PDA

View Full Version : ColorSpan Esprit LF printer, any experience?

Bill Glickman
18-Jan-2001, 15:24
I am interested in hearing any input from users with experience with either Colo rspans new Display Maker Esprit or the Series XII. I have heard mixed reviews a nd would appreicate any input. I plan to use it for archivable landscape prints ...it appears their version of long life UV inks is the ultimate cross over poin t for longevity and vivid colors. Thank you in advance...

Jerry Gryz
26-Mar-2001, 04:00
I am interested (same as you) to learn more about DisplayMaker Esprit. Just three days ago I spoke with sales person from Colorspan. He informed me that DisplayMaker Esprit is the right printer for Fine Art reproductions, and is capable of printing Giclee quality prints, using proper RIP. If somebody have any experience with DisplayMaker Esprit, please contect me by email. Thank you for advise. Jerry Gryz

Boris Missirkov
19-May-2001, 15:38
Well, our studio in Sofia, Bulgaria just bought an Esprit a couple of weeks ago. First impressions: the prints are really nice, but all profiles supplied with the software RIP definitely need tuning. The total ink limit for almost any media is too high and the inks are literally flowing on the paper. The slight problem is that you need at least additional 2500$ for the Color Mark software and use the printer's CCD camera and a lot of media to build your custom profiles - or borrow a ColorSpan server with an X-Rite DTP41.

The other problem is the ink delivery system - a really tricky one. Once you've got some 10-20% of any colour left, you have to start playing quite complicate game of squeezing the ink in the pack towards the pipe to avoid vacuum problems, placing the pack at different height so that the ink flow does not stop, and so on. As someone at FLAAR site said, it's "operator intensive" - and I'm getting to understand this now...

As a whole, the Esprit still seems a good solution for our photographic needs - as long as we manage to find a solution to calibrate the profiles and learn the inks game...

Any suggestions for Web sources on fine-art large format printing - colour and B/W?

All

byard pidgeon
10-Nov-2001, 20:16
I evaluated several large format printers, and then purchased an Esprit, along with the RIP server. I haven't found it difficult to maintain...in fact, I've been pleasantly surprised that after it's left alone for days, I can run a prime strip and then just print. I've found, so far, that what I see on my Mac monitor is very close to what the printer produces. I've also done some tests of the EnduraChrome inks, by putting several sections of a print in different light...one received full morning sun in an east window from July 20 through October 20, and is still barely distinguishable from another section that received no sun for the same time...it is very slightly faded, but shows no color shift. If possible, I suggest attending ColorSpan's free training and maintenence seminars, as I intend to do in the spring.

digital_imagepro
5-Mar-2007, 10:21
Hi everybody

If any are interest it in 3rd party inks, heads and profilers resetteble for Colorspan DMXII and Esprit, contact me at digital_imagepro@hotmail.com

Thanks

maltuzar
16-Mar-2009, 12:55
Does anyone have a Colorspan Espirit Displaymaker 5000 - Model DM5100.
I just bought a used one and some components are missing and would like some help on how to find these components.

Would certainly appreciate it.

john_samojedny
27-Oct-2010, 01:46
Hi I don't know if your still around but I have a Colorspan Display Maker 5000 it's model DM5000, but it might work, I have probably 10 ink cartridges for it to let me know if your interested I'm trying to get rid of it for dirt cheap