PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Polaroid 8X10 processor?

W K Longcor
28-May-2008, 12:33
So Polaroid has announced the end of their instant film. Has anybody come up with a creative use for the 8X10 Polaroid Processing system? I no longer have a boat -- so I don't need an anchor.:eek:

Walter Calahan
28-May-2008, 14:33
Yeah, I've got a big box in the basement with a cherry 8x10 processor. My dream of dreams is someone licenses the technology from Polaroid to make some more.

Fairy tales may come true. HA!

Ralph Barker
28-May-2008, 15:59
A flower press? ;)

captainslack
28-May-2008, 18:34
I'd eBay it while there's still time to get a decent return on it.

David A. Goldfarb
28-May-2008, 19:01
545 holders make good paperweights, but 8x10" processors can be transformed into substantial doorstops.

I'm thinking about whether mine could be regeared so the top roller moves faster than the bottom to function as a calendaring press for albumen prints.

D. Bryant
28-May-2008, 20:54
Put it in an unmarked box and drop a bit of powdered sugar or corn starch or baking soda in with it. Tape it up and leave it in the lobby of your nearest Federal Building.

Be sure to do this in a clean room, no fingerprints, no hair fibers and no saliva or you will make a lot of new buddies in the FBI pretty fast.

Go for it Dan! We will send you post cards while you are in the federal pen.

Don Bryant

Ralph Barker
29-May-2008, 06:42
Once collected in one location, they could also be partially buried at an angle to make a Polaroid Farm. (They're too small to be a "ranch" ala the Cadillac Ranch.)

Dave Wooten
29-May-2008, 07:05
If they dont act on the technology-the license- does one have to acquire "rights" to produce? I thought in case of a patent one actually had to use it to keep it? If abandonded couldnt another company product the product?

Ash
29-May-2008, 07:14
David I really like your idea for using it as a press.

I've been meaning to set up for Bromoil printing, and you need a very strong press to make duplicates.

W K Longcor
29-May-2008, 14:04
Well, maybe I won't put my equipment on the junk pile yet. This possible use as a press seems interesting -- but, do you think the high speed __zzzziiiipppp!through the rollers would cause problems with the bromoil papers?

cyrus
29-May-2008, 23:21
Drop kick it?

Greg Lockrey
29-May-2008, 23:29
Drop kick it?

Ouch!:eek:

Ted Stoddard
30-May-2008, 10:08
Nahhh dont use as a door stop or drop kick it give it to me i want them all lol

Ash
30-May-2008, 10:33
W K... just change the speed by reducing the current through or adjusting any internal motors. Easiest way is to add a variable resistor.

BarryS
30-May-2008, 11:36
There's no way you're going to pull good bromoil prints on one of those processors. Normally, you'd use an etching press and those presses exert *a lot* of pressure. I say turn it into a pasta machine.

Asher Kelman
30-May-2008, 11:37
W K... just change the speed by reducing the current through or adjusting any internal motors. Easiest way is to add a variable resistor.

Will Thomson was jealous of my electric 8x10 processor so he put in a drill motor in his US Navy hardened hand cranked processor. It works using standard rechargeable drill batteries. One can I guess vary the speed or even reverse the motor to bring the paper to orgasms!

I have two boxes of color film that I'm saving for something great! I'm hearing rumblings of an alternate producer. Meanwhile B&W film is still available.

Asher

Frank Petronio
30-May-2008, 22:39
Maybe if you tinker there is hope...

http://processmediainc.com/press/mini_sites/sex_machines

Come up with a good one and who knows? Old 8x10 processors may appreciate.

Greg Lockrey
30-May-2008, 22:45

OH, MY VIRGIN EYES!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

David A. Goldfarb
31-May-2008, 01:01

With an Afterword by no less than A. D. Coleman!