PDA

View Full Version : What quick release for Speed Graphics

gevalia
27-May-2008, 13:12
Guys,

I am brand spankin' new to LF. Bought a Speed Graphics on fleabay to get my feet wet with 4x5. I have a solid tripod that I am happy with that has an Arca ballhead and ARCA quick release. I am looking for a plate that can be used with this setup. Most plates I see have ridges or protrusions that will not let the camera lie flat. I am also wondering about the area side of the plate itself and whether I should be concerned about the 1 or 2 inch length/width size of the plates offered and whether it will damage the bottom of the camera. Maybe I'm being a little overly cautions but I'm use to either digital or MF where the camera base is metal or "somewhat" tougher plastic.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron

Frank Petronio
27-May-2008, 13:30
Just do a search on eBay and buy the longest flat Arca compatible plate from one of the generic vendors, cut it in half with a bandsaw or hacksaw, and screw one into the horizontal hole and one into the vertical hole.

Here is a nice one: http://cgi.ebay.com/KIRK-ENTERPRISES-8-ARCA-TYPE-UNIVERSAL-MOUNTING-PLATE_W0QQitemZ380030272983QQihZ025QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cutting it in half saves you $50

gevalia
27-May-2008, 14:03
Thanks Frank. I didn't know Kirk sold thru ebay. Good to know. Their sales people are always trying to upsell you on the phone.

Glenn Thoreson
27-May-2008, 18:33
I wouldn't worry too much about the strength of the tripod socket on these. They're a lot tougher than you think. Enjoy your new camera. :D