiro
29-Nov-2014, 14:05
My 3 LF (4x5) cameras, left to right: Cambo SC, MPP and Precision Pinhole.

Lane Pelissier
30-Nov-2014, 09:38
My new Chamonix 4X5 in the Rio Grande gorge outside Taos New Mexico.

jp
8-Dec-2014, 20:15
At Birch Point Beach State Park today when it was almost dark. I was shooting 1s time at f5.6 on tmy2; not much light.... Notice no shorts or sandals... Tiltall will work, but it's less than I'd recommend for 8x10 camera. I couldn't find my surveying tripod I usually use for 8x10; it's probably at work with the transits.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15793136790_da9bd38270_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/q4zXkU)
IMG_20141208_154857 (https://flic.kr/p/q4zXkU) by philbrookjason (https://www.flickr.com/people/13759696@N02/), on Flickr

B&J 8x10 I think it was built blond rather than stripped of gray. Kodak 305 portrait attached.

Robert H
9-Dec-2014, 16:10
The quality and finish on the original Sinar Norma makes it obvious this instrument was made by Swiss watchmakers.

Ken Lee
9-Dec-2014, 19:12
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15793136790_da9bd38270_b.jpg

Beautiful camera.

It must have been cold for that Mainer to wear trousers !

Ari
9-Dec-2014, 19:19
The quality and finish on the original Sinar Norma makes it obvious this instrument was made by Swiss watchmakers.

Agreed, and nice shots of your camera!

andreios
10-Dec-2014, 00:06

True, and I do love mine... But why do you put the Sinar head on top of another head?

Corran
21-Dec-2014, 11:17
Shooting some old glass yesterday on the Chamonix (90mm Angulon) so since I was finishing up a roll in my Nikon SP as well I popped on an ancient Contax 50mm f/2 collapsible lens that I bought for a song on eBay some time ago. It's old as dirt, has lots of cleaning marks, but it's a cool lens. Shot this at f/2.8 on Kodak EC400:

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/cham90.jpg

Robert H
21-Dec-2014, 21:39
Although it may seem illogical to some, I do have my reasons. Easier access to standard position adjustments are one.

StoneNYC
22-Dec-2014, 15:26
Hopefully my camera will be able to capture more than my cell phone has...on this 1 hour exposure... Can't wait to get those boxes of Fuji Acros100 in from Japan, this 1 hour exposure on HP5+ would have been 4 minutes with Acros100!!!

mrjones
22-Dec-2014, 20:14
A new to me Toyo 45AII. This thing is upending everything I thought I knew about photography... in a good way.

Pali K
23-Dec-2014, 09:54
Don't think I have shared this yet. An early version of Sinar Norma 4x5

http://40.media.tumblr.com/fd4a093b1dd1e5dd0787e118095b571c/tumblr_nbrq4cvaRw1qabfljo1_1280.jpg

beachgurl715
23-Dec-2014, 12:38
My boyfriend just got me this awesome Seroco 5x7 circa 1901. I've used 4x5 a lot yet have never owned a large format. Very proud of this baby127074127072

Sirius Glass
23-Dec-2014, 14:18
beachgurl715 welcome to Large Format Photography

StoneNYC
23-Dec-2014, 20:47
My boyfriend just got me this awesome Seroco 5x7 circa 1901. I've used 4x5 a lot yet have never owned a large format. Very proud of this baby127074127072

Awesome!!!!!

Tin Can
24-Dec-2014, 17:43
This the 4X5 Gowlandflex I bought here.

I found a Horseman viewing hood, the paint is exactly the same, easily modified to fit. Since it has a mirror and the camera has a mirror, the image is upside down as it should be!

Fitted up 2 210mm Calter f6.8 lens in shutter on custom lens boards.

This has the vertical only OE Grafloc back.

According to the Gowland website, this exact setup with these economy lenses was $1635 in 1989.

Focus matches on the 2 GG. I will upgrade the 5X5" viewing GG soon, perhaps fit the optional 210mm f5.6 Sironars.

It'a actually very light weight at 8 lbs 11 oz as pictured.

pierre506
24-Dec-2014, 17:56
It's a temptation, Randy~

Kirk Gittings
24-Dec-2014, 17:59

I found a Horseman viewing hood, the paint is exactly the same, easily modified to fit. Since it has a mirror and the camera has a mirror, the image is upside down as it should be!

Fitted up 2 210mm Calter f6.8 lens in shutter on custom lens boards.

This has the vertical only OE Grafloc back.

According to the Gowland website, this exact setup with these economy lenses was $1635 in 1989.

Focus matches on the 2 GG. I will upgrade the 5X5" viewing GG soon, perhaps fit the optional 210mm f5.6 Sironars.

It'a actually very light weight at 8 lbs 11 oz as pictured.

Cool Randy.

Oren Grad
24-Dec-2014, 18:46
Focus matches on the 2 GG.

Well done!

Ari
24-Dec-2014, 19:11

Badass!

David A. Goldfarb
25-Dec-2014, 10:34
Well done, Randy!

Winger
25-Dec-2014, 17:23
Here's my Chamonix F1 at a nearby river last fall. The shots I took with it that day were unremarkable, but I love the camera.

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Dec-2014, 22:21
Really cool, Randy.

m

David Karp
25-Dec-2014, 23:33
Randy, you are going to have some fun with that camera!

djdister
31-Dec-2014, 16:41
Canham MQC 5x7 camera and Fujinon-W 180mm lens, near C&O Canal, Williamsport, MD.

Tin Can
31-Dec-2014, 17:33
Canham MQC 5x7 camera and Fujinon-W 180mm lens, near C&O Canal, Williamsport, MD.

Very nice!

chassis
1-Jan-2015, 13:57
A new to me Toyo 45AII. This thing is upending everything I thought I knew about photography... in a good way.

Congratulations mrjones, enjoy your camera! I love my 45AII and it has allowed me to progress as a photographer and artist. I hope your does also.

B. Powers
7-Jan-2015, 06:09
My Calumet 4x5 in the studio. I was given the camera a couple of years ago along with case, a 150/256mm convertible schneider kreuznach lens, a 200mm congo lens and a box of accessories. Going to finally get around to using this weekend!

127673 127674 127675

Corran
7-Jan-2015, 09:35
B. Powers - from Valdosta?

B. Powers
7-Jan-2015, 12:19
Yes Bryan! The same.

Corran
7-Jan-2015, 12:21
Cool!

fishbulb
7-Jan-2015, 20:40
Not nearly as cool as a Sinar Norma, but here is my Sinar F with Nikkor-W 360mm f/6.5 and monorail extension. It's focused about 3m away. Mounted on Acratech Large Leveling Base and Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber tripod.

FrankS
7-Jan-2015, 20:56
Homemade 4x5 box in box camera, with 90 f8 Angulon. Salvaged graflok back on the ... back.

It's painted black now, with a handle on top.

I have to fix light leaks between the camera and the back.

SMBooth
15-Jan-2015, 03:22
Recently restored 8x10 Kodak 2D

128120 128121

Andrew Plume
15-Jan-2015, 03:36
great work Shane, should be really pleased with this

regards
andrew

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2015, 08:59
Recently restored 8x10 Kodak 2D

128120 128121

What a beauty. But that's the biggest pinhole I've ever seen

fishbulb
15-Jan-2015, 09:57
Very nice! Beautiful wood and brass restoration.

Don't forget to plug the small holes in the lens board before you use it. Judging by the "photo mistakes" thread this is a pretty common cause of light leaks.

Tin Can
15-Jan-2015, 13:26
What a beauty. But that's the biggest pinhole I've ever seen

Very soft focus.

Michael Roberts
15-Jan-2015, 15:23
Looks great!

StoneNYC
16-Jan-2015, 17:45
SMBooth, gorgeous!!!

It's not the camera exactly, but it's the reducing back I just got! :)

rskura
17-Jan-2015, 23:30
I purchased this camera from a local camera shop in Edmonton. I have never used a large format camera before, so I have been reading (a lot on this forum) the vast amount of information available to help me learn. I haven't made an image yet, because I'm awaiting my film that I ordered earlier this week. I have shot medium format before and developed my own B&W and color negatives. So I also have to get familiar with the differences in developing sheet film. My plan is to use trays. Anyway, I will also say hello here and thank everyone for sharing all the good advice and information. It's very nice to have a very useful resource like this site.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7486/16118877930_4ba47d0db2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qynsQs)
Graflex Graphic View II (https://flic.kr/p/qynsQs)
by rskura (https://www.flickr.com/people/30801810@N08/), on Flickr

Tin Can
17-Jan-2015, 23:43
I purchased this camera from a local camera shop in Edmonton. I have never used a large format camera before, so I have been reading (a lot on this forum) the vast amount of information available to help me learn. I haven't made an image yet, because I'm awaiting my film that I ordered earlier this week. I have shot medium format before and developed my own B&W and color negatives. So I also have to get familiar with the differences in developing sheet film. My plan is to use trays. Anyway, I will also say hello here and thank everyone for sharing all the good advice and information. It's very nice to have a very useful resource like this site.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7486/16118877930_4ba47d0db2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qynsQs)
Graflex Graphic View II (https://flic.kr/p/qynsQs)
by rskura (https://www.flickr.com/people/30801810@N08/), on Flickr

Such a pretty wonderful camera. Very nice condition.

Welcome to LF mania!

Nikonowicz
18-Jan-2015, 01:03
My Homemade 3d printed 4x5 - 2.75 pounds and cost me ~ 150$. 128236

Tin Can
18-Jan-2015, 01:13
And a couple years of school I bet.

It's very nice, we look forward to your further work.

Congratulations!

Nikonowicz
18-Jan-2015, 01:38
And a couple years of school I bet.

It's very nice, we look forward to your further work.

Congratulations!

Actually in the way of formal training I had one class in high school and another one semester long class in College that set me in the direction of being able to 3d model. I filled in the rest of the gaps - the largest gap being the whole 3d printing debacle. My formal schooling in College is in Fine Art with an emphasis in Photography. The engineering/3d modeling interests I have are - unfortunately - mostly a hobby. Thank you all the same though!

Andrew Plume
18-Jan-2015, 03:25
Richard, Hi

welcome to the (excellent) Forum, that's a lovely Graphic View - Minor White used one of these

regards
andrew

mdarnton
18-Jan-2015, 07:15
Karsh used a Graphic view on the road, too. Many of his industrial shots were done with one. I was given one, and keep thinking about selling it, but it's too nice of a camera to get rid of. They certainly don't sell for their intrinsic value as cameras! Some of the 70s vintage Japanese view cameras are direct rip-offs of the design, too.

It's small and very sturdy, and I take it on car trips by pushing the ends together and dropping it into a messenger bag, rail up sticking out the ends of the bag. Two or three small lenses and two Grafmatics, and I'm off. The hood on the back is handy, too; protection and light hood, both. Plus, the thing is gorgeous. The ONLY thing it doesn't do well is wide angle lenses, since the board is small and the original sunken boards will only take the smallest shutters. Really it was made for the 90mm Raptar and not much else.

Rskura, if the standards move (straighten up and change focus) when you tighten the locks, slide something under the loose trapezoidal plate that is the next thing from the bottom on the bottom of the standards, underneath. This will lift that plate against the bottom of the rail and take the slop out. Very thin stiff plastic or card stock, and cut a slot for the focus mechanism to go through, so you can push it all the way in--once you get it in, it will stay. You want to take out all the slop that you can without making the focusing stiff, so don't just jam in as much as you can fit. This really helps, fixing the one single weakness of this camera.

Ken Lee
18-Jan-2015, 08:06
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/2015-01-x01.jpg
Sinar P with old Tessar
January 2015

IanG
18-Jan-2015, 08:49
You like your Tessars Ken :D I have to admit to having a few as well.

Ian

rskura
20-Jan-2015, 13:39
Rskura, if the standards move (straighten up and change focus) when you tighten the locks, slide something under the loose trapezoidal plate that is the next thing from the bottom on the bottom of the standards, underneath. This will lift that plate against the bottom of the rail and take the slop out. Very thin stiff plastic or card stock, and cut a slot for the focus mechanism to go through, so you can push it all the way in--once you get it in, it will stay. You want to take out all the slop that you can without making the focusing stiff, so don't just jam in as much as you can fit. This really helps, fixing the one single weakness of this camera.

Thanks for the great advice! Right now there doesn't appear to be too much play in the standards, but I can see by the design how this could be a problem. It's great to know there is an easy solution for that. I'm sure I will run into some other issues along the way to learning this camera. Great to have help! Thanks!

moltogordo
24-Jan-2015, 09:07
I'm really only a dabbler in 4x5. I went though a time when I was getting into it, and then a move and job kept me from much serious work.

Here's my one and only large format camera at present. Started off with a 4x5 Calumet and a 150mm f5.6 Nikkor. Kept the Nikkor and bought a Toyo 45A. Preferred the Calumet, in fact. Can't say why, but I just liked the monorail. Now have what I consider a compromise, and I'm pretty happy. Use the 56x72mm back frequently as well. Pretty much only use HP5 with both the back and large format film, and use HC110 at 1:63 for 12 minutes as a standard development in both formats. A shot from a number of years ago shows the tonality I get with this combination. This was taken with the Toyo. I have unfortunately only 56mmx72mm format pictures from my Linhof, which is in fact a fairly recent purchase. It's shown with the 90mm Schneider, which is why I put the camera forward on the rail - I don't have a recessed lens board. I also have a 150mm f5.6 Linhof select, which is on the camera right now.

I'm also pretty interested in doing some contact printing with a 5x7, which I don't own. I know the 8x10 would be the preference of most, but I just simply have this bug in my bonnet to do 5x7. Maybe I'll find an old Cambo with both backs on day! I do have a 5x7 pinhole camera (unused at this point) and six 5x7 film holders, so I'm partway there! Might try the pinhole soon. I just bought it because it was there and cheap . . .

http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/134786979.jpg

A scenic near Cache Creek, BC.

http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/158771047.jpg

Luis-F-S
24-Jan-2015, 09:21
A pair of V5's, one from 1951 Ser # 122 on left refinished by Ken Hough in 1992 & one from 1987 Ser # 220x on right purchased new from Jack & assembled by Ken.

Larry Kellogg
24-Jan-2015, 09:49
Beautiful, Luis. Those are Specials and can shoot 5x7, right?

Ari
24-Jan-2015, 09:57

I love these cameras; very nice example.

Do you process HP5 for 12 minutes? I use the same dilution of HC-110, but I process for only 7.5 minutes.
Very good photo, all the same.

Tin Can
24-Jan-2015, 10:15
I'm really only a dabbler in 4x5. I went though a time when I was getting into it, and then a move and job kept me from much serious work.

Here's my one and only large format camera at present. Started off with a 4x5 Calumet and a 150mm f5.6 Nikkor. Kept the Nikkor and bought a Toyo 45A. Preferred the Calumet, in fact. Can't say why, but I just liked the monorail. Now have what I consider a compromise, and I'm pretty happy. Use the 56x72mm back frequently as well. Pretty much only use HP5 with both the back and large format film, and use HC110 at 1:63 for 12 minutes as a standard development in both formats. A shot from a number of years ago shows the tonality I get with this combination. This was taken with the Toyo. I have unfortunately only 56mmx72mm format pictures from my Linhof, which is in fact a fairly recent purchase. It's shown with the 90mm Schneider, which is why I put the camera forward on the rail - I don't have a recessed lens board. I also have a 150mm f5.6 Linhof select, which is on the camera right now.

I'm also pretty interested in doing some contact printing with a 5x7, which I don't own. I know the 8x10 would be the preference of most, but I just simply have this bug in my bonnet to do 5x7. Maybe I'll find an old Cambo with both backs on day! I do have a 5x7 pinhole camera (unused at this point) and six 5x7 film holders, so I'm partway there! Might try the pinhole soon. I just bought it because it was there and cheap . . .

I think those Linfofs are very pretty, almost un -German as they have Italian style.

I have the baby Kardon Color which shoots native 6x9/6.5/9.

It looks just like yours, but the rear standard is smaller.

William Whitaker
24-Jan-2015, 16:59
http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Norma810_01.jpg

I finally got off my duff and had a new bellows made for my 8x10 Sinar Norma. The rear standard was afflicted with the oxidation that so many of these seem to suffer. So I rolled up my sleeves and disassembled the rear standard and sanded it lightly with some 240 wet-or-dry. A messy job, but it worked. Having scraped her hull clear of barnacles, I reassembled her, on the way lubricating carefully some moving parts that had gummed up over her many years. Aye, now she's a delight to sail and she steers true!

That's a Ross rapid rectilinear shown. It's marked Extreme Rapid Universal Symmetrical, 12x10. An f/6 design, it's a lovely lens; the focal length measures about 17 1/2 inches from the iris.

The Norma is good for that lens and several other barrel lenses I have since I can use the Sinar/Copal shutter with it and make accurate exposures without having to resort to expensive machine work. And besides, she brings out my inner Rube Goldberg...

Ari
24-Jan-2015, 18:29
Fair she be, says I!

William Whitaker
24-Jan-2015, 18:40
Arrrgghhhh!!

moltogordo
24-Jan-2015, 21:06
Art - I do 10 -12 minutes, yes, depending on subject. I expose at 400, develop at 20C, agitate 2 inversions every minute. 2 rolls 35mm or 1 roll 35mm and 1 roll 120 per tank. My negatives are probably a touch overdeveloped but they print very well. I've been doing this as long as I can remember. I also print on a diffuser type colorhead enlarger.

Ari
24-Jan-2015, 21:10
Art - I do 10 -12 minutes, yes, depending on subject. I expose at 400. My negatives are probably a touch overdeveloped but they print very well. I've been doing this as long as I can remember. I also print on a diffuser type enlarger and use grade 3 paper as a standard.

Well, it looks great, and as long as it works for you, that's all that matters.
What struck me was the difference in processing times we both use.
I process on a motorized base and expose it at 200 or 250, so those may be the reasons why I develop for a much shorter time.

djdister
25-Jan-2015, 16:29
Canham MQC 5x7 camera with Canham 6x17 Motorized Roll Film Back, 90mm Super-Angulon lens.

Tin Can
25-Jan-2015, 16:31
Canham MQC 5x7 camera with Canham 6x17 Motorized Roll Film Back, 90mm Super-Angulon lens.

Nice stand off, Tree vs Metal.

Great setup!

brittphoto
25-Jan-2015, 16:51
my "new" Sinar P2, set up for 3/4 portrait with Nikon f9 450mm lens. I've had the ball joint head so long i don't know who made it and I like it better than the Sinar pan tilt head. Not a glamour shot at all : ) hmmm not able to upload the file?

Ari
25-Jan-2015, 17:13
My Toyo 810M with new red bellows:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7492/16344969305_dd6c7bc76b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qUmeVB)

William Whitaker
25-Jan-2015, 17:25
She's all dressed up for Valentine's!

Shootar401
26-Jan-2015, 21:43
A few days ago

Kuzano
27-Jan-2015, 06:00
http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Norma810_01.jpg

I finally got off my duff and had a new bellows made for my 8x10 Sinar Norma. The rear standard was afflicted with the oxidation that so many of these seem to suffer. So I rolled up my sleeves and disassembled the rear standard and sanded it lightly with some 240 wet-or-dry. A messy job, but it worked. Having scraped her hull clear of barnacles, I reassembled her, on the way lubricating carefully some moving parts that had gummed up over her many years. Aye, now she's a delight to sail and she steers true!

Aye Matey! Yur a Nautical lad. Nice hull!

That's a Ross rapid rectilinear shown. It's marked Extreme Rapid Universal Symmetrical, 12x10. An f/6 design, it's a lovely lens; the focal length measures about 17 1/2 inches from the iris.

The Norma is good for that lens and several other barrel lenses I have since I can use the Sinar/Copal shutter with it and make accurate exposures without having to resort to expensive machine work. And besides, she brings out my inner Rube Goldberg...

Aye Mate! Yur a Nautical Lad. Nice Hull.

Michael Graves
27-Jan-2015, 06:16
My Toyo 810M with new red bellows:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7492/16344969305_dd6c7bc76b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qUmeVB)

That's sweet! I gotta get red bellows for mine!

Ari
27-Jan-2015, 06:32
Thanks, Michael; bellows are of very good quality, too, I might add.

Keith Pitman
27-Jan-2015, 15:23
My "Shen-Dorff 4x10." I bought a Shen-Hao 4x10 back from another forum member and adapted it to fit my Deardorff V8. The light trap step on the Shen-Hao back was an almost perfect fit and needed just a little planning (the Deardorff was out of square). The Shen-Hao back was about a 1/2" too large in both dimensions. I cut it down on the table saw, smoothed out the edges, finished it, and added the pins. It works great and it's much easier to make verticals than with a dedicated 4x10.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/kapitman/IMG_1457_zps7b0ad0de.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/user/kapitman/media/IMG_1457_zps7b0ad0de.jpg.html)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/kapitman/IMG_1455_zps54bea285.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/user/kapitman/media/IMG_1455_zps54bea285.jpg.html)

djdister
27-Jan-2015, 16:10
My "Shen-Dorff 4x10." I bought a Shen-Hao 4x10 back from another forum member and adapted it to fit my Deardorff V8. The light trap step on the Shen-Hao back was an almost perfect fit and needed just a little planning (the Deardorff was out of square). The Shen-Hao back was about a 1/2" too large in both dimensions. I cut it down on the table saw, smoothed out the edges, finished it, and added the pins. It works great and it's much easier to make verticals than with a dedicated 4x10.

Very nice, have you posted any shots made from it yet?

Phil Hudson
27-Jan-2015, 17:01
Nice match Keith - glad it worked out!

Phil

IanG
28-Jan-2015, 10:56
I decided to start shooting 7x5 a month or so before Christmas and bought a Seneca Improved View which came with a City View for parts.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/senecaimproved1.jpg

For Ken Lee here's the same camera with a 1919 210mm f4.5 CZJ Tessar.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/senecatessar.jpg

The City View has no back, is missing some metal work as well as part of the fronts standard but I;m making parts bto take Linhof/Wista lens boards.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/senecacityview2.jpg

Since then I've bought another City View for parts and it just needs bellows.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/senecacityview.jpg

Ian

John Layton
30-Jan-2015, 08:55
One of five Layton L-45A prototypes (one modified to 5x7). Patented, several awards garnered, blah, blah. Actually a long saga - which I will soon share! I'll also give some specs. For now - here are some pix. I'll post with more info later, either here or in the DIY section. Moderator: No Commercial Interest at this point! (I've gotta get a life!)128706128707128708128709

Ari
30-Jan-2015, 09:14
Gorgeous and it looks like it is rock-steady.
My jaw just dropped; beautiful work, John!

Ken Lee
30-Jan-2015, 09:22
For Ken Lee here's the same camera with a 1919 210mm f4.5 CZJ Tessar.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/senecatessar.jpg

Yeah baby !

Tin Can
30-Jan-2015, 09:28
One of five Layton L-45A prototypes (one modified to 5x7). Patented, several awards garnered, blah, blah. Actually a long saga - which I will soon share! I'll also give some specs. For now - here are some pix. I'll post with more info later, either here or in the DIY section. Moderator: No Commercial Interest at this point! (I've gotta get a life!)128706128707128708128709

Really like the handle and the smooth standards/base. Very nice looking metal camera.

Taija71A
30-Jan-2015, 09:59

__

When I just googled 'Layton L-45A'... This was the very first 'hit'. :(

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00YqyN

_________

Sal Santamaura
30-Jan-2015, 10:56
...No Commercial Interest at this point!...

Really like the handle and the smooth standards/base. Very nice looking metal camera.

...When I just googled 'Layton L-45A'... This was the very first 'hit'. :(

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00YqyN...Yes, despite that being a very nice design, John's accepting $500 deposits and never delivering cameras did leave a number of people longing for Dick Phillips' business model. :)

See Kerry Thalmann's L-45A prototype review in the November/December 2004 View Camera issue. I might add that, if its weight isn't much greater than the 4x5, a 5x7 version would be even more attractive.

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 10:56
Well John did say he would have a further story to tell on it at a later time, so I'll await his side of things before I pass judgement, still better than the Deardorff saga... at least john is active somewhere and not completely hidden away.

It seems not responding to emails is a thing that happens when you get overwhelmed, I always thought it was just being a jerk, but I suppose it can also be a sign of the weight of the world being too much for you...

Looking forward to the full story.

__

When I just googled 'Layton L-45A'... This was the very first 'hit'. :(

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00YqyN

_________

John Layton
30-Jan-2015, 10:57
The gentleman who posted there has long since been reimbursed - after bravely holding out. Very sorry to have to leave him disappointed.

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 11:03

Brrr, the poor girl is too scared to go outside ... The snow frightens her... So she only looks on in wonderment and curiosity...

Scott Knowles
30-Jan-2015, 11:34
John, yes I have long received the refund of the deposit and regret the L-45A production could not have been completed to share the camera with other photographers. I would have much rather you kept the deposit in anticipation of a camera than requested the refund (necessary for financial needs). My offer I extended about one of the prototypes still stands, if you're interested. I'd love to have and use a L-45A.

Bill_1856
30-Jan-2015, 12:23
Hijacking thread: What DID happen to the Deardorff saga?

Kirk Gittings
30-Jan-2015, 12:34
on behalf of the esteemed Mr. Hiroshi Sugimoto with "his beloved R. H. Phillips and Sons 8x10 camera":

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/09/arts/jpsugimoto/jpsugimoto-popup.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/09/arts/sugimoto2/sugimoto2-popup.jpg

and the accompanying article:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/arts/design/hiroshi-sugimoto-at-the-american-museum-of-natural-history.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 12:54
Hijacking thread: What DID happen to the Deardorff saga?

Ongoing, look it up on here, there are two main threads, recent updates as well, the search feature is your friend.

Tin Can
30-Jan-2015, 15:01
on behalf of the esteemed Mr. Hiroshi Sugimoto with "his beloved R. H. Phillips and Sons 8x10 camera":

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/09/arts/jpsugimoto/jpsugimoto-popup.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/10/09/arts/sugimoto2/sugimoto2-popup.jpg

and the accompanying article:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/arts/design/hiroshi-sugimoto-at-the-american-museum-of-natural-history.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I like the description of black clad Ninja dodging a light source during the 3.5 minute exposure.

Very cool for a 64 year old shooter...like me.

Bill_1856
31-Jan-2015, 13:23
Kodak 2D (5x7), Wollensak 9" Verito f:4.0, BTZS hood, SLIK 700DX 'pod, K2 Series 8 filter in Kodak sunshade.
The Verito came to me in a Copal #3S shutter. It is mounted on a "top-hat" Technika board, with adapter to the 2D. (I'm working on a new 2D board for it, and a 10X ND filter is on order.)

William Whitaker
31-Jan-2015, 18:28
The temperature moderated slightly today and the wind finally settled down (it must be changing direction 'cause that's about the only time it stops), so I went outside to play or, more accurately, to get some "familiarization training". Some of these things I dream up I need to try to put together practically to see if it will really work. So today I put the 14 1/2" Verito on the Sinar Norma with the Sinar shutter in place as the old Studio shutter is far from being a sync'd operation.

The Verito has a Studio shutter situated amidship leaving a lot of barrel on each end. Clearly, placing the Sinar shutter in its usual spot attached to the back side of the front standard wouldn't work.

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Norma_Verito_01.jpg

The solution is to use an intermediate standard and put the shutter on that, then position it smack at the rear of the rear element. An accessory bellows keeps the dark inside; in this case a bag bellows (which obviously needs cleaning). In the photo the intermediate standard needs to be snugged up against the back of the lens. And now she's ready to go with flash sync on the Sinar shutter.

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Norma_Verito_02.jpg

The Norma is shown atop a Sinar Pan/Tilt head atop a Gitzo G1548 tripod. It's quite stable in that configuration. I had thought that the 8x10 Norma would benefit from having two tripod blocks and that's how I have it set up for studio use on top of my Linhof tripod. But the single tripod block on the Gitzo legs is plenty adequate as long as you keep it balanced.

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Norma_Verito_03.jpg

Tin Can
31-Jan-2015, 18:42
I likey!

Joe Smigiel
31-Jan-2015, 18:58
Kodak 2D (5x7), Wollensak 9" Verito f:4.0, BTZS hood, SLIK 700DX 'pod, K2 Series 8 filter in Kodak sunshade.
The Verito came to me in a Copal #3S shutter. It is mounted on a "top-hat" Technika board, with adapter to the 2D. (I'm working on a new 2D board for it, and a 10X ND filter is on order.)

Nice combo. Do you get any mechanical vignetting with this setup or does it give f/4?

RSalles
31-Jan-2015, 19:02
Will,

These Norma's are gorgeous cameras. I bought recently one of these from UK, and it's crossing the Atlantic Ocean right now. One OT thing I would like to ask you, what type of aluminium cleaning product can I use to clean the rail and alu-exposed parts?

I have already a Sinar F2 and a Sinar Copal shutter, and was trying to figure out how to use long back lenses with this shutter as the Verito, and have arrived to the same setup you're using.

But there is one danger: moving the front standard back and front one can touch the leaves of the shutter with the lens, and depending of the strenght it touches, ruining it. The operation has to be carried out with the WA bellows open to inspect how close the back of the lens is toward the shutter. With the F2 and other more recent cameras, there is a hexagonal shaped hole to fit the Sinar bellows rail. the idea is to use the long rail between the front and intermediate standard to maintain the distance between both always fixed when moving the front standard. I'm not sure if the Norma uses the same bellows rail, but it would be a good idea with the Sinar camera models which accept it.

Cheers,

Renato

Bill_1856
31-Jan-2015, 19:16
Nice combo. Do you get any mechanical vignetting with this setup or does it give f/4?

Thanks.
No vignetting. I don't know about maximum speed yet. There's a 45mm aperture which calculates out to f:5.08, but that is if it were a meniscus lens. As soon as I get some new batteries for my TTL meter I will be able to peg it exactly.

William Whitaker
31-Jan-2015, 19:18
Will,

These Norma's are gorgeous cameras. I bought recently one of these from UK, and it's crossing the Atlantic Ocean right now. One OT thing I would like to ask you, what type of aluminium cleaning product can I use to clean the rail and alu-exposed parts?

I've never tried cleaning the polished aluminum parts. I would start with a clean, soft, dry rag and go from there. When I cleared the oxidation from the cast aluminum parts I went over those with 3M Adhesive Remover sprayed from an aerosol can and wiped them clean of grit and dust. YMMV.

But there is one danger: moving the front standard back and front one can touch the leaves of the shutter with the lens, and depending of the strenght it touches, ruining it. The operation has to be carried out with the WA bellows open to inspect how close the back of the lens is toward the shutter. With the F2 and other more recent cameras, there is a hexagonal shaped hole to fit the Sinar bellows rail. the idea is to use the long rail between the front and intermediate standard to maintain the distance between both always fixed when moving the front standard. I'm not sure if the Norma uses the same bellows rail, but it would be a good idea with the Sinar camera models which accept it.

Cheers,

Renato

The Sinar shutter will open and remain open when the red tab on the side is depressed. I always leave the blades retracted whenever installing, removing, adjusting or storing the shutter. The backside of the 14 1/2" Verito is too big to pass through the shutter aperture. For that same reason, it's important to get the shutter as close as possible to the lens to avoid vignetting. But as always, care is required...

Sergio
1-Feb-2015, 02:14
Hi at all.
Yesterday, -13° first output of my Chamonix 8x10 on Dolomites / Italian Alps,
on the background the Monte Pelmo 3168mt altitude.

esearing
1-Feb-2015, 05:53
My 4x5 Anba
http://www.esearing.com/photography/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/mycamera.jpg

StoneNYC
1-Feb-2015, 11:07
Hi at all.
Yesterday, -13° first output of my Chamonix 8x10 on Dolomites / Italian Alps,
on the background the Monte Pelmo 3168mt altitude.

Wow! Can't wait to see the picture! :)

GPX
3-Feb-2015, 11:43
I am childishly excited to have just purchased my first 8x10 camera. A Wisner Expedition. I plan to use it for some slightly unexpected subjects such as studio fashion photography. I already have a Polaroid 8x10 processor and pack of Impossible 8x10 film ready to go.

In future, if I ever post that I am thinking of going larger than 8x10, shoot me down! Seriously, I must not get carried away and go larger than 8x10, I must be wise enough to know my limits...

Taija71A
3-Feb-2015, 12:37
__

'Very Nice' looking Wisner 8x10 Expedition... eBay Purchase. 11lbs of 8x10 Beauty!

Let us all know... When you finally receive it.
--
Cheers,

-Tim.
_________

snay1345
5-Feb-2015, 21:40
My restored Kodak 2d that I finished just about a month ago. (restored as much as my skills allow for)

http://i.imgur.com/5p4jx6ul.png (http://imgur.com/5p4jx6u)

http://i.imgur.com/73K2axFl.png (http://imgur.com/73K2axF)

Andrew Plume
6-Feb-2015, 00:58
good work, well done you

regards
andrew

William Whitaker
6-Feb-2015, 06:33
I am childishly excited to have just purchased my first 8x10 camera. A Wisner Expedition...

That's lovely! I know you'll enjoy it! My first 8x10 was a Wisner, too. My last Wisner was a 14x17, so I understand the temptations of the big ground glass. Aye, a seductress she be!

aRolleiBrujo
7-Feb-2015, 21:25
Here is my lovely and pristine 4X5, however, I had not expected it to be harder to use for me, so, I am selling it now! :( I don't plan on being a quitter, and I am shooting my 6X6 still, however, I have very little time these days, sadly! I will eventually buy another in the future as I gain better employment hours, plus I do plan on getting an 8X10 to shoot those lovely Polaroids! I plan on using the funds raised to buy a decent light meter, and to fix my Nikon FA!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/16468650612_a4411916f3_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6h94W)lll$_57 (https://flic.kr/p/r6h94W) by a.rodriguezpix (https://www.flickr.com/people/67365062@N06/), on Flickr

Pali K
7-Feb-2015, 21:37
http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222231%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222129%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222404%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_223137%20(Custom).jpg

Recently acquired Deardorff 8x10 V8 and lenses. Addicted to 8x10 already.

-Pali

Degroto
8-Feb-2015, 01:10
Nice camera's. If I think of it I will take some photo's of my 3 large format camera's and post them here. 2 of wich I want to sell or trade for something else. To continued.

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2015, 01:58
Here is my lovely and pristine 4X5, however, I had not expected it to be harder to use for me, so, I am selling it now! :( I don't plan on being a quitter, and I am shooting my 6X6 still, however, I have very little time these days, sadly! I will eventually buy another in the future as I gain better employment hours, plus I do plan on getting an 8X10 to shoot those lovely Polaroids! I plan on using the funds raised to buy a decent light meter, and to fix my Nikon FA!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/16468650612_a4411916f3_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/r6h94W)lll$_57 (https://flic.kr/p/r6h94W) by a.rodriguezpix (https://www.flickr.com/people/67365062@N06/), on Flickr

May I ask what was hard to use about it?

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2015, 02:01
Testing out the new (to me) vehicle that replaced my Saab car with 249,000 miles... :)

This works much better for LF! Camera rain cover in adverse weather and platform for lenses and sitting for long exposures! Can't wait to go off road! (Don't worry I'm still hiking too, but also doing from the car work when appropriate).

Paul Cunningham
8-Feb-2015, 09:11
My 4x5 Anba
http://www.esearing.com/photography/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/mycamera.jpg

Aren't these beautiful? I have one too, and the wood is stamped in several places with a number, in my case ’4'. Is yours similarly marked?
Paul

jp
8-Feb-2015, 09:35
Testing out the new (to me) vehicle that replaced my Saab car with 249,000 miles... :)

This works much better for LF! Camera rain cover in adverse weather and platform for lenses and sitting for long exposures! Can't wait to go off road! (Don't worry I'm still hiking too, but also doing from the car work when appropriate).

Don't expect the trunk to stay up perfectly in cold weather. The shocks fail in colder weather sometime, but it's still convenient.

Still driving my 2000 9-5 and 1991 se convertible. Not so many miles though. Probably 2 years left in the 9-5 before rust ruins it.

Paul Cunningham
8-Feb-2015, 09:56
My Anba Woodview (model with rear swings). Serial number 4?

Sal Santamaura
8-Feb-2015, 10:29
Don't expect the trunk to stay up perfectly in cold weather. The shocks fail in colder weather sometime, but it's still convenient...Ditto on the hatch of that Forester. My wife has one of the same vintage. However, strut failure mode is somewhat random. It gave me no trouble at temperatures as low as 16 degrees F in Grand Canyon last December, but has slowly crept downward in much higher "cold" temperatures here in coastal southern California.

DrTang
8-Feb-2015, 12:23
B&J 8x10 I picked up in pieces..the guy had already stripped off all the ugly battleship gray paint and look - there's really nice blonde wood under all that paint

so I screwed it back together, found a bellows, ordered some ground glass and here it is

Kinda makes you want to scrape off all that paint on yours..no?

I might have powder coated the metal had he not had it chromed

http://www.mericphoto.com/lfp/BJ.jpg

Degroto
8-Feb-2015, 12:58
Here is the first of my 3 large format camera's:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UUT1EH4OswQ/UkcfYqECw7I/AAAAAAAAFrs/JRPM5a5P3wg/s1600/2013-09-18+18.00.26.jpg

Joe Smigiel
8-Feb-2015, 13:18
Kinda makes you want to scrape off all that paint on yours..no?

My 11x14 B&J purchased after it went blonde:

http://my.net-link.net/BA/D5/jsmigiel/images/DIY/1114BnJ.jpg

Jac@stafford.net
8-Feb-2015, 13:25
Don't expect the trunk to stay up perfectly in cold weather. The shocks fail in colder weather sometime [...]

I hate it when that happens, so I have one of these, just in case. Google for 'car strut clamp'. It's handy on slim light stands, too.

To be on topic, this is one of my 4x5 super wides (http://www.digoliardi.net/super-wide-4x5-1.jpg).

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2015, 15:59
Don't expect the trunk to stay up perfectly in cold weather. The shocks fail in colder weather sometime, but it's still convenient.

Still driving my 2000 9-5 and 1991 se convertible. Not so many miles though. Probably 2 years left in the 9-5 before rust ruins it.

Thanks, I once had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE with trunk shocks that needed replacement due to cold weather falling, but this was shot in 8 degrees Fahrenheit so I'm doing ok, if it needs to be replaced in a few years no big deal it's an easy change out. But good to keep in mind. There's always those things called sticks if I get in a bind ;)

Yea my 2000 Saab 9-5'a engine essentially exploded, decided to replace it myself, by the time I finished (about a month later) I had bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero so I sold the 2000 9-5 lol, the 2001 is what has 249,000 miles, the Jeep Grand Cherokee had 225,000 when I sold it for $2,000 but this Saab was a trade in at a dealership so I didn't get much...

Hope to have this new one for at least 100,000 miles, the only thing I have to worry about is the rear differential which tend to wear out on these, but that's exactly what I was told would ware out on the Grand Cherokee and so far so good.

Back to the camera, I love that this thing is tall and the trunk hatch opens tall, I can stand up fully and not bump my head (I'm 5'9"... Or technically 174cm for you metric folk, I like metric better it's more precise) so using the view camera underneath is actually do-able, I'm looking forward to an opportunity to give it a try.

Ditto on the hatch of that Forester. My wife has one of the same vintage. However, strut failure mode is somewhat random. It gave me no trouble at temperatures as low as 16 degrees F in Grand Canyon last December, but has slowly crept downward in much higher "cold" temperatures here in coastal southern California.

Thanks, this isn't a forester, I haven't said what make it is because I get enough flack from a few jealous people recently when it comes to me buying nicer gear like my Chanonix 8x10 and new holders etc and don't need to hear them complaining that I just have money to blow, I don't, but I tend to buy higher end things and then use them until they are well loved, I budget well and sacrifice smaller things to get the bigger things, I hope the mileage numbers on the Saab are proof of that, but anyway, it's a 2008 Land Rover, it already has 111,000 miles on it, but was $5,000 less than the others of the same year I looked at that only had 80,000 miles but this one seemed in much better condition and better kept, engine and such sounded new, cleaner nick free interior etc. So I went with this one. The used "luxury" car market is actually cheaper than the normal market (Toyota, Honda, Chevy) and honestly the parts are the same price, the labor is more from a dealer but if you can do it yourself, which I can, the price is the same and you end up with a nicer overall value IMO.

I'll keep an eye on the shocks though, wouldn't want that to fall on the camera, so thanks for the warning.

I hate it when that happens, so I have one of these, just in case. Google for 'car strut clamp'. It's handy on slim light stands, too.

To be on topic, this is one of my 4x5 super wides (http://www.digoliardi.net/super-wide-4x5-1.jpg).

Nifty, I would worry that might marr the strut and then cause it to fail even more, no? But good idea, can always just use a light stand grip head to hold it too.

jp
8-Feb-2015, 18:52

That clamp looks nice. I have used a piece of pine strapping (cut to the perfect length) to prop it up in the past when I had a hatchback. I could put some big camera stuff in a hatchback car.

esearing
9-Feb-2015, 19:36
Aren't these beautiful? I have one too, and the wood is stamped in several places with a number, in my case ’4'. Is yours similarly marked?
Paul

I can not find any stamps or markings on the wood or metal.

Paul Cunningham
9-Feb-2015, 19:54
I can not find any stamps or markings on the wood or metal.

It might be very hard to see, if it's even there. Here are two places on mine, and there is a third under the rails.

(Where red circles are)

aRolleiBrujo
9-Feb-2015, 20:44
May I ask what was hard to use about it?

StoneNYC, I was afraid of failure! I guess i was over my head after, especially since I almost never planned on using it anywhere other than inside! :(In the meantime it is back to my Pentacon Six TL 6X6!

Corran
11-Feb-2015, 17:07
Mini-Large-Format

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/linhof70swamps.jpg

Tim Meisburger
11-Feb-2015, 17:23
Interesting Paul. I had not seen that model, with the extra knob. The ordinary one will also do rear swing; just push one side forward and the other back.

My Anba Woodview (model with rear swings). Serial number 4?

Tin Can
11-Feb-2015, 17:50
Mini-Large-Format

I have bad movie thoughts about that tree. Deliverance? Equivalence? Physiologist?

I guess I do look at some images...

esearing
11-Feb-2015, 18:12
It might be very hard to see, if it's even there. Here are two places on mine, and there is a third under the rails.

(Where red circles are)

I didn't think to look inside. Mine has two 1's or 11.

tangyimail
11-Feb-2015, 19:05
Nice legs......:cool:

Mini-Large-Format

ntsmith69
12-Feb-2015, 09:18
very cool .. anyone know anythng of scovill mfc company,, i found one in the basement of a store a bought also a century studio 10A with stand..the scovill for what can tell was was before adams cam in some i am guessing 1860s,, i found a lens cc harrison number 6873 i think from the same time frame. and also an eastman modeal 33a camera.. is there any value to any of theses and would that lens go with the scovill..

alavergh
14-Feb-2015, 22:13
This is a camera that I posted around a month ago. I was considering getting it and I pulled the trigger.

It's what I believe to be something along the lines of a Burke & James Grover. I'm not quite sure when it was made, but I'm going to guess a good way of approximating is to see when the company ended, and then guessing a little before that.

Either way, the brochure for the camera seems to put it with it's own special tripod. The way the clamp is designed, it doesn't fit on many tripod heads very well, and it certainly won't really work with a quick release plate. I decided to get a Bosch Contractor's Tripod from The Home Depot. It works well and it's much sturdier than my normal tripod and slightly modified head.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8592/16348281747_a7316b1048_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qUDdAF)

Colin Graham
15-Feb-2015, 09:56
Damp morning with 5x7 at Kalaloch, Washington.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7321/16513647906_28768a9e13_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rafLcm)

AlexGard
15-Feb-2015, 10:56
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/r270/10835436_1543686852570332_3002523380227428568_o.jpg

My Chamonix 045-f1 shooting Shark Fin Mountain in Antarctica.... that's not snow... it's ice. I had to put the tripod on the rock because gusts of wind would make the tripod slide around on the ice! (no spikes)

Those boulders that you can see in the left of the picture are boulders that have fallen from the mountain from the insane winds these mountains cop (can get up to 110-120 knots!), and then drifted as the ice slowly moves towards the sea with time, as it is fluid. On our trip to this particular mountain, there was a "river" of these enormous boulders, in a freakishly uniform line leading to the mountain for about 5 kilometres. Apparently a Russian plane crashed into these mountains in the 60's, and has since drifted 4 kilometres North with the moving ice.

To give an idea of how thick the ice is, lets just say you're only seeing the cap of that mountain! (somewhere in the realm of 800m thick)

Can't wait to get home and get these sheets developed! 6 more weeks!!!

My ultimate goal at the moment is to bring wet plate down here... logistically it will be very hard, considering as I haven't even started the process yet. I have about 6 months to get up to scratch, so far with lots and lots of reading under my belt (read all the manuals I could find...)... I want to channel Hurley!

StoneNYC
15-Feb-2015, 12:08
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/r270/10835436_1543686852570332_3002523380227428568_o.jpg

My Chamonix 045-f1 shooting Shark Fin Mountain in Antarctica.... that's not snow... it's ice. I had to put the tripod on the rock because gusts of wind would make the tripod slide around on the ice! (no spikes)

Those boulders that you can see in the left of the picture are boulders that have fallen from the mountain from the insane winds these mountains cop (can get up to 110-120 knots!), and then drifted as the ice slowly moves towards the sea with time, as it is fluid. On our trip to this particular mountain, there was a "river" of these enormous boulders, in a freakishly uniform line leading to the mountain for about 5 kilometres. Apparently a Russian plane crashed into these mountains in the 60's, and has since drifted 4 kilometres North with the moving ice.

To give an idea of how thick the ice is, lets just say you're only seeing the cap of that mountain! (somewhere in the realm of 800m thick)

Can't wait to get home and get these sheets developed! 6 more weeks!!!

My ultimate goal at the moment is to bring wet plate down here... logistically it will be very hard, considering as I haven't even started the process yet. I have about 6 months to get up to scratch, so far with lots and lots of reading under my belt (read all the manuals I could find...)... I want to channel Hurley!

I'm going to preface this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about wet plate, except that it is wet, and even in semi cold conditions not even freezing conditions it proves difficult or impossible to get a good pour and image, especially difficult is the difference in temperature between the base material whatever you decide to use, and the actual liquid which will be hotter, and cause issues as well if they do not match temperature, then you have the change in temperature as the plate gets colder moving it from wherever you've poured to the camera... So dry plate might be better?

AlexGard
15-Feb-2015, 13:14
I'm going to preface this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about wet plate, except that it is wet, and even in semi cold conditions not even freezing conditions it proves difficult or impossible to get a good pour and image, especially difficult is the difference in temperature between the base material whatever you decide to use, and the actual liquid which will be hotter, and cause issues as well if they do not match temperature, then you have the change in temperature as the plate gets colder moving it from wherever you've poured to the camera... So dry plate might be better?

I've been reading about the alcohol/ether containment.

It's very, very dry down here (Antarctica is driest continent on earth)

Generally when I'd be shooting plates it would be around -1 to -10 environments (anything colder is generally windy and being outdoors with wet plate in those conditions is virtually impossible I'd believe as the collodion would start freezing in a matter of seconds). I'm sure there is an alcohol/ether balance I can find for those conditions.

The ship has a darkroom on board. Poring + sensistiziing is possible, although the plates would only be able to be taken around on board the ship.

Dry plates may be better, but given the chance I'm more than happy to try wet... I think it's doable.

jp
15-Feb-2015, 13:20
This is a camera that I posted around a month ago. I was considering getting it and I pulled the trigger.

It's what I believe to be something along the lines of a Burke & James Grover. I'm not quite sure when it was made, but I'm going to guess a good way of approximating is to see when the company ended, and then guessing a little before that.

Either way, the brochure for the camera seems to put it with it's own special tripod. The way the clamp is designed, it doesn't fit on many tripod heads very well, and it certainly won't really work with a quick release plate. I decided to get a Bosch Contractor's Tripod from The Home Depot. It works well and it's much sturdier than my normal tripod and slightly modified head.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8592/16348281747_a7316b1048_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qUDdAF)

The Bosch tripod is pretty decent. I've got one. I like that little clamp/tripod head. The rail on that camera looks like a black powder rifle barrel with the sight broken off at the front. The black knobs and aluminum uprights look pretty B&J to me.

RSalles
15-Feb-2015, 19:31
Hi Alex,

Where are you in Antarctica, I mean where was your "entry point", by the see or just crossing the canal coming from Ushuaya? I find very interesting your journey with a LF camera to this area, but found the tripod you're using too lightweight for this environment due to the wind conditions,

Cheers,

Renato

AlexGard
16-Feb-2015, 00:37
I am at Mawson Station, pretty far West. We came here from Hobart, Australia, it took us about 13 days from memory to get here. The ice conditions this trip have been favourable and we got into Mawson very easily
We're a working ship, not a tourist ship.

The tripod has actually been really good up until this point. It is very lightweight, and with the Chamonix on top it's as light as a feather. It is surprisingly sturdy, too. I do have a wooden Berlebach tripod as well for when I'm not travelling too far. Although that tripod isn't as sturdy as I'd hoped when handling the 8x10...

jesse
16-Feb-2015, 01:28
My large format camera and lens collection up to this moment :o
http://forum.hklfc.com/data/attachment/forum/201502/09/173002ue761l44ue27uue8.jpg

brucep
16-Feb-2015, 03:32
I have a golden rule that no more than 3 lenses or 2 cameras are ever together at the same time so I don't have to explain why I have so much kit.

Steven Tribe
16-Feb-2015, 04:02
I have a golden rule that no more than 3 lenses or 2 cameras are ever together at the same time so I don't have to explain why I have so much kit.

I have a similar rule. All my equipment is spread over 5 rooms/storerooms or loaned out to others. The total bulk/quantity is hard to conceal though and postal deliveries are quite a challenge. I try to have at least a couple of well publicised sales every year.

Steven Tribe
16-Feb-2015, 04:28
I want to channel Hurley!

You might want to avoid the Elephant Island experience!
Didn't he use dry plates on the Shackleton adventure?

Andrew Plume
16-Feb-2015, 04:39
Holy cow.....................

are you stopping at this lovely small collection...................and btw how often do you use each one......?

really decent collection etc

regards
andrew

Bill_1856
16-Feb-2015, 07:06
http://forum.hklfc.com/data/attachment/forum/201502/09/173002ue761l44ue27uue8.jpg

Jesse, what is the big camera?

jesse
16-Feb-2015, 07:41
Jesse, what is the big camera?

It is Shenhao 8x10

vinny
16-Feb-2015, 07:57
Holy shit!
The first step is admitting that you have a problem.

alavergh
16-Feb-2015, 08:25
The Bosch tripod is pretty decent. I've got one. I like that little clamp/tripod head. The rail on that camera looks like a black powder rifle barrel with the sight broken off at the front. The black knobs and aluminum uprights look pretty B&J to me.

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from with that rifle thing. I could see it myself originally. Searching "Burke & James Grover 8x10" will show me many similar monorails, though more silvery. I'm not sure which the original was, I'm guessing it is originally silvery, but the person who had this camera before I, must have painted it and refinished all the painted gray wood. I definitely like the wood better. I still need to decide how I'm going to try to clean some of the mechanism. I'm guessing the knobs on a B&J monorail should turn pretty easily. Mine take some muscle.

Oh, also, he bottom of the clamp/tripod head says B&J on it.

StoneNYC
16-Feb-2015, 10:00

Yeah you definitely have a problem, I can certainly help you with that problem ;)

But seriously, the majority of those lenses are not even in boards so you must not be using them, you should rethink your usage and not hold onto so many unused lenses, they need love and they need to be actuated to keep fresh. How often do you shoot?

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Feb-2015, 10:50
Yeah you definitely have a problem, I can certainly help you with that problem ;)

But seriously, the majority of those lenses are not even in boards so you must not be using them, you should rethink your usage and not hold onto so many unused lenses, they need love and they need to be actuated to keep fresh. How often do you shoot?

Hey! THose of us who are accused of being hoarders need our stuff! Don't pick on us!

m

Jmarmck
16-Feb-2015, 10:55
Holy shit!
lololololol
You should see my guitars..............I cannot blame jesse.

Tin Can
16-Feb-2015, 11:29

Stone, telling someone what to do, is as useless as suggesting what you do.

We are slowly finding out what you have, by your own admissions...

I admire Jesse's collection. It's very nice!

StoneNYC
16-Feb-2015, 12:00
Stone, telling someone what to do, is as useless as suggesting what you do.

We are slowly finding out what you have, by your own admissions...

I admire Jesse's collection. It's very nice!

What I have?

It's on my profile what I have... Lol! I don't hide anything.

jesse
16-Feb-2015, 12:10

Hi Stone, all of my lenses are with a metal adapter that can be use on Copal 1, Copal 3 or Compound 4 shutter, some can be using Sinar shutter.
I will try to use them all in coming year.

RSalles
16-Feb-2015, 21:18
One question - after have seen a realy nice collection: what field cameras can be used with a Sinar Copal shutter - apart the Sinar cameras, of course?

Renato

Jody_S
16-Feb-2015, 21:33
Holy shit!

I don't see it. What problem?

StoneNYC
16-Feb-2015, 23:01
Hi Stone, all of my lenses are with a metal adapter that can be use on Copal 1, Copal 3 or Compound 4 shutter, some can be using Sinar shutter.
I will try to use them all in coming year.

Good man ;)

jesse
17-Feb-2015, 00:57
One question - after have seen a realy nice collection: what field cameras can be used with a Sinar Copal shutter - apart the Sinar cameras, of course?

Renato

You can use a Sinar-to-Linhof adapter, see the photos 129356129357

Steven Tribe
17-Feb-2015, 01:14

It is possible to make an adapter for a large percentage of large (full plate upwards) tailboard cameras (large/simple front standards). This involves:-

- unsticking the front bellows from the standard.
- mounting the bellows on a thin metal plate.
- making a distance piece frame (around equal to, or greater than 2 cm). This allows for space to adjust speed, mounting able release and etc.
- making the necessay combination of copies of the sinar attachment system.

I made a temporary conversion set 4 years ago, to try out the system, before making a more "prof" version. I am still using the first model! There are a few light "cracks" due to (my) poor workmanship. These are at right-angles and I always drop the focussing cloth around the area to make sure. This is a much travelled 18x24cm reisekamera, where I use exclusively barrel lenses.
-

RSalles
17-Feb-2015, 12:44
Ok, I got it, very smart solution.
Another question: what field camera brand/models accept the size of the Sinar lens board, to a direct fit, with no need to adapt anything?

Thanks,

Renato